Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 10-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Active Hybrid 7
Creak/rattle from headliner/sunroof....

Does anyone else have a mild, but pretty consistent creak/rattle/noise that comes above your head while driving? Sounds like the headliner, where it meets the cutout for the moonroof. It does not happen while driving on smooth surfaces (highway), but really is noticeable when streets are not really smooth, or going down a hill, or up a hill that has variations in the street quality and incline/decline. It is not the seatbelt, B pillar or door lock!

It has done this for about 4000 miles, but is now getting to be really frequent. Anyone else? Fix? Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2010, 04:47 AM

Mein Auto: '14 750i
I don't know if this helps, but I thought an annoying rattle was coming from the driver door lock. It turns out it was the little storage compartment near the driver left knee.

My main annoying rattle that I can't easily fix appears to come from the LCD screen in the console.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 750LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch100 View Post
Does anyone else have a mild, but pretty consistent creak/rattle/noise that comes above your head while driving? Sounds like the headliner, where it meets the cutout for the moonroof. It does not happen while driving on smooth surfaces (highway), but really is noticeable when streets are not really smooth, or going down a hill, or up a hill that has variations in the street quality and incline/decline. It is not the seatbelt, B pillar or door lock!

It has done this for about 4000 miles, but is now getting to be really frequent. Anyone else? Fix? Thanks!
I have a similar noise but not from above, I am sure the noise is coming from the front passenger seat. Never any noise when seat is occupied.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:45 PM
UNCBimmer7

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by texgeekboy View Post
I don't know if this helps, but I thought an annoying rattle was coming from the driver door lock. It turns out it was the little storage compartment near the driver left knee.

My main annoying rattle that I can't easily fix appears to come from the LCD screen in the console.
I think anything you are not happy with, you can go to the dealer and get it fixed for free. Just let them confirm there is a problem. You are under Warranty!!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
I have this same exact rattle - at the headliner / sunroof area - but on the passenger side - heard while driving. What must be done to resolve same? Why are our cars so prone to rattles!? We've had a 1994 W140 since new, and except for a sun visor rattle, not one other to date. Not happy at all. Thank you.

Last edited by dbs600; 06-08-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 750Li
I too have the same rattle. I can actually identify mine by pressing on the headliner. Haven't had till to take to the dealer but should not be a difficult fix
Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Active Hybrid 7
Yeah, pressing on the headliner, near the sunroof, pretty much duplicates the rattle. I would imagine it should be easy to fix. Just worries me, the grease monkeys, taking headliners and parts apart! Sometimes, creates much worse rattles!!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Just dropped mine off to have them get rid of a few noise problems. Was hearing a clicking during tight turns (may be the front wheel bearing), some light rattling near the driver's side b-pillar, and some wind noise at speeds over 80 near the driver's side door lock area. Had the foreman sit in my car so I could replicate all of the noise for him, since I don't want them trying to give me any b/s later about not being able to replicate anything. Will update as to the outcome once I get it back.

On another note - the issue with loaners at BMW Dealers is really getting me pretty angry. All they had was a Camry and a Ford Escape. No BMW's. BMW NA should be forcing these dealers to keep a certain # of bmw loaners on hand, because I hear about this nonsense happening all of the time at different dealers. Some don't want to give rentals/loaners to anyone that didn't buy their car at that dealership - even for warranty repairs. I never hear about Lexus or Benz pulling this s*** with their owners. Sucks for the SA, but I'm not giving a 10 on the review form to any dealer that gives me something lower than a 3 series as loaner.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue

Last edited by AdamG13; 06-14-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:43 PM

Are rattles / creaks actually covered under warranty? If not, are they something dealers 'good-wills' on an individual basis? And whether yes or no, up to how many miles / years do you suppose dealers are willing/able to provide loaners, investigate, and repair same?
Old 06-14-2011, 06:25 PM

They should be covered under the standard warranty, though I remember seeing in the fine print on a CPO BMW I owned that they won't cover wind noise etc. once the CPO warranty kicks in.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 06-17-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG13 View Post
Just dropped mine off to have them get rid of a few noise problems. Was hearing a clicking during tight turns (may be the front wheel bearing), some light rattling near the driver's side b-pillar, and some wind noise at speeds over 80 near the driver's side door lock area. Had the foreman sit in my car so I could replicate all of the noise for him, since I don't want them trying to give me any b/s later about not being able to replicate anything. Will update as to the outcome once I get it back.

On another note - the issue with loaners at BMW Dealers is really getting me pretty angry. All they had was a Camry and a Ford Escape. No BMW's. BMW NA should be forcing these dealers to keep a certain # of bmw loaners on hand, because I hear about this nonsense happening all of the time at different dealers. Some don't want to give rentals/loaners to anyone that didn't buy their car at that dealership - even for warranty repairs. I never hear about Lexus or Benz pulling this s*** with their owners. Sucks for the SA, but I'm not giving a 10 on the review form to any dealer that gives me something lower than a 3 series as loaner.
Got it back. Took 2 days. Steering noise had something to do with the brake pad. Leveled it out and put some kinda lubricant on it. Also added some type of lubricant to the b-pillar seal. Rattling seems to be gone, as well as the steering noise.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 06-18-2011, 08:37 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I've noticed a similar very slight "rustling" sound on my F10 535i. I have found that it's the upper console panel. If I gently hold that panel the noise stops. It's not really too annoying but noticeable on rough surfaces. I was wondering if it might be possible to wedge a very small shim at the seam to keep it a little tigher, haven't tried anything yet.

As for the earlier reported passenger seat rattle, I found that if I raise the passenger headrest ever so slightly, the noise goes away. Of course when someone is sitting in the seat, the seat is not vibrating as it does when unoccupied, so there is no rattle.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 PM

Any update on this rattle!? I still have it, among others. :|
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 PM

Did you end up complaining with BMW NA? I make it a point to complain to everyone I can when these service centers don't perform. If they don't want to put up with non-emergency repairs, they shouldn't be selling cars at this price point.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue