Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Captain Roundel's Avatar
Captain Roundel Captain Roundel is offline
Underachiever
Location: Northern Californicate
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 538
Mein Auto: 328,Z3, X3
Interested in an X3

We are looking at a used X3. Are there any big issues with an X3? The year is 2004 with 52K miles on the clock. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 04-24-2012, 06:24 PM
MADBMWX3 MADBMWX3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Aldie, VA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 147
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3
Dang, almost as good as the one I found: 2005 with 40801 miles...well..not any more No issues thus far, but let the veterans chime in...also roam around the forums.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 PM
mlukas161's Avatar
mlukas161 mlukas161 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: WNY
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 936
Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Yes, there are a few things to check. Search this forum as this has been discussed in great detail and you may find more answers. I'll get you started with a few items.
2004 is stiff riding. More so than other years.
Sunroof track breaks.
Rear coil springs break. Pigtails break off.
2004-2006 are very reliable for the most part.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Wongway Wongway is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 329
Mein Auto: BMW X3
'05 here, with 145,000 miles.

Only one mechanical failure so far; front drive shaft was coming apart at the knuckle. Replaced with used for ~$500.

Electrical niceties however;
Sunroof still works, however I get a mysterious leak in the farthest corner of the trunk area close to the driver side tail light. I suspect it's a clogged sunroof drain, however the dealer has still not found it. In the meantime, the Bluetooth unit has shorted out and I won't replace it till I find the leak.

Sunroof panels rattle against each other above 50+ mph so I just never bother using it. Too afraid of it breaking for good now.

Rear wiper motor went and that was a pretty expensive repair.


Outside of that, everything still works and it drives as hard and as well as it did brand new. I'm frankly surprised it's done this well and most people will find that the 04-06 models are quite reliable. Leaks and a few other relatively minor issues maybe, but mechanically sound.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-25-2012, 06:20 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,560
Mein Auto: '06 X3
My '06 has been pretty reliable and was bulletproof up until just after the warranty ended at 50K miles -- then started to have some problems. First the fuel return valve failed, then the MAF, then the front brakes needed replacement (I expected that) but aside from new tires at 48K miles (my choice, the OEM scorpions were hard riding but still had tread) it has been fine up to 80K miles. I was told though at the last oil service that the rear diff was starting to leak and there were a couple of other things that had to be done so it would be a pretty expensive 90K service. To be fair, the worst thing about this car has been the horrible ride over rough roads. My wife hates the car (might have something to do with a latte bouncing out of the pax cup holder all over a Chanel suit) and never fails to tell me how stupid I was to buy a car that rode worse than a 48 Ford transverse suspension coupe. If you want an X3 be sure to take it for a long test drive -- and be sure to hit some raised expansion jointed freeways, pot holed streets, and rough pavement along with the smooth asphalt -- over which it excels I might add. Good luck!

Last edited by UncleJ; 04-25-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 AM
MichiganApril MichiganApril is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lake Ann, MI
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 106
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW x3 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Roundel View Post
We are looking at a used X3. Are there any big issues with an X3? The year is 2004 with 52K miles on the clock. Thanks in advance!
NICE! mileage is pretty low on that one! i bought my '04 x3 2.5i just this past fall,
and it had 94,000 miles on it! (now ofcourse its over 100K!) But as for problems, you are going to hear this from ALOT OF BMW x3 owners---- the panoramic sunroof is faulty...
I didn't WANT TO BELIEVE it-- but it's true, i've only owned this x3 for 6 months or so, and ALREADY the panoramic sunroof "TILT" option gets stuck in the TILT mode, and won't come back down- which, i've found out from the BMW dealership is fixable at 1,700 with a special kit they order SOOO...one of the MAIN reasons i LOVED this x3 when i bought it- is NOW not really working!
Other than that, I love my x3 all the way around, and yes- it does have a rough ride, but ofcourse most suv-type vehicles DO have a rough ride
OH and another thing-- you must know that the gas will be "SUPER unleaded" only- 91' grade or better-- which means filling up comes upwards to 60$ or more- and MPG is REALISTICALLY between 20-24-- but i guess that is better than some OTHER suv-type vehicles.

hope i was some help
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Captain Roundel's Avatar
Captain Roundel Captain Roundel is offline
Underachiever
Location: Northern Californicate
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 538
Mein Auto: 328,Z3, X3
Thanks all. We have passed on that X3 as it was a dealer loaner and not very clean.
This is for wifey, and a sunroof is a must!
I will look at some newer models.
Ive been around BMW a long time and every model has it's own quirks!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-25-2012, 10:51 AM
legalfee's Avatar
legalfee legalfee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lexington, SC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 394
Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
Good luck finding one. We have 95K on our 2004 2.5 and the only issue I've had is a wet passenger floorboard after a heavy rain. It stays in a garage most of the time so it's not an issue.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-25-2012, 12:28 PM
MichiganApril MichiganApril is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lake Ann, MI
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 106
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW x3 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Roundel View Post
Thanks all. We have passed on that X3 as it was a dealer loaner and not very clean.
This is for wifey, and a sunroof is a must!
I will look at some newer models.
Ive been around BMW a long time and every model has it's own quirks!
WOW- i thought dealer*****ers were suppose to be VERY clean? i guess i was mistaken!
and yeah- i'm a wifey too--- and it's ALL ABOUT the sunroof BABY YEAH!! i just personally think they're sexy
I guess the '08 was suppose to be the better year for sunroofs though-
GOOD LUCK! hope you will be joining the Beemer group for good
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 PM
MichiganApril MichiganApril is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lake Ann, MI
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 106
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW x3 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganApril View Post
WOW- i thought dealer*****ers were suppose to be VERY clean? i guess i was mistaken!
and yeah- i'm a wifey too--- and it's ALL ABOUT the sunroof BABY YEAH!! i just personally think they're sexy
I guess the '08 was suppose to be the better year for sunroofs though-
GOOD LUCK! hope you will be joining the Beemer group for good
uhmm--- i don't know why there were asteriks in my post?? weird... i didn't say anything bad!- i promise! that's kind of weird, why did it put those asteriks in the beginning of my post?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-25-2012, 07:49 PM
elevatorguy925 elevatorguy925 is offline
Sanity is over rated
Location: In my own world
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: Silver 2006 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Roundel View Post
We are looking at a used X3. Are there any big issues with an X3? The year is 2004 with 52K miles on the clock. Thanks in advance!
I hve a 06, bought at around 51k. I would avoid the sport suspension as well as the other items noted, I have the non sport and it is a bit stiff but I can overlook it due to the handling. I have also heard trouble with the heated seats burning up and the actuator for the 4x4 failing on some cars. I have had 40 plus cars and trucks and really like the X3
__________________

Silverstar upgraded headlights
Velocity motoring vb3 19" 9.5 wheels
Yokahama S drive tires
Upgraded stereo system
Dice Mediabridge
Hitch install
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 AM
Captain Roundel's Avatar
Captain Roundel Captain Roundel is offline
Underachiever
Location: Northern Californicate
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 538
Mein Auto: 328,Z3, X3
Update: We found a 2004 X3, Montego Blue with 72K miles. Very clean inside&out, wifey loves it!
Quick question, there seems to be a "shark fin" antenna on top, I assume thats to add satellite radio as an option? It does have the 6 CD changer that works perfectly not one skip in a 300 mile trip this weekend.
I need to read the manual!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Supercourse Supercourse is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: British Columbia, Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,149
Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Roundel View Post
Quick question, there seems to be a "shark fin" antenna on top, I assume thats to add satellite radio as an option?
Congrats on the purchase!

Things might have changed in subsequent years, but for the 2004's I believe the shark fin was there to serve a purpose only for the proprietary BMW Assist.

If you have the satellite prep option, there will be 2 cables wrapped in foam in the driver side wheel well area of the cargo bay.
Presumably for GPS and Sat radio, but I'm not sure that either lets you utilize whatever antenna or receiver is in the shark fin - you have to add your own.

As you have the CD changer option, this may or may not complicate the addition of sat radio.
See:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...64&postcount=1
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Captain Roundel's Avatar
Captain Roundel Captain Roundel is offline
Underachiever
Location: Northern Californicate
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 538
Mein Auto: 328,Z3, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
Congrats on the purchase!

Things might have changed in subsequent years, but for the 2004's I believe the shark fin was there to serve a purpose only for the proprietary BMW Assist.

If you have the satellite prep option, there will be 2 cables wrapped in foam in the driver side wheel well area of the cargo bay.
Presumably for GPS and Sat radio, but I'm not sure that either lets you utilize whatever antenna or receiver is in the shark fin - you have to add your own.

As you have the CD changer option, this may or may not complicate the addition of sat radio.
See:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...64&postcount=1
Thanks! Not sure about sat radio for now, I can always do the FM modulator if I need to..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Captain Roundel's Avatar
Captain Roundel Captain Roundel is offline
Underachiever
Location: Northern Californicate
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 538
Mein Auto: 328,Z3, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganApril View Post
NICE! mileage is pretty low on that one! i bought my '04 x3 2.5i just this past fall,
and it had 94,000 miles on it! (now ofcourse its over 100K!) But as for problems, you are going to hear this from ALOT OF BMW x3 owners---- the panoramic sunroof is faulty...
I didn't WANT TO BELIEVE it-- but it's true, i've only owned this x3 for 6 months or so, and ALREADY the panoramic sunroof "TILT" option gets stuck in the TILT mode, and won't come back down- which, i've found out from the BMW dealership is fixable at 1,700 with a special kit they order SOOO...one of the MAIN reasons i LOVED this x3 when i bought it- is NOW not really working!
Other than that, I love my x3 all the way around, and yes- it does have a rough ride, but ofcourse most suv-type vehicles DO have a rough ride
OH and another thing-- you must know that the gas will be "SUPER unleaded" only- 91' grade or better-- which means filling up comes upwards to 60$ or more- and MPG is REALISTICALLY between 20-24-- but i guess that is better than some OTHER suv-type vehicles.

hope i was some help
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
My '06 has been pretty reliable and was bulletproof up until just after the warranty ended at 50K miles -- then started to have some problems. First the fuel return valve failed, then the MAF, then the front brakes needed replacement (I expected that) but aside from new tires at 48K miles (my choice, the OEM scorpions were hard riding but still had tread) it has been fine up to 80K miles. I was told though at the last oil service that the rear diff was starting to leak and there were a couple of other things that had to be done so it would be a pretty expensive 90K service. To be fair, the worst thing about this car has been the horrible ride over rough roads. My wife hates the car (might have something to do with a latte bouncing out of the pax cup holder all over a Chanel suit) and never fails to tell me how stupid I was to buy a car that rode worse than a 48 Ford transverse suspension coupe. If you want an X3 be sure to take it for a long test drive -- and be sure to hit some raised expansion jointed freeways, pot holed streets, and rough pavement along with the smooth asphalt -- over which it excels I might add. Good luck!
Thanks UncleJ we drove to Sonoma and Bodega Bay over two lane blacktop and US 101.
We really enjoyed the ride, it was quite comfortable. I think we got a winner...
April: Yes I saw that 91 rating, my other BMW runs on 89! :/

Last edited by Captain Roundel; 05-02-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms