Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
I owned a e34, while it is a great car, it is also 20 years old and it shows when you are driving it. I am glad I got rid of the e34. Also safety! The e34 might have an airbag and thats about it along with ABS. My e39 has about 8 airbags +DSC and other modern features like crumple zones etc... There is almost no reason to get an e34 over an e39 unless it is not going to be your daily driver, otherwise get the e39.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i (E39) 140k
What about driving a stock 530i ?
You'll save money, learn about cars, have less problems, and save on gas.
And it's plenty fast. You're not a race car driver.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 540i6
I have drove an e34 even though it was ****ty inside and out I love the way it drives.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
care to share why the sudden switch to the E34?

and yes, the E60 is ugly

but drives better than it looks
Old 05-01-2012, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i
This is the most ridiculous bunch of babble I have ever read. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but step back and look at what you've been saying since you started this post. How many different cars have you switched to...don't be that guy.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:22 AM

Yeah.... I think it was an 525i that he wanted to add tubo's to and invest 10k, but not get the m5 because the insurance is too high... how can insurance for a 525 be so much cheaper than an m5 to justify 8+k.

And then he wanted to turbocharge a nisan that would be cost prohibitve to turbo...

Then he got smarter... he said he would get a 540 6speed

Then he decided to get a e34??

Yeah.... the e34 is only better as a drivers car, everything else is inferior IMHO
Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dr._Zoidberg
Mein Auto: 2003 540iA Sport
A lot of ideas floating about here in an attempt for a young/new driver to get his hands on the most powerful thing possible. The only reasonable advise, assuming this post is not a joke or something, is to buy a well maintained, excellent condition 525, 530 or 540 and leave the rest for maintenance. Not sure what advantage an E34 has over an E39 but that is just an older, less reliable, and most importantly more unsafe car. Most younger people learn the hard way though, but lets play a scenario out to demonstrate. You buy say a 530i, dump a bunch of money into mods or whatever and spend that 17k. What do you do when the transmission fails, you tow it to the shop and they want 3k to fix it. Or lets say you buy a 540i and the timing chain rails need replaced.

All of these are realistic scenarios, but mostly consider that these cars were originally up to 60k or more new, and now you can buy them for 10. Luxury cars depreciate like this for a good reason: rich people buy them, flaunt around the BMW badge for 70k miles or so, the warranty expires and after doing almost zero maintenance outside of oil changes and inspections they get rid of them. A cooling system overhaul alone will run $1500 plus, and thats if you do it yourself and already have tools and you can guarentee whoever sold their car at 50k-100k didn't bother to do it. Tires are another good example, why even have a BMW and all those performance mods if you put cheap garbage tires on it, or drive it with old, worn out bald tires. BMW doesn't care how much we have to pay for tires, or how often, they set up the suspension for the sole purpose of performance and because of that you have to replace the tires more often than most other cars.

Also don't take this as me talking down to young people, especially since I am one at only 24 and was in this position just a few years ago. If you want an E39 (or E34) do the proper research (not just figuring out max potential performance numbers), look around for a nice one at a reasonable price (not the cheapest) and keep it well maintained and in good shape. The reason I say reasonable price is that when used car dealers sell cars like this for cheaper than usual they are usually hiding something bad about it so pay a little more for a desirable one.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 540i6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr._Zoidberg View Post
A lot of ideas floating about here in an attempt for a young/new driver to get his hands on the most powerful thing possible. The only reasonable advise, assuming this post is not a joke or something, is to buy a well maintained, excellent condition 525, 530 or 540 and leave the rest for maintenance. Not sure what advantage an E34 has over an E39 but that is just an older, less reliable, and most importantly more unsafe car. Most younger people learn the hard way though, but lets play a scenario out to demonstrate. You buy say a 530i, dump a bunch of money into mods or whatever and spend that 17k. What do you do when the transmission fails, you tow it to the shop and they want 3k to fix it. Or lets say you buy a 540i and the timing chain rails need replaced.

All of these are realistic scenarios, but mostly consider that these cars were originally up to 60k or more new, and now you can buy them for 10. Luxury cars depreciate like this for a good reason: rich people buy them, flaunt around the BMW badge for 70k miles or so, the warranty expires and after doing almost zero maintenance outside of oil changes and inspections they get rid of them. A cooling system overhaul alone will run $1500 plus, and thats if you do it yourself and already have tools and you can guarentee whoever sold their car at 50k-100k didn't bother to do it. Tires are another good example, why even have a BMW and all those performance mods if you put cheap garbage tires on it, or drive it with old, worn out bald tires. BMW doesn't care how much we have to pay for tires, or how often, they set up the suspension for the sole purpose of performance and because of that you have to replace the tires more often than most other cars.

Also don't take this as me talking down to young people, especially since I am one at only 24 and was in this position just a few years ago. If you want an E39 (or E34) do the proper research (not just figuring out max potential performance numbers), look around for a nice one at a reasonable price (not the cheapest) and keep it well maintained and in good shape. The reason I say reasonable price is that when used car dealers sell cars like this for cheaper than usual they are usually hiding something bad about it so pay a little more for a desirable one.
Might be the smartest advice to any person looking to buy an e39.
I remember a kid telling me how he was going to buy a 2k bimmer off craigslist I told him go a head if you have 6k for repairs it will rack up the first year. Most younger people me included do not realize how much a old bmw will cost. I remember first looking for a replacement for my 525i I didn't understand how much the cost of ownership actually was for an e39 but I manned up and bought a well maintained bmw and I'm preparing for my first DIY repair but everything still good after 2 months I had my dad indy check it out he said its should be good for I while. Did my first oil change last week. I realize how lucky I am to own a BMW but I have decided that when I go to college I will leave it behind in the garage and take a crappy if any car.

I have learned so much from these forums I feel 1000% smarter about cars now
Old 05-01-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunne44 View Post
I remember a kid telling me how he was going to buy a 2k bimmer off craigslist I told him go a head if you have 6k for repairs it will rack up the first year. Most younger people me included do not realize how much a old bmw will cost. I remember first looking for a replacement for my 525i I didn't understand how much the cost of ownership actually was for an e39 but I manned up and bought a well maintained bmw and I'm preparing for my first DIY repair but everything still good after 2 months I had my dad indy check it out he said its should be good for I while. Did my first oil change last week. I realize how lucky I am to own a BMW but I have decided that when I go to college I will leave it behind in the garage and take a crappy if any car.

I was fortunate enough that in my teenage years my dad had a Jaguar XJ8VP (X308) so I got to witness the high price of luxury cars. I bought my BMW expecting the worst because of this but it has been surprisingly reliable and I'm sure can be for most if you do everything right, which includes what I said above. The biggest factor I think though is paying upfront for a good one, and not buying the cheapest thing you can find with the BMW badge. You have to think, if a dealer is selling a car really cheap whats his reasoning? He just doesn't care about money...yea right. Point being the cars that were taken care of by their previous owners will cost more every time so buy a good one for a fair price.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:54 AM

I think he rather lost interest on this forum....http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=618054

We tried, now it is up to the fates to decide. He should not discount the major issue of saftey. As I and others have said, this is very important. This is what happens when you have a e34 + the rain + no traction control and out dated suspension... while the car saved my life, it was at this point that I noticed it was a liability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1335970456.220603.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	323359  
Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i 5-spd
Looks like he's off to haunt other folks with mesmerizing intrests in cars. Like this reply to his request:

This notion that you need 400 hp is absurd. How long do you expect the trans and rear end to last when you double the power through them? You see, you aren't just talking about power, to make this work you have to put it to the ground, and you may want to consider upgraded stoppers as well. As I see it, on your budget, with no skills other than rudimentary typing, you simply can't afford what you propose, not for a BMW quality job anyway.

The whole reason I asked the turbo queston I did was to see if he even had basic mechanical knowledge. I predict once he attains his LSx power e34 "insurance cheap" hot rod, he will become a statistic (hate to say that) just have to hope he dosen't take others with him.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 540i 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunne44 View Post

Definitely leave your car at home when you go off to college. Mine's slumbering as we speak. Two more weeks and I get to drive her again! I wouldn't bring my car to a city, like San Francisco for example (where I go to school) because your car gets scratched and dinged all the time. Even my brother who went to University of Arizona had his 330ci stomped on by some drunk a-hole and had to have the hood, roof and trunk repaired.

Straight-piped Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, M5 illuminated shifter and boot, black kidney grills, tinting on back windows, CCFL Angel Eyes, CDV delete, 15mm spaced
Old 05-02-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_525 View Post
Looks like he's off to haunt other folks with mesmerizing intrests in cars. Like this reply to his request:

This notion that you need 400 hp is absurd. How long do you expect the trans and rear end to last when you double the power through them? You see, you aren't just talking about power, to make this work you have to put it to the ground, and you may want to consider upgraded stoppers as well. As I see it, on your budget, with no skills other than rudimentary typing, you simply can't afford what you propose, not for a BMW quality job anyway.

The whole reason I asked the turbo queston I did was to see if he even had basic mechanical knowledge. I predict once he attains his LSx power e34 "insurance cheap" hot rod, he will become a statistic (hate to say that) just have to hope he dosen't take others with him.
This really is a good point though, and I see it all too often on these forums where people try to get their mits on a stock BMW for cheap and put all these mods on it like civic ricers do and have a 600HP car that can outpace Ferraris. Furthermore we have to read this constant babble about how these teenagers are going to do engine rebuilds, do turbocharger upgrades and all this other nonsense when we can be sure they know only as much as pressing those buttons on a playstation controller to do their "stage 3 engine rebuild" in the game. Sure there are people out there that hot rod and tune BMWs and any other cars, but you pay for it in either high cost or sacrificing reliability (or both). You are certainly right that if people like this ever do get their hands on a 400HP plus car they will be a serious liability and danger on the road, which is the very reason the insurance is so high on these cars for him in the first place that he needs to find a loophole for. This forum and people like this are almost fun to laugh at until you consider how many people are out here like this and how many people they kill, thus being the reason teenagers pay outrageous insurance premiums until they reach 25.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW-E39-530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blauanzug View Post
Um... One thing that the above posters have tried to stress is the upkeep of BMW's. Is this your first BMW (I assume so) and is it your first car?

BMW's are not Honda's or Toyota's, in the sense that you can supercharge and turbocharge a Civic SI and it probably won't complain, the same with the Scion's. However, BMW doesn't focus on power so much as the whole picture. Have you driven the e39 yet? I highly recommend a 2003 525i Manual (I am biased so what), the engine is the smallest made, but it is the last year and has most of the updates. Uses synthetic oil and the engine is bulletproof along with the transmission.

I have driven the e39 M5 and had it for a few weeks (a friend lent it to me) it was a 2003 and was amazing, but as a daily driver, I have to say I enjoy my 525i more. And power like above is not everything with these cars. And a 525i is probably the lowest insurance bracket you can get on the e39.

Assuming this will be your first BMW, I highly recommend getting a car in good condition and go to autocross events to learn why BMW doesn't solely focus on power and why these ARE the Ultimate Driving Machines. I can't stress the upkeep required on these cars, they are reliable but one must treat them as olympic athletes. They need care, but will astound you every time you drive them.
I couldn't have said it better. Agreed 100%