Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
Thanks a lot man, I appreciate the support.

Nice, take pics and post them when you do! As for the roof, yeah, you already probably got the "black roof" thing goin on haha...but if you're a fan of carbon fiber, they actually make vinyl in that pattern too.
Lol, will do!

Actually, not a huge fan of CF but I'm going to gloss black out as much of the chrome/aluminum as I can
Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Lol, will do!

Actually, not a huge fan of CF but I'm going to gloss black out as much of the chrome/aluminum as I can
Nice, black trim is a must IMO...the only chrome I have left and will keep is the side marker bezel and door handle trim.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xdrive
Great contrast. Your car looks sick. Are you thinking of a full Clear Bra or the basic coverage?
Old 04-30-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsilo View Post
Great contrast. Your car looks sick. Are you thinking of a full Clear Bra or the basic coverage?
Thanks man...I plan on going with a full front end clear bra as well as rockers and trunk package. It's a lot of money but I think the end result will be worth it.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Nice, black trim is a must IMO...the only chrome I have left and will keep is the side marker bezel and door handle trim.
Same here actually. Those were the only two things I was going to leave alone.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks man...I plan on going with a full front end clear bra as well as rockers and trunk package. It's a lot of money but I think the end result will be worth it.
I was just quoted ~$2500 from a clear bra installer. These installers really mark up their prices, especially when I searched online and found other places that will mail you the clear bra for much less. I found http://www.clearbra-kits.com/ and even called them up. I think I may eventually buy the kit from them or another supplier and install it myself or take it somewhere to get it installed for a fraction of the cost.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I was just quoted ~$2500 from a clear bra installer. These installers really mark up their prices, especially when I searched online and found other places that will mail you the clear bra for much less. I found http://www.clearbra-kits.com/ and even called them up. I think I may eventually buy the kit from them or another supplier and install it myself or take it somewhere to get it installed for a fraction of the cost.
Yeah, I wouldn't trust myself with a DIY clear bra...I've watched the process on another F10 and it looks very tedious with many hands. Two guys would stretch it across the bumper while one was smoothing it over with a steamer. Way above my pay grade...
Old 05-02-2012, 12:51 AM

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport AW
Quote:
I took a nice scenic cruise today through the Town of Woodside twisties and through Highway 35...I pulled over midway to take a few shots with my recently wrapped roof in gloss black. I know it's not for everyone, but I love it for the time being and at least it's not permanent. Next on the agenda is to get the satellite radio antenna painted and my front end wrapped in a clear bra...

Enjoy!
If you don't mind, where did you get your Roof Wrapped in Northern CA? would you recommend them and how much did it cost?

Thanks in advance
Mark
Old 05-02-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marqueex82 View Post
If you don't mind, where did you get your Roof Wrapped in Northern CA? would you recommend them and how much did it cost?

Thanks in advance
Mark
Mr. Tint in San Jose for $390 cash...that included the roof rails all the way down the front windshield.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Be thankful.

Mein Auto: Waves until order arrives
Whoa. Looks great
Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaditup View Post
Whoa. Looks great
Right on, thanks!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Quote:
DJ check the prices in NJ , i recently got xpel on my car covered more area than you said and paid significatly lesser than what you quoted!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:40 AM

Thanks. Any places, in particular, you think I should check out?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
Looks great! I love everything but not crazy about the black wheels personally on that car (personal choice, though they do pop in contrast with the car of course).

I wrapped my roof with gloss black as well, as I really missed the Pano look from my 2010 E350 that I traded in on my 2011. I didn't mind the functionality as much as I could do with the added rigidity and less weight of a non Pano car, and as nice as it is inside, it's mostly nicest for rear passengers (of which I rarely ever have any), but I missed the black roof look.

The F10's roof rails are aluminum, correct? I was told by my wrap guy that wrapping the roof rails on the E, due to them being plastic, would inevitably peel. He said the 5-Series' have aluminum rails which prevent that from happening to them?

As for the hideous orange markers. I simply had mine wrapped in the same 3M gloss black. Looks great, IMO. And it totally blocks out the ugly orange light from protruding through, though on mine you can see some orange glow coming from the outlines, which actually looks alright and gives you the added functionality of having some light in that area, if it worries you via U.S legalities and such.

Also, under florescent (or rather, let's say hard) lighting, do you see any sort of streaks on your wrap? Mine has them, and you can't see them under most lights, but under certain garage lightings, they're very visible. My wrap guy said that it's very common when using black *Gloss* wrap on large areas. It is not streaks on the actual surface on the wrap, but more looks like how the wrap mended onto the metal, as there are some distorted patterns. I don't know if it's due to particles being uncleaned from the metal (doesn't feel like it) or whatever, but it's my only negative from this wrap. Also, watch out for swirls, it's an easy material to streak, though, again, only visible under hard lighting. Make sure to keep it waxed.
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 05-03-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Looks great! I love everything but not crazy about the black wheels personally on that car (personal choice, though they do pop in contrast with the car of course).

I wrapped my roof with gloss black as well, as I really missed the Pano look from my 2010 E350 that I traded in on my 2011. I didn't mind the functionality as much as I could do with the added rigidity and less weight of a non Pano car, and as nice as it is inside, it's mostly nicest for rear passengers (of which I rarely ever have any), but I missed the black roof look.

The F10's roof rails are aluminum, correct? I was told by my wrap guy that wrapping the roof rails on the E, due to them being plastic, would inevitably peel. He said the 5-Series' have aluminum rails which prevent that from happening to them?

As for the hideous orange markers. I simply had mine wrapped in the same 3M gloss black. Looks great, IMO. And it totally blocks out the ugly orange light from protruding through, though on mine you can see some orange glow coming from the outlines, which actually looks alright and gives you the added functionality of having some light in that area, if it worries you via U.S legalities and such.

Also, under florescent (or rather, let's say hard) lighting, do you see any sort of streaks on your wrap? Mine has them, and you can't see them under most lights, but under certain garage lightings, they're very visible. My wrap guy said that it's very common when using black *Gloss* wrap on large areas. It is not streaks on the actual surface on the wrap, but more looks like how the wrap mended onto the metal, as there are some distorted patterns. I don't know if it's due to particles being uncleaned from the metal (doesn't feel like it) or whatever, but it's my only negative from this wrap. Also, watch out for swirls, it's an easy material to streak, though, again, only visible under hard lighting. Make sure to keep it waxed.
Thanks...not sure about the aluminum but no peeling yet! If it does, I have a 2 year warranty on it. By then if I still like it, I'll probably get it painted on instead.

As for streaks, I haven't noticed any yet...I'm not a tall guy so that's a good thing! Lol, but I'll for sure keep an eye out for such. The guy recommended this 3M performance wax designed for the wrap. I'll post a pic of the bottle later...
Old 05-03-2012, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Quote:
Thanks. Any places, in particular, you think I should check out?
Tint shop inc in Edison nj beside Volvo show room... He is best from all the guys I have talked he is doing this stuff from more than 10 years and he is authorized installer for xpel ultimate .
Tell him you are from bimmerfest
Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Cray

Quote:
Thanks...not sure about the aluminum but no peeling yet! If it does, I have a 2 year warranty on it. By then if I still like it, I'll probably get it painted on instead.

As for streaks, I haven't noticed any yet...I'm not a tall guy so that's a good thing! Lol, but I'll for sure keep an eye out for such. The guy recommended this 3M performance wax designed for the wrap. I'll post a pic of the bottle later...
I heard about the wax, but wonder if it actually has anything in it that's better suited for the material, or if it's simply a wax that they slap their badge on to rake in more revenue. Definitely post a pic and updates on it when you can. Is it simply for protection or to help the wax settle in or anything?

I've grown to like the white rails on my car now I guess, and since the E's come with Pano as an Option, I don't want my car to look like a "Pano clone", as my intent is to simply have a black colored roof.... so I've somewhat convinced myself that keeping the roof rails white makes my car stand out from the Pano cars and doesn't give it a "wannabe Pano" look as much, also it gives the A-Pillars a "beefier" look. I also have my antenna white. Lots of contrast up there which isn't as clean as my old cars Pano was, with the all black, but it does look cool and popping, drawing your eyes toward the car more. I also told myself that if I keep the car for the longer haul, or find the itch all of a sudden come across me to do so, I'll also paint the rails and antenna black.
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 05-04-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I heard about the wax, but wonder if it actually has anything in it that's better suited for the material, or if it's simply a wax that they slap their badge on to rake in more revenue. Definitely post a pic and updates on it when you can. Is it simply for protection or to help the wax settle in or anything?

I've grown to like the white rails on my car now I guess, and since the E's come with Pano as an Option, I don't want my car to look like a "Pano clone", as my intent is to simply have a black colored roof.... so I've somewhat convinced myself that keeping the roof rails white makes my car stand out from the Pano cars and doesn't give it a "wannabe Pano" look as much, also it gives the A-Pillars a "beefier" look. I also have my antenna white. Lots of contrast up there which isn't as clean as my old cars Pano was, with the all black, but it does look cool and popping, drawing your eyes toward the car more. I also told myself that if I keep the car for the longer haul, or find the itch all of a sudden come across me to do so, I'll also paint the rails and antenna black.
Not too sure about the wax details...I just asked the installer what he recommended and he said 3M recommends this wax. Mainly I think because the vinyl sticker is also a 3M product. I'll wax it this weekend and keep you updated.

Yeah, I had to do the rails because on the F10, the line would cut off abruptly and look out of place. By wrapping these rails I think the end result was better.

I was debating that too; I was going to have my antenna painted black to match. But then again, the white shark fin contrast is kinda cool so I totally know what you mean...I'll keep it as is for now and see what happens.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:37 AM

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport AW
Quote:
Mr. Tint in San Jose for $390 cash...that included the roof rails all the way down the front windshield.
thank you!!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Here's the recommended wax...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1336346770.016624.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	323925  
Old 05-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Cray

Interesting, thanks! Can you buy it at any Auto Store?

Old 05-06-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Interesting, thanks! Can you buy it at any Auto Store?
Good question; I'm not sure so I was gonna start looking...