Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 05-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 745LI
DIY: BMW E65/66 Crank Case Vent Valves CCV

BMW part # 11127547058 (if replacing both sides you will need two) $22.28 dealer price not after market
This is a Repair kit, pressure regulating valve

Tools Needed:
Torx (I used a Hex 6/32 since I did not have one)
Flat head screwdriver (thinnest one you have we work best)

Steps:
1. Picture 1 - Remove Engine cover. Unscrew 4 torx (4 red arrows).
2. Picture 2 Pop off side Engine covers. Note, these covers will need to be pulled outward and are held by two plug like screws (refer to picture 3 blue arrows right side and picture 4 left side CCV). Pop bottom first and move your hand to pull off the other. Slide the covers down as getting them out could take some time. Driver side with blue arrow is a little tricky as a hose is in the way.
3. Picture 5 (Picture 3 Ride side CCV & Picture 4 Left side CCV) Release 4 of 6 clips/tabs and slowly pull upwards in a sliding downward motion to free the last two clips/tabs. IMPORTANT, E65/66 do not have the tubing connecting to the cap. Refer to picture 6.
4. Remove damaged/old rubber and spring. Replace with new spring (picture 7) and rubber.
5. Place Cap back on and firmly press down on each tab making sure they fasten. You should hear 6 clicks one for each tab.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 for other CCV
7. Replace both side engine covers
8. Replace top engine cover and screw back 4 torx screws
9. You successfully changed your CCV

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

GOOD LUCK!!!

2005 745LI

Black on Black
Sports Pack
Comfort Acces
Rear Entertainment Pack
Convenience Pack
Premium Sound Pack
BTUM9000
3M Tint - 20%
Akebono Brake Pads
Blacked Out Grille
Smoked Taillights
ACS Roof Spoiler
MTEC V3
MTEC D1S 6000K
MTEC H9 4750K Fogs
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2012, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 745i 2005
Thank you Thank you

The internet truly is a marvelous thing if used right. my 2005 745i had been doing some very odd things these days and finally started shifting into nuetral at every light and stalling. It would start again but stall again as well. Forget stopping at a light on a hill. i'd still be there. So knowing what official BMW service places charge for finding these needles in haystacks, I went hunting on the internet and found a few articles all mentioning the CVV valve and this beautiful one with pics! Seemed easy enough but I've been suckered before ...

So i ride my bike to the nearest BMW dealership and paid double what I could have got these valves online but hey.. needed my car NOW and 80 bucks to try it out seemed pretty amazing to me - if it worked.

I printed out the pics, bought a star tool kit and went at it. The cover came off easy enough and so did the two caps on each side. It was tricky to get the old valve covers off but if you break a few tabs on them - so what - you're tossing them anyway.

As soon as I got the first cap off I could see the problem. The rubber seal was pretty much ripped over half way around. The left side was even worse and was just hanging on by a rubber band sized piece. Now I was excited - this could really work. I popped in the new springs and rubber valves and pushed the caps on - snap - all set. Side covers were a little tricky but went on after a few tries. The total repair took i swear 15 minutes max to change out both of units and when I started it...... OMG... it was like a new car.

Smooth as silk idle and no stall tendencies at all.

Some things are tougher than they appear or described but with the help of this article - this was not one of them. Easy as pie and who knows how much I saved by trying this first. From what I hear - BMW techs can keep trying things till you're living in a van down by the river.

This was a great article and I owe a huge thanks for whoever put it together. if you've got similiar problems with your 745i, stalling at lights, rough idle.. etc... don;t even think about a tech doing this. order both online for 33 bucks and feel like the king of the world when the damn thing hums like a kitten.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Hi dgoodsell,

Thanks for the post.

I noticed there is a pipe connected to ccv tip. My car dose not have that which is weird.

Do you know where dose the pipe connect to on the other end.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-18-2013, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
I just replaced mine this weekend and I don't have any tubes connected to mine either. Whats up with this?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoodsell View Post
..... IMPORTANT, E65/66 do not have the tubing connecting to the cap. Refer to picture 6.
^^^^^

The n62b44 was used on a few other models also, 545i; 645i; x5 with 4.4... My e65 falls under this category of no tubes but if i recall correctly there may be some 04 & 05s with slightly differing ccv setups on the valve covers. I also remember seeing one with hoses on it as well. Main purpose of ccv is to vent crankcase pressure and when that rubber goes, you basically have a huge vacuum leak and thats what causes the stalling.

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i

Last edited by 745iguy; 03-28-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 05 BMW 745Li
@Collins912: was going to do mine soon also and realized I didn't have any air lines connected to mine either! Maybe this is just normal depending on your engine model!

05 e66 745Li
Old 07-04-2013, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
I replaced the CCVs on my 545i (2005) but the new caps do not have a nozzle to attach the hose, even though the included paper sheet shows the cap with a nozzle. Your has the same problem, exactly as you show in the "new" photo. I had to use the old caps.

How are you suppose to connect the hose using the new caps? /Users/hughcree/Desktop/IMG_3050.jpg
Old 05-16-2014, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
Wow, 135,000 miles and my CVV were toast. What a difference in the smoothness and pick up. Over 100,000, its time to do preventive maintenance. Great DIY in this thread.

2006 750 I