Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed325i View Post
She is insistent on Zenons / HID headlights.
They weren't available last I checked. We considered a Tiguan, but my wife had some sort of mental block against a car that needed premium gas, plus Toyota cut us a sweet deal on a Rav4 so we ended up with a Limited Rav4 instead. Nice car, peppy, loaded with every option - leather, sunroof, heated seats, premium sound etc. Not the tightest ride in the world, but for what it is and the price you really can't complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
You can swap out headlights for HIDs in any car, I thought? Or maybe there are only kits for certain cars.
You can put a "Kit" in any car AKA "Hackjob". You can install OEM parts if you want to spend a lot of time and money, but no matter how you twist and turn it you will never have full functionality of OEM ones if you do it yourself (Auto - leveling etc).

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 05-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Grumpy and Cynical

Send a message via MSN to ed325i Send a message via Yahoo to ed325i
Mein Auto: 328Xi
HIDs are included in one the packages for the Tiguan.

Though the RAV4 factory is literally on the way during my drive to work, my wife dislikes the vehicle. Can't get her to even go to the dealership.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
I'm assuming price is a factor? I didn't catch a price limit while perusing the thread. Have you looked at an Evoque? Of any of the crossovers/SUVs I've driven, the Evoque is the only one I enjoyed driving and would consider getting... if it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

The Tiguan is a lofty, bloated Golf, and drives like one. The Q5 is a Tiguan in a business suit. I haven't driven too many other crossovers, as I generally avoid them like the plague. Too bad she wants to sit high... a wagon is my true recommendation.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 05-06-2012, 06:28 AM
Grumpy and Cynical

Test drove the RDX yesterday. Excellent seats. The rest of the interior is nice too. Wins on amenities. Smooth powerful engine for its class. Transmission is not the most responsive. Over boosted steering otherwise handles well.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Grumpy and Cynical

Evoque. One of the annoying things about living in Canada is that the list price of European cars are about $5,000 to $10,000 above US pricing, even though the CDN dollar has been at or above par for years. The Evoque starts at $47k here. More than what we want to pay for our "doggie hauler".
Old 05-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed325i View Post
Evoque. One of the annoying things about living in Canada is that the list price of European cars are about $5,000 to $10,000 above US pricing, even though the CDN dollar has been at or above par for years. The Evoque starts at $47k here. More than what we want to pay for our "doggie hauler".
Mentioned it before - 2013 Ford Escape with the 2.0 turbo Ecoboost in the highest trim with everything (navi, leather, HIDs, AWD) runs around 35k US. Supposedly the handling is pretty damn good and all around it's supposedly a good vehicle.

http://www.insideline.com/ford/escap...rst-drive.html

From the review...
Quote:
King of the Small SUVs
With more diverse and efficient engine choices, a nicer interior, sportier handling manners, unique available features and a new look that's sure to grab some stares, the 2013 Ford Escape is better in every way than the vehicle it replaces. Yes, it's a bit more expensive than before (the base model starts $1,030 higher), but there's also considerably more content.

Its primary competitors — Honda CR-V and Mazda CX-5 — can't match its engine choices, while the Kia Sportage and Toyota RAV4 can only dream about the Escape's interior refinement.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Grumpy and Cynical

Have been forwarding reviews of the Escape to my wife. She can't stand the exterior. No go.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 08 Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS3SSION View Post
I'm assuming price is a factor? I didn't catch a price limit while perusing the thread. Have you looked at an Evoque? Of any of the crossovers/SUVs I've driven, the Evoque is the only one I enjoyed driving and would consider getting... if it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

The Tiguan is a lofty, bloated Golf, and drives like one. The Q5 is a Tiguan in a business suit. I haven't driven too many other crossovers, as I generally avoid them like the plague. Too bad she wants to sit high... a wagon is my true recommendation.
The Tiguan is considered the best handling and driving small SUV. And the golf platform is one of the finest on the market. GTI anyone?

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." – Thoreau
Old 05-08-2012, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmart View Post
The Tiguan is considered the best handling and driving small SUV. And the golf platform is one of the finest on the market. GTI anyone?
That may be so, but you definitely feel that high CG and extra weight. Given a choice of Tiguan or GTI, I'd take the GTI hands down. Same platform or no, a car will always handle better than a crossover. Which is why the Evoque really surprised me! Other than the ride height, I really didn't feel like I was driving a crossover.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 05-08-2012, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post
They weren't available last I checked. We considered a Tiguan, but my wife had some sort of mental block against a car that needed premium gas, plus Toyota cut us a sweet deal on a Rav4 so we ended up with a Limited Rav4 instead. Nice car, peppy, loaded with every option - leather, sunroof, heated seats, premium sound etc. Not the tightest ride in the world, but for what it is and the price you really can't complain.
Mrs wyb is shopping at the moment - RAV4 v6 is top of her list so far.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: x
Anyone test-driven Mitsubishi Outlander or Subaru Forester?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:02 PM
trailingthrottleoversteer

Mein Auto: CLK 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post
Anyone test-driven Mitsubishi Outlander or Subaru Forester?
Got a Forrester last year in Maui as a rental for 10 days. Very milquetoast IMHO (base model I presume). Interior was plasticky. Overall very Appliance feeling.
Mrs. Rizzo has expressed an interest in dumping the Beetle 'vert for small SUV. Right now it's the new CR-V or a CPO Benz GLK 350 on the list (but may change). I'm kinda on a CPO Benz kick right now since they drop like a rock after 2 years....

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Outback has a great interior, and is a lot quieter than CRV on the highway.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Grumpy and Cynical

Test drove the Audi Q5 2.0 yesterday. So far, it's the vehicle that my wife likes the most. I am impressed by the quietness of the cabin. Great seats. The 2.0T is a nice engine. Good torque response. I can do without the 19" wheels but handling is good for vehicle of this class. Brakes are typical VW Audi. Stops well, but the braking comes all at once, with less modulation than what BMW delivers.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:44 PM

We didn't look at the Audi - but the Tiguan was top-2 with Mrs wyb last week (her new top2 has displaced the RAV4 with Tiguan and the other contender was the Nissan Rogue.

I actually didn't like the new RAV4 - the door close was loud and not at all "german" - I know it's a toyota - but the sound was just annoying to me... not my choice though.

She was so on the edge, we couldn't make a below invoice deal wtih them - the Nissan finance company threw in $1500 rebates, so we walked. They weren't that bright and told us that they had X units to a bonus from Nissan - even dumber, the finance manager's officer has the count they needed to get bonus written on the window which we could see from the showroom floor - we banked on being one of the last couple of vehicles to get them to this bonus - as we pulled away saying their invoice priced offer just wasn't going to cut it, they asked what would it take... I told them - that big bonus... I'll help you, but we want BELOW invoice - you're getting $50-100k or more from Nissan and you need our sale... what it will take is us getting a considerably BELOW invoice price, and we're buying from SOMEONE in the next 48 hours - and then we drove off in the 5'er (they had chased us down to ask what it would take as we were backing out of our parking spot)...

Later that night, the sales guy turned up at our house (we hadn't left them a phone number) and offered a deal that was not just below invoice, but quite a lot below invoice - they took my suggestion to heart! hehe!!

So Mrs wyb pulled the trigger on the Rogue and we got a great deal - the Rogue is loaded with everything she wanted including clear-bra - the only thing I'll add is a tow hitch for an ATV trailer in a couple of weeks... 4 camera backup system, Nav with traffic, XM-radio, iPOD integration, bluetooth, leather, sunroof - the only oddity is that Nissan continuously variable transmission (CVT) - you have to drive it a while to get your head round how it works... it is really ODD to begin with.

Mrs wyb is really happy with it - and that's all that matters I guess... I'm happy that we drove a good deal because none of the dealers would come off invoice + manufacturer rebates - it was a bit of work to get this deal, but we got it!

Oh - and they had a cash grab machine - the kind that blows money (or a facsimile of money) into the air - you get all you can grab - we ended up with $155 in 15 seconds - and it was fun I guess - they said that $155 was the most anyone got yesterday... I think they're just being sales-guys and gals - but whatever.. Mrs wyb was happy again...

No way I would buy a CVT though... this won out because it wasn't my choice - it's a well specced vehicle for the money though!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Grumpy and Cynical

Wife's office mate has a Rogue and really likes it.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:33 PM

it is a lot of spec for the money... I'm impressed with everything except the CVT, but I'm working out how to "make it go" ...

She also drove the Juke - it is a 1.6 4-cyl turbo with a lot of "pep" - but it is just "small"...

Old 07-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Nice. My wife's ready to bail on her Audi and she wants a cute ute. Of all she drove, the V6 RAV4 is the only one she liked. Sadly, no dealership can find a Limited V6 with the 3rd row option. She won't buy without that third row (grandparents visit every other month so a need for a 7 passenger is real but not so real my wife wants to get a minivan or a vehicle that ways over 3500 lbs).
Old 07-02-2012, 09:34 AM

I'm still pretty happy with the CVT on the 2004 Nissan Murano. Sure, the gas mileage could be better given today's standard (I'm really amazed by the CX5!), but still the engine and spec was built in 2004, and I have to keep reminding myself that 22-24 MPG on highway from 2004 on a mid-size SUV isn't too bad. It's still pretty trouble-free to-date, the only thing I don't like is the paint job (not quite scratch resistant) and the plastic interior, which has already been addressed in the current model year.

In the rare occasion that I need instant acceleration, the CVT doesn't jerk like those with 5/6 speed transmission. The Rogue isn't supposed to be sporty, so CVT does makes sense... hope Nissan will have direct injection in its lineup soon.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post
I'm still pretty happy with the CVT on the 2004 Nissan Murano. Sure, the gas mileage could be better given today's standard (I'm really amazed by the CX5!), but still the engine and spec was built in 2004, and I have to keep reminding myself that 22-24 MPG on highway from 2004 on a mid-size SUV isn't too bad. It's still pretty trouble-free to-date, the only thing I don't like is the paint job (not quite scratch resistant) and the plastic interior, which has already been addressed in the current model year.

In the rare occasion that I need instant acceleration, the CVT doesn't jerk like those with 5/6 speed transmission. The Rogue isn't supposed to be sporty, so CVT does makes sense... hope Nissan will have direct injection in its lineup soon.
Check out the raves for the new altima with CVT. Very nice engine/tranny combo with exceptional mileage.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + Volvo V70
ed- MB is bringing their GLK diesel over in the next year...

Last edited by d geek; 07-02-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Check out the raves for the new altima with CVT. Very nice engine/tranny combo with exceptional mileage.
I just realized that even Juke has already been equipped with a 1.6 DI. Nice.

Nissan has definitely done a pretty good job in the past few years, and Hyundai of course has done even better job with the latest lineup. It's Toyota and Honda's turn to play catch-up now.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Nice. My wife's ready to bail on her Audi and she wants a cute ute. Of all she drove, the V6 RAV4 is the only one she liked. Sadly, no dealership can find a Limited V6 with the 3rd row option. She won't buy without that third row (grandparents visit every other month so a need for a 7 passenger is real but not so real my wife wants to get a minivan or a vehicle that ways over 3500 lbs).
I remember trying to help my uncle look for one a couple years ago. 3rd row wasn't sold on the Limited in my area. Only on the SE trim level.

Other than that, the V6 RAV4 is a beast. It's deceptively quick.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328is
What about the new Hyundai Santa Fe, it will come in 5 and 7 seat variations. Comes nicely equipped and gas mileage is pretty good for a car it's size
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1341256743.674080.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	331377  
Old 07-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I remember trying to help my uncle look for one a couple years ago. 3rd row wasn't sold on the Limited in my area. Only on the SE trim level.

Other than that, the V6 RAV4 is a beast. It's deceptively quick.
Coming from her audi she quickly liked the power and lightish feel v. the escape, rdx, crv, cx5, sorento. She dug the x3 but lack of 7 seats killed it for her.

Right now she can only find base v6s with third row. She feels the move to an suv/cuv is enough of a compromise, going to a base model just isn't an option right now.

We are aware of the next santa fe and doubt given the feel of other hyundai/kia products it will feel right. She tried a few kias and said no way quickly into the drives.