Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 05-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
OK, I'm FROM Europe (meaning, been there, done that, got drunk, forgot all about it - multiply about million times ), so it probably doesn't count.

If it was ONE and only one ED ... I would break in my car properly again. Do 1,200 miles of leisurely driving and then hit Autobahn with full tank until you get to empty on WOT and sustained high RPMs. Which I did anyway

Now, this said, I believe you should ask people coming from different European places to PM you good suggestions. Just recently I watched Anthony Bourdain's "No reservations" while in my country of origin. It was cool to see the guy I know by name serving food to him in a restaurant 5 miles from my old house to which I've been multiple times and Bourdain's comments were basically mostly expletives and beeped out - it was that good. Chances of tourists finding that restaurant? Zero. Besides, they only sell what they catch that day, reservation is a must (unless you are host of "No reservations", of course), knowing a local guy is a must and price is very low all things considered. They actually once sent away a Senator equivalent with entourage when they showed up without reservation because they didn't have food to serve and it ended up on newspapers - that kind of place.

Unfortunately you cannot take ED car to my country, but some others (many of them here) can give you suggestions about very special places they know and tourists will never find, no matter how much they Google and read around.

Best luck with your first ED.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 05-01-2012, 03:52 PM
1st time 'Fester in 2012!

Mein Auto: '96 E36 silver 328i MT 4d
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpilot View Post
My wife and I are in our early 30's and doing an ED on an F30 this September for two weeks. We know jack about Europe: I've only ever been to Ireland for work, and she spent a little time in London after right college, but otherwise...notta.

I'd love to think we'd get to do an ED more than once, but we'll probably be having kid(s) sometime shortly after this and I suspect finances will tighten down quite a bit for a long, long time.

I have zero ideas for our itinerary, aside from spending some time at the Welt for the tour. Well, that and we plan to be there during Oktoberfest so we want to catch at least a couple days of the celebration. I've read through the wiki and a bunch of threads but there's just so much, I'm struggling to land on must-dos.

So (especially for those who have been)...if you had only one shot at an ED, what is the one highlight or two you absolutely couldn't miss in Europe besides the Welt?
To properly answer your questions, you are the only one to do so:
because it really depends on what you and your wife principal priorities!??

What are you guys into (and dont say SM)?

Do you like to drive your car to the limit ?? Then the NurburgRing is a MUST, and Stelvio Pass is a must also if you are going after June.
or
do you prefer to just enjoy a nice slow drive around the country side?

Lake Como would be nice! Very nice even...

Having just completed my 5,000 km ED journey,
i can tell you that: if you are short of time,
just pick only 1 or 2 places and really take the time to enjoy them!

You can do Fussen and Lindau in just one day.
You can spend two days in Munich to enjoy both the BMW centers and the city.
If you need to go to the French Riviera, Monaco is great, but very touristics, Skip Nice and Skip Cannes, unless you like taking a plunge into the Mediterranean sea (
great durring Summer time!)
But the Italian Coast is nicer, around Genova,

I would not recommend Paris, as it is not a car friendly city... especially for unaccustomed travelers ...

The better route would be to go south, toward Tuscany, Florence, or even Venice.

Or if you like Beer like someone suggested above, the way toward Amsterdam would be very nice too

with two weeks, you can see Lots of sight if you are willing to drive everyday...
if not just do half, instead of trying to fit everything... by taking your time you will enjoy a lot more:

Together Make a list of how your dreams in Euro would look like, and your route will pop out...

Luxury F30 335i 6MT, ED : 4/12/12
Drop-off: 4/24/12, Re-Delivery : 7/10/12
Old 05-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
OK, I'm FROM Europe (meaning, been there, done that, got drunk, forgot all about it - multiply about million times ), so it probably doesn't count.
In case you are curious, you are not the only European replying in this thread

Quote:
Unfortunately you cannot take ED car to my country,
which country is your country?

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 05-02-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
Hmm, I thought I said it twice in the previous post, but maybe I wasn't very clear. So, here it is:

OP, there are a lot of people on this forum who are originally from Europe and others who (still) live in Europe. If you ask them, they could PM you suggestions about some really cool stuff no tourist will ever find.

Better now, Jonathan?

Quote:
which country is your country?
I'll answer this with a riddle which you, as an European, will for sure appreciate and answer easily. The correct answer will tell you not only the country, but specific region of that country where I'm from. Here's the riddle:

I was born and I lived until I left the country in the same town as my maternal grandparents. My grandmother was born in 1920 and died in 2011. My grandfather was born in 1912 and died in 1981. Both of them changed the citizenship 3 times without ever changing the address. What country and what region of it am I from?

Have fun

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
Quote:
The correct answer will tell you not only the country, but specific region of that country where I'm from. Here's the riddle:

I was born and I lived until I left the country in the same town as my maternal grandparents. My grandmother was born in 1920 and died in 2011. My grandfather was born in 1912 and died in 1981. Both of them changed the citizenship 3 times without ever changing the address. What country and what region of it am I from?

Have fun
Too many options. Some of the candidates are:

Trieste, Italy (previously Austro-Hungary and Free Territory of Trieste)
Rjecka (Fiume), Croatia (previously Austro-Hungary, Regency of Carnero, Yugoslavia)
Lviv, Ukraine (previously Poland, Russia)
Danzig/Gdansk, Poland (previously Germany and League of Nations protectorate)
...and any number of towns in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc., that were part of Austro-Hungary.

(I did all of these from memory, without looking them up. So errors may have crept in.)
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Car Lover's Guidebooks

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4
The German Biergarten. My favorite is (BY FAR) Waldwirtschaft in Solln south of Munich (http://www.waldwirtschaft.de/anfahrt.html). The other thing I wouldn't miss is a dinner by Starnberg Lake in the village of Tutzing. There is a small restaurant/biergarten called "Haerings Wirtschaft". http://www.haering-wirtschaft.de/

Do whatever you want during the day - Neuschwanstein, Dachau, Welt, whatever. But end each day at one of these two places!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-y View Post
Too many options. Some of the candidates are:

Trieste, Italy (previously Austro-Hungary and Free Territory of Trieste)
Rjecka (Fiume), Croatia (previously Austro-Hungary, Regency of Carnero, Yugoslavia)
Lviv, Ukraine (previously Poland, Russia)
Danzig/Gdansk, Poland (previously Germany and League of Nations protectorate)
...and any number of towns in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc., that were part of Austro-Hungary.

(I did all of these from memory, without looking them up. So errors may have crept in.)
You are correct, I forgot one situation that I saw on your list so I thought (wrongly) that the riddle had a unique solution. Anyhow, two additional pieces of information to make solution unique (I go from memory too, sorry if I'm wrong):

a) the 3 citizenships of my grandmother are NOT identical to 3 citizenships of my grandfather
b) had my grandfather lived to the same age as my grandmother (91 yrs old), he would have changed citizenship 4 times without changing the address

Thanks for playing

Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
You are correct, I forgot one situation that I saw on your list so I thought (wrongly) that the riddle had a unique solution. Anyhow, two additional pieces of information to make solution unique (I go from memory too, sorry if I'm wrong):

a) the 3 citizenships of my grandmother are NOT identical to 3 citizenships of my grandfather
b) had my grandfather lived to the same age as my grandmother (91 yrs old), he would have changed citizenship 4 times without changing the address

Thanks for playing
I just looked up one place, but Lviv fits those dates and requirements. (Dates here are approximate as the invasions came and went.)

pre-1918: Austro-Hungary
1923-1939: Poland
1939 (or 1943, depending on how you count): USSR
post-1990: Ukraine

I am certain there are other options, not just in Western Ukraine.

(I have "inside information" from several sources. My grandparents were from Kiev (mother's side) and Odessa (father's side--they actually emigrated to the US from Saloniki in the Ottoman Empire *). I had a consulting partner for many years whose parents were from Lviv. His father was head of the Ukrainian National Assn of Canada.)

(*) If you count the German occupation of 1941-44, then Thesalonika is another three- or four-country option: Ottoman--Greece--Germany--Greece again.
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-y View Post
I just looked up one place, but Lviv fits those dates and requirements. (Dates here are approximate as the invasions came and went.)

pre-1918: Austro-Hungary
1923-1939: Poland
1939 (or 1943, depending on how you count): USSR
post-1990: Ukraine

I am certain there are other options, not just in Western Ukraine.

(I have "inside information" from several sources. My grandparents were from Kiev (mother's side) and Odessa (father's side--they actually emigrated to the US from Saloniki in the Ottoman Empire *). I had a consulting partner for many years whose parents were from Lviv. His father was head of the Ukrainian National Assn of Canada.)

(*) If you count the German occupation of 1941-44, then Thesalonika is another three- or four-country option: Ottoman--Greece--Germany--Greece again.
Oh, I definitely didn't know that. In my case:

- 1918: Austro-Hungary
1918 - 1948: Italy
1948 - 1991: Yugoslavia
1991 - present: Croatia

The region is Istria, the town is Pula.

EDIT: The problem are Zoll plates which you can't have in Croatia, that's why ED cars can't go there. Hopefully, the situation will change on July 1st 2013 when Croatia is supposed to enter EU.

Last edited by Mark K; 05-02-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Oh, I definitely didn't know that. In my case:

- 1918: Austro-Hungary
1918 - 1948: Italy
1948 - 1991: Yugoslavia
1991 - present: Croatia

The region is Istria, the town is Pula.
I was leaning towards Croatia but would not have guessed the region.

I was busy writing about the Netherlands and didn't have a chance to reply here earlier.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: '91 e34 535i, 2012 M3 Cab
For me, the "big" things I expected to do/enjoy paled in comparison to the "little things" that just popped up along the way. Little Alpine Inns of no particular significance that I dropped in on where an American guest was highly unusual. Restaurant in Brescia Itlay that, similarly, didn't speak a work of English and was a working-class place with AMAZING food that was just so unlike food I've had in extensive tourist travels in Italy.

Getting up in the morning and just knowing "I can go wherever the eff I want today! Italy? Austria, back to Bavaria? Should I go to Switzerland?" just an amazing, amazing feeling to get up and decide if/how/when/where. And in one of the best cars in the world.

By comparison, Neuschwanstein (a "biggie" no doubt) didn't do much for me. It's just one of those things. But finding little places in Italy and this very fun/cool place in Austria that I had NO plans of going to 6 hours before I got there (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...rian_Alps.html) is what did it for me.

So, like many have said above, really, really, really depends on what you're into or expect from the trip.

Last edited by Jon90; 05-02-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:03 PM
The One who Drives.

Mein Auto: 11 f25 n55/09 Jetta TDI
Quote:
EDIT: The problem are Zoll plates which you can't have in Croatia, that's why ED cars can't go there. Hopefully, the situation will change on July 1st 2013 when Croatia is supposed to enter EU.
And then (Aug. 2013) I will take my wife for a 3 week long ED, mostly in Croatia/Slovenia and Central Europe.

Trips and Pieces - My new blog for Travelers by Travelers!
Personal Euro Delivery Blog

My, somewhat outdated, BMW Euro Delivery of 2009 blog with pics!
Old 05-03-2012, 01:31 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:

yeah.

Full disclosure. No riddles. I'm an American expat living in a rural village in the UK.

I don't travel that much. I've been continental Europe about once a year since 2007. Debbie filled up her passport.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 05-03-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:35 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
We know jack about Europe:

It will help if you learn a little German. If you are going to France, learning some French will be helpful too.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335iS [ ED ]
only 1

For me, the ED I did last fall will likely be my one and only.
The top place on my list was [ and would be again ]
the villages of Cinqe Terre.
There is lots of information out there, including
Rick Steves’ recommendation.
I am aware that a couple of the villages suffered flood damage after we left, in September, but the location is just spectacular – to me.
Links to just a couple of pictures I took there:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...inqueterre.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...chspotday2.jpg

Enjoy!
- Ray
NOT a tour guide . . .
Old 05-03-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandanio View Post
And then (Aug. 2013) I will take my wife for a 3 week long ED, mostly in Croatia/Slovenia and Central Europe.
I would strongly (and I mean STRONGLY) advise you to change that to September. Slovenija could be acceptable (not great, but acceptable) in August, but avoid Croatia completely unless you go strictly inland and well away from the coast.

My cousin lives in Rovinj (a must see); she parks her car at her parents house mid July and doesn't drive it again until first weekend in September. My dad doesn't leave the house on a rainy day in July/August and absolutely hates having to drive on sunny days for those two months.

Let me know if you need any recommendations if you decide to go to Istria. I would strongly suggest Split-Rijeka drive (or inverse, it doesn't really matter) on Rt8. But again, definitely not in August.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByF30 View Post
Having just completed my 5,000 km ED journey,
i can tell you that: if you are short of time,
just pick only 1 or 2 places and really take the time to enjoy them!

Nice settings - is there video posting here (or YouTube) with driving on this route?

My turn.
I will spend more time in Italy (love that country) specifically Tuscany and surrounding areas - Sienna is a must.
Italian and french riviera - north of Nice, around the Route Napoleon area, Balcon de la Mescla, Aix, Avignon, etc. Provence area.
Rome, Paris - no, thank you!
Some alpine villages, we was rushing our first ED - really would like to see them more close then from autobahn.
One of my sad moments - on the way to LAX realize that I forgot my new video camera, purchased just for this vacation, at home.

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 05-03-2012, 04:13 PM
The One who Drives.

Mein Auto: 11 f25 n55/09 Jetta TDI
Quote:
Let me know if you need any recommendations if you decide to go to Istria. I would strongly suggest Split-Rijeka drive (or inverse, it doesn't really matter) on Rt8. But again, definitely not in August.
Before we end up hijacking the thread, I started a new one and would like to ask for your recommendations.
Thank you!

Trips and Pieces - My new blog for Travelers by Travelers!
Personal Euro Delivery Blog

My, somewhat outdated, BMW Euro Delivery of 2009 blog with pics!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:52 AM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
This is more or less what along the lines of what I was thinking and like to do in my drives in Europe - go to places you can't easily fly into, i.e. small towns, the mountains, etc.
+1. Have some optimism about finances and time for travel in the future. Paris, Rome, London, Amsterdam, etc. are all pretty easy to fly to from the U.S. Think of places you would need to rent a car to get to and go to those.

Beyond that--do you want to see historical cities? Do you want to do outdoorsy things (hiking, etc.)? Natural beauty? It's all there.

I would buy a guidebook with photos for Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and maybe Italy and more eastern European countries. Flip through and see what looks interesting. Then plan an itinerary.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 13 F10/06-330i/11-F350
Lots of great advice here already.

My two cents

First, how long do you plan on going? a few days, a week, 2-3 weeks, a month? It makes a difference. I have been to Europe once, but that was 27 years ago, so things have changed a bit.

Make a list of things you must see/do (Paris, the Louvre, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Munich, Saltzburg, French Riveria, Berlin, Zurich, river tour down the Rhine, Rome, King Ludwig's castles, London, Eagles Nest, the ring, etc)

Find out what places you can and and can not (or should not) go with a ED car.

Unless everywhere you want to go accepts ED cars, do the following order.
Go places where you can not/should not take ED cars
Pick up car,
Break in car on side trips, distance driving while not doing excessive speeds
Once the car is broken in, do some of the more intense things such as those listed above (the ring, autobahn, etc)

An easy way to start thinking of things to do is think of themes, such as:
Museums
WWI/WWII historical sites (Anne Frank house, Eagle's nest, etc)
Wine tasting
Beer halls
The Glockenspiel (downtown Munich)
Castle/Palace Tours
See the sights of "The Sound of Music" (this is what my parents did on their trip)
Monasteries/Abbeys/Churches
River Tours (the canal tours in Amsterdam are good, as is a cruise down the Rhine) You might also want to see if there is a cruise on the Danube.
Roman Sites
Automotive conquests (autobahn, the ring, etc)

I am sure there are many others, but I would suggest you pick one, two, or three overall themes for your trip which will help you figure out what you want to do. When I went, we did one day, plus the next morning in one place, then drove to the next city we wanted to go to. We covered a good portion of (West) Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Luxumburg, Lichtenstein, Denmark, the Netherlands, and Belgium in three weeks.

One final note. If you decide to consume alcohol during your trip, make sure you are stopped for the night. Once you drink, don't drive again until the next morning, and only then if you sober.

Last edited by Stonehauler; 05-04-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: Q7
It would have to be the Gloss Glockner Hockalpenstrasse (perhaps with
Stelvio thrown in).

Proof is here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...802&highlight=

Quote:
My wife and I are in our early 30's and doing an ED on an F30 this September for two weeks. We know jack about Europe: I've only ever been to Ireland for work, and she spent a little time in London after right college, but otherwise...notta.

I'd love to think we'd get to do an ED more than once, but we'll probably be having kid(s) sometime shortly after this and I suspect finances will tighten down quite a bit for a long, long time.

I have zero ideas for our itinerary, aside from spending some time at the Welt for the tour. Well, that and we plan to be there during Oktoberfest so we want to catch at least a couple days of the celebration. I've read through the wiki and a bunch of threads but there's just so much, I'm struggling to land on must-dos.

So (especially for those who have been)...if you had only one shot at an ED, what is the one highlight or two you absolutely couldn't miss in Europe besides the Welt?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
Lots of great advice here already.

My two cents

I liked your approach. I copied the major part of it to the Wiki here.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Banjo

Mein Auto: 528i
Favorite Euro Driveing Experience

Well, I've driven every European country from Hungary to Portugal (with U.K. and Ireland, too), and the thing I remember most fondly was crossing the Gloss Glockner. That was FIFTY-NINE years ago (in an XK-120...which cost $3,500 new!), and I still remember it vividly. NOT TO BE MISSED!