Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-28-2012, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi Sedan Auto
I had a $1400 repair of the IBS cable and a battery from dealer about 6 months ago. I was under warranty and they told me its an electrical problem not covered under warranty???? I was getting the Battery Discharge message and date/time would reset everyday upon start-up. Two questions arise 1) Can this be related to this recall, how can I get the truth? 2) Was this something that should have been covered under warranty? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 E60
I called my dealer about checking out my car since I am scheduled for an oil change anyway. No problem, said it takes about 30 minutes. It gives me peace of mind knowing my "baby" is alright!!

Jim

Jim
1973 '02 - Sold to buy new daily driver
2008 E60 - New Daily Driver - Monaco Blue/Cream Beige, Premium pkg, Nav, Heated seats, ipod adapter, xenons
Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: corvette/528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz23 View Post
I had a $1400 repair of the IBS cable and a battery from dealer about 6 months ago. I was under warranty and they told me its an electrical problem not covered under warranty???? I was getting the Battery Discharge message and date/time would reset everyday upon start-up. Two questions arise 1) Can this be related to this recall, how can I get the truth? 2) Was this something that should have been covered under warranty? Thanks.

a $1400 repair??? that aint Boston beans!!!

I had various warranty electrical replacements including the battery.
Why should a failed item be excluded??

get your paperwork together.........
I would use this opportunity to get a refund. You may take them to small claims court.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Lightbulb Safety recall notice

haven't seen much posted here recently on this, but i received my notice today for the battery connector recall. included in the letter is the recall notice, customer reimbursement plan (in case this was paid by owner in the past), and information change card. all dated APRIL 2012.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Nac

Mein Auto: 535XI, 328I
Got mine today, also. I have emailed a request for an apt. at the dealer.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Hadley View Post
Got mine today, also. I have emailed a request for an apt. at the dealer.
what dealer will you use? my wife will probably drop-off at BMW of Rockville (VOB, of course)
Old 05-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Nac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW535xia View Post
what dealer will you use? my wife will probably drop-off at BMW of Rockville (VOB, of course)
Silver Spring BMW
Old 05-02-2012, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Got my notice today too. Based on personal experience, I would avoid VOB. They are not good at analyzing problems and do a poor job, too. For example, they did not properly torque down my replacement spark plugs.

BMW CCA Member
Old 05-03-2012, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Titanium Grey 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
Got my notice today too. Based on personal experience, I would avoid VOB. They are not good at analyzing problems and do a poor job, too. For example, they did not properly torque down my replacement spark plugs.
I got my notice yesterday. What are your opinions of BMW of Arlington or BMW of Fairfax?

2006 550i Titanium Gray, Sports Package, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Navigation, Logic 7, Sirius, M-Tech Kit, PDC

Last edited by 550iMarine; 05-03-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:04 AM

deleted duplicate

2006 550i Titanium Gray, Sports Package, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Navigation, Logic 7, Sirius, M-Tech Kit, PDC

Last edited by 550iMarine; 05-03-2012 at 06:11 AM. Reason: duplicate post, trying to delete
Old 05-03-2012, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550iMarine View Post
I got my notice yesterday. What are you opinions of BMW of Arlington or BMW of Fairfax?
I usually go to BMW FFX. Not because they are any great shakes but because they are close to Metro and thus convenient.

I got the notification y/day too.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solanno1 View Post
I usually go to BMW FFX. Not because they are any great shakes but because they are close to Metro and thus convenient.

I got the notification y/day too.
Thanks Solanno1, I wish they had a dealer in Prince William.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive
Is this recall also valid in Canada?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Also just got the notice yesterday...bringing her in for her last service during the maintenance warranty (expires 5/14) anyways on Monday - so this has now been added to the list of what they will check out.
'08 VW Eos (commuter car)
Old 05-03-2012, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFans View Post
Is this recall also valid in Canada?
Just called my dealership and they're processing the recall in Canada as well.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:41 PM

fyi

taking mine in for the repair on monday, may 7 @7:30 a.m. dealer says that repair will run about 1 hour +. owner must wait on-site for the repair to be performed.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Got my recall notice today. Already had an appointment on Saturday for few items, will get this done too!
2009 535i BSM/NB/Prem pkg, Sport pkg, comfort access, Navigation, Sport Transmission with Shift Paddles, PDC, Heated Front Seats, iPod and USB Adaptor, Satellite Radio, BSW Stage 1 Speaker upgrade, JBL MS8 DSP, Technic Harness and BMW Individual co-axial center speaker ==> Superb Custom LOGIC 7, New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires! Route 66 Extended Warranty till 5+yrs:1/26/2018 or 100k miles, Beyern Spartan Chrome Concave Rotary Forged Wheels 18x8.5 ET15, 18x9.5 ET25.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: E60 550i sport
Got mines yesterday.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
If you do get this done at BMW of Rockville let me know if their service has improved at all, since it appears they are under new management, otherwise I think I would rather drive to BMW of Silver Spring.

I got the notice yesterday as well, but it was for my 2007 530i that got totaled a little over a month ago, haven't received one for my 2009 535i.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: E60 550i sport
I may be wrong for this, but I am seriously apprehensive about bringing in my car to have this recall work done. I have zero trust in BMW service and what they stand for. The vast majority of service departments are a bunch of crooks.They some how always try to find away to get money out of customers for issues that they are responsible for. My car is running absolutely fine at the moment. However, I'm getting that gut feeling that they may try to sabotage my car with another problem and tell me "this fix is not covered under warranty" Especially since I'm on the original battery. Yeah, call me paranoid, but this just shows the distrust I have for BMW service.

Last edited by Space grau 550i; 05-03-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnMyWallet View Post
If you do get this done at BMW of Rockville let me know if their service has improved at all, since it appears they are under new management, otherwise I think I would rather drive to BMW of Silver Spring.

I got the notice yesterday as well, but it was for my 2007 530i that got totaled a little over a month ago, haven't received one for my 2009 535i.
I am done with dealing wit VOB - not going there again ever.

BMW CCA Member
Old 05-04-2012, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnMyWallet View Post
I just had the recall performed at BMW of Rockville this morning. I was there in total about 1.5 hours. Since it was expected to take about an hour, they didn't provide a loaner, so I waited. The waiting area is much nicer than before - free wifi, water, soda, chips. The people were polite, but not the get-to-know-you type.

I actually wanted to get my oil changed since it has been a little over a year, but they said they couldn't do it until I drove another 6000 miles or so (basically, when the iDrive said so). Not to go on a tangent, but I'm still confused about the whole oil change interval time vs mileage thing.

This dealer is very close to my office, so I use them because of the convenience. I never would have gone there had I been able to schedule an appointment at BMW of Silver Spring last year when my car said it needed service. (Tischer BMW was my dealer at the time I bought my 2010 535xi). Indeed, my first oil change in April 2011 was at Silver Spring. They also took care of the HPFP recall work last April. They were in the middle of renovating their dealership. When I needed another maintenance service item performed last September, I was planning to take it to Silver Spring, too, but I made numerous attempts to actually get a hold of them. Every time, I would reach the receptionist, ask for my SA, and get routed somewhere else or disconnected. I tried at least 5 times and finally gave up and called up Rockville and got an appointment. I liked the service at Silver Spring (very nice about providing loaners, updating me, etc). But something was screwy with their phone system and I literally could not get a hold of anyone to schedule service. Hopefully, they've fixed those problems by now.

Rockville has now taken care of two small services thus far - no problems, but the SA's don't seem as interested in getting to know you or your car. Get in, get out, get going.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Nac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvegas View Post
I just had the recall performed at BMW of Rockville this morning. I was there in total about 1.5 hours. Since it was expected to take about an hour, they didn't provide a loaner, so I waited. The waiting area is much nicer than before - free wifi, water, soda, chips. The people were polite, but not the get-to-know-you type.

I actually wanted to get my oil changed since it has been a little over a year, but they said they couldn't do it until I drove another 6000 miles or so (basically, when the iDrive said so). Not to go on a tangent, but I'm still confused about the whole oil change interval time vs mileage thing.

This dealer is very close to my office, so I use them because of the convenience. I never would have gone there had I been able to schedule an appointment at BMW of Silver Spring last year when my car said it needed service. (Tischer BMW was my dealer at the time I bought my 2010 535xi). Indeed, my first oil change in April 2011 was at Silver Spring. They also took care of the HPFP recall work last April. They were in the middle of renovating their dealership. When I needed another maintenance service item performed last September, I was planning to take it to Silver Spring, too, but I made numerous attempts to actually get a hold of them. Every time, I would reach the receptionist, ask for my SA, and get routed somewhere else or disconnected. I tried at least 5 times and finally gave up and called up Rockville and got an appointment. I liked the service at Silver Spring (very nice about providing loaners, updating me, etc). But something was screwy with their phone system and I literally could not get a hold of anyone to schedule service. Hopefully, they've fixed those problems by now.

Rockville has now taken care of two small services thus far - no problems, but the SA's don't seem as interested in getting to know you or your car. Get in, get out, get going.
I can't speak to the phone service, but emailing the SA has been easy and responsive for me. Here's a link if you care to use it.

http://www.bmwofsilverspring.com/service/index.htm
Old 05-04-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
taking mine in for the repair on monday, may 7 @7:30 a.m. dealer says that repair will run about 1 hour +. owner must wait on-site for the repair to be performed.
Thanks for the heads-up. I guess I know when I am taking in my car.

BMW CCA Member
Old 05-04-2012, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i Monaco Blue
Had my car in for service on Thursday for oil change, the SA said the cable cover recall was in the computer, so they did that too. This was at BMW North Houston. I did not receive a letter.

Sent from my EVO4G using Bimmer App