Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-05-2012, 09:13 AM
stylinexpat's Avatar
stylinexpat stylinexpat is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Between California and Asia
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17,988
Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Anyone been to Myanmar?

I have always liked traveling and investing abroad. These days most countries I know of seem out of the question for investing but Myanmar seems quite good these days. I plan on visiting Myanmar some time soon to check it out.

http://www.reuters.com/video/2012/03...eoId=231755758
__________________
2009 M3
130i Sold
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:58 PM
dtkw's Avatar
dtkw dtkw is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Indiana
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,394
Mein Auto: 740iL
Are you talking about the land used to be called Burma? Well with it's military being the boss until recently. I'd wait to see how stable the new leader regime is before stepping foot in. Also, there is no clean water system in there. Well, at least when I was there. You turned on the water, it came out brown. But that's was a few decades before. So, do you know anyone from there you trust to help you to start an investment? It was a very corrupted system back then, I suspect that changed at all?!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-08-2012, 05:38 PM
E36 Phantom's Avatar
E36 Phantom E36 Phantom is offline
I Am The Machine
Location: Somewhere Between The Valley & The Bay
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,287
Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Don't know if you're stilla US citizen or not, if so then no, you cannot invest there, it's sanctioned by OFAC and you'll get your investment proceeds frozen and will likely be fined by the Treasury Dept.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
__________________
// Chad // 2001 BMW 740i M-Sport // 2002 Lexus LX470 //
// 1997 BMW 328iS Sport // 1995 BMW 540i/6 Sport //
// 2000 Kawasaki Concours 1000 // 1998 Honda CBR900RR //



Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:23 PM
stylinexpat's Avatar
stylinexpat stylinexpat is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Between California and Asia
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17,988
Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Don't know if you're stilla US citizen or not, if so then no, you cannot invest there, it's sanctioned by OFAC and you'll get your investment proceeds frozen and will likely be fined by the Treasury Dept.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
Isn't the US lifting most sanctions for investment?

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/141215/...ctions-lifting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17619519

I think most sanctions will be lifted soon.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...ctions-633755/
__________________
2009 M3
130i Sold
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:59 PM
E36 Phantom's Avatar
E36 Phantom E36 Phantom is offline
I Am The Machine
Location: Somewhere Between The Valley & The Bay
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,287
Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Once investment sanctions are fully lifted there could definitely be potential there. Keep a close eye on the news and OFACs website. But no, right now it has not been lifted for investments.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
__________________
// Chad // 2001 BMW 740i M-Sport // 2002 Lexus LX470 //
// 1997 BMW 328iS Sport // 1995 BMW 540i/6 Sport //
// 2000 Kawasaki Concours 1000 // 1998 Honda CBR900RR //



Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 PM
wanderlust wanderlust is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 235
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
I have always liked traveling and investing abroad. These days most countries I know of seem out of the question for investing but Myanmar seems quite good these days. I plan on visiting Myanmar some time soon to check it out.

http://www.reuters.com/video/2012/03...eoId=231755758
Its an evil military dictatorship run by a fascist regime.... Quick visit while you still can!
__________________
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams.
Having arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 AM
Griffoun Griffoun is offline
.
Location: x
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,391
Mein Auto: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Once investment sanctions are fully lifted there could definitely be potential there. Keep a close eye on the news and OFACs website. But no, right now it has not been lifted for investments.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
Americans are too poor to invest elsewhere in the world anyway, does the existence of sanction matters?

Did you watch the video? Look at the stack of cash!!!

Sty, how much USD in cash are you going to take with you?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-10-2012, 06:54 AM
Coconutpete's Avatar
Coconutpete Coconutpete is offline
Coconut Pete's paella!
Location: Charlotte, NC / Denmark
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,435
Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkw View Post
Are you talking about the land used to be called Burma?
Funny, I always read BBC and the Brits are among the group who said "changing the name of your country doesn't erase what happened there so we are still going to call you "Burma".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12990563
__________________
The word "there" can appear as a pronoun, as in “over there".

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:48 AM
stylinexpat's Avatar
stylinexpat stylinexpat is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Between California and Asia
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17,988
Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post
Americans are too poor to invest elsewhere in the world anyway, does the existence of sanction matters?

Did you watch the video? Look at the stack of cash!!!

Sty, how much USD in cash are you going to take with you?
I'm always looking for an opportunity and it could be in any country. In before the pop and out when things look like they are topping out. I was wrong though on China when I thought it was topping out about 3-4 years ago Could have had a good double at minimum from those prices back then.

Singapore is investing heavily into Myanmar and so are the Chinese. To me this is a very good sign. Where the Chinese are and where they are buying is the place to be. Most Americans can't make their own minimum payments on their own homes let alone travel to another country (those with passports) and invest there.
__________________
2009 M3
130i Sold
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Demiblade Demiblade is offline
Registered User
Location: Singapore
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: E89
I was born there, and mostly stay in Singapore nowadays. But I travel there back and forth for business monthly. I see many tourists recently since the bi-election and reforms.

Make sure to visit Bagan (a heritage site of old pagodas), and Innlay lake (an ex-volcanic lake above sea level). Those are off the beaten track from ex-capital Yangon, but worth the effort if you love experiencing new things. I have personally been around the world to all continents (except Antarctica lol), but many places in Myanmar still have that old world charm money can't buy.
__________________
BMW/MINI owner in Myanmar? www.bmwmini-mm.com
Black Sapphire E89
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 AM
stylinexpat's Avatar
stylinexpat stylinexpat is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Between California and Asia
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17,988
Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiblade View Post
I was born there, and mostly stay in Singapore nowadays. But I travel there back and forth for business monthly. I see many tourists recently since the bi-election and reforms.

Make sure to visit Bagan (a heritage site of old pagodas), and Innlay lake (an ex-volcanic lake above sea level). Those are off the beaten track from ex-capital Yangon, but worth the effort if you love experiencing new things. I have personally been around the world to all continents (except Antarctica lol), but many places in Myanmar still have that old world charm money can't buy.
Thanks
__________________
2009 M3
130i Sold
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 AM
ekw540 ekw540 is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: BMW
Visit

I was born there also and now in US. With all the things happening there recently, I have been there 5 times this past year. The country is still in infancy in term of economy. If you are a foreigner you can not own land or buy a condo. But if you are serious about investing and dont mind a very high risk (x0 but may also be high reward x4 x5 times) then partner up with a local guy and buy a place. PM me if you want more info.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms