Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-05-2012, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi Mon Blue.
535xi spark plug change schedule

My car (2008 535xi), is now due for its first service since I bought it in August. It is just shy of 50,000 miles now. It actually contacted the dealer to tell them that its due for service (I hate that!). Anyway when I took it to the service clinic a month ago they told me that the comp shows that it is due soon for service to include the oil change, Intake Silencer (Air filter?) and spark plugs!! Then the service guy said wonder why spark plugs for they are not scheduled till 100,000 on this car typically. He believes the dealer by my house (I took it to a one further away for the service clinic) when I took it in last time there coded the information wrong. I doubt I need to change the spark plugs so soon, but the message I got from the local area dealer asks me to come in and do that along with the oil change and instake silencer. Thoughts? It might be my chance to catch the local dealer with them trying to scam me if they insist on spark plugs now!
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
you think you want your spark plugs to run for 100,000?

Dunno - my 335i had plugs at 50k - it was a LOT smoother with new plugs - I'm thinking I'm going to do my 535i every 30k miles whether the dealer says so or not.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Nac

Mein Auto: 535XI, 328I
The N54 engine calls for spark plug replacement at 45K miles. This is different for some of the other motors.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5
Yep, it's supposed to coincide with every third oil change on the 535i. So, yeah, every 45,000 miles.

But what's odd for me is your service guy didn't know the 35s have a spark plug change schedule of 45,000 miles.

Last edited by rijc99; 05-08-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 AM

That makes more sense. Im seeing consistent 45K miles references online. Funny thing nothing in the owner manual, or at least I could not find any references for maintenance schedule. I just wanted to make sure that the local dealer is not trying to take advantage of me in that regards....thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 06:12 AM
Nac

Mein Auto: 535XI, 328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo6 View Post
That makes more sense. Im seeing consistent 45K miles references online. Funny thing nothing in the owner manual, or at least I could not find any references for maintenance schedule. I just wanted to make sure that the local dealer is not trying to take advantage of me in that regards....thanks
This url will be helpful. Spark plug schedule is on page 10.

http://www.irvinebmw.com/usr/theme/i...es_English.pdf
Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
as a disabled engineer, the whole computer thing just "bugs the snot out of me": in engineering we used to have a saying: "The system is slave not the master". My 530xi is out of warranty, so I am just doing my own thing with it. And my car doesn't even have an oil dipstick.........you check the oil level thru the LCD. I am weary of BMW thinking it's owners are stupid. There is no "Under the Hood" section in the manual; Not too many specifics as it relates to services............so I keep a manual log of whatever service I do myself and ignore the LCD. Then I have a friend at FCAC re-set the LCD for me.

Last edited by stevendc; 05-09-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Hadley View Post
This url will be helpful. Spark plug schedule is on page 10.

http://www.irvinebmw.com/usr/theme/i...es_English.pdf
Thanks for the reference....The SA at the further (typically more reputable) dealer must have been confused...or trying to convince me to service at their location by making local dealer look bad!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevendc View Post
as a disabled engineer, the whole computer thing just "bugs the snot out of me": in engineering we used to have a saying: "The system is slave not the master". My 530xi is out of warranty, so I am just doing my own thing with it. And my car doesn't even have an oil dipstick.........you check the oil level thru the LCD. I am weary of BMW thinking it's owners are stupid. There is no "Under the Hood" section in the manual; Not too many specifics as it relates to services............so I keep a manual log of whatever service I do myself and ignore the LCD. Then I have a friend at FCAC re-set the LCD for me.
As an ex Ford engineer, this bothers the hell out of me too. I bought my car in August (first BMW), and just realized last month it doesnt have a simple dipstick and now no clear reference to a "maintenance schedule"....
Old 05-09-2012, 06:37 AM

yeah, and did you notice those "Star Shaped" fittings on the engine? Haven't tried to remove any, but I believe any 12 point socket should work.............it's just another illusion to trick owners.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:52 AM

I was told that oil temp gauges are all going because too many owners misread them as coolant temp. That indicates the avg owner *is* an idiot - bcuz it said clear as day on my 335i ... OIL TEMP.

I miss that my 535i doesn't have it ... Instead I have that useless instant mpg gauge which I loathe.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:00 AM

I know you are not addressing me. there two kinds of BMW owners: "Enthusiasts" & those who drive them to demonstrate their "Status or Success Level". My Dad retired from the local BMW Dealership, but he never owned one.............he was "Caddy" kind of guy and hated BMW's (even though he sold plently of them).
Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I know you are not addressing me. there two kinds of BMW owners: "Enthusiasts" & those who drive them to demonstrate their "Status or Success Level". My Dad retired from the local BMW Dealership, but he never owned one.............he was "Caddy" kind of guy and hated BMW's (even though he sold plently of them).
I am not addressing anyone in particular with the idiot comment - but the SA that told me this was coming down from "above" that the econobox gauge was being phased in as a replacement for the oil temp, not because it has any real value, but to stem the flow of "my car is overheating" complaints from dingbat drivers who can't...

a. read the text on the gauge
b. open page 1 of the manual and read through the information provided to them
c. google "bmw temperature gauge"
d. listen to their SA

I'm actually thinking of doing something to cover my economy gauge - I didn't want it - and it annoys me waving all over the place in traffic... I didn't buy the car to hyper-mile and if I was trying to get great MPG, I'd have bought a mini or a smart-car...

For the SA to even hint at people who complain about temperature of engine is a clear indication to me that there are more than enough "idiot" BMW drivers out there.

That I cannot replace the "lost gauge" with a reading on idrive is even more annoying - it seems there is a hidden menu option to get your engine temp (not the same as oil temp of course) - what a joke...

Old 05-09-2012, 08:01 AM

I have yet to encounter this issue............but when and if I do, it will most likely annoy me the same way it does you. I remember when they first started with EGR lights on cars; I was younger then, and had T-Bird. When the EGR light came on, it bothered so much that I put a piece of black electrical tape over it so I didn't have to look at it. Fortunately, the light was located in place that allowed my tape to go un-noticed. Would chat more, but have to run......
Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Anyone know what the dealers charge for spark plug replacements?

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
Anyone know what the dealers charge for spark plug replacements?
my dealer charged me $22 a plug and 1 hour for my 335i which was just out of maintenance.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 AM

the biggest problem that people have with replacing plugs is caused by virtue of their inabililty to seat and thread the plugs properly, (in what, for lack of a better term, is that the plugs are typically seated in a "deep well") and even if you use a socket wrench with an extension, you can't tell if they are properly seated. The way to avoid this is to use a rubber hose (appox. 8-9" long) and place one end of the hose over the tip of your spark plugs...........and then, along with flashlight, extend the plug while attached to the hose into the deep well, and turn the hose in order start the threading of plug. once you have started the initial threading correctly, remove the hose and then use your socket wrench and the extension to tighten the plug. After that, it's just a matter of re-attaching the ignition wires. Do one plug at a time, so as to avoid getting the ignition wires co-mingled.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
the biggest problem that people have with replacing plugs is caused by virtue of their inabililty to seat and thread the plugs properly, (in what, for lack of a better term, is that the plugs are typically seated in a "deep well") and even if you use a socket wrench with an extension, you can't tell if they are properly seated. The way to avoid this is to use a rubber hose (appox. 8-9" long) and place one end of the hose over the tip of your spark plugs...........and then, along with flashlight, extend the plug while attached to the hose into the deep well, and turn the hose in order start the threading of plug. once you have started the initial threading correctly, remove the hose and then use your socket wrench and the extension to tighten the plug. After that, it's just a matter of re-attaching the ignition wires. Do one plug at a time, so as to avoid getting the ignition wires co-mingled.
that's a great little tip there!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:41 AM

no problem brother.........I may be a disabled engineer, but I enjoy it when I able to find "work-arounds" for what the engineers in Germany have made intentionally complicated
Old 05-09-2012, 03:12 PM

cost?

Since we are on the topic I started and based on your comments it looks like I will be changing them soon, any insights on cost? I was quoted by local dealer about $440 for the spark plug change alone...Im waiting for call from other dealer. Labor was for 2.2hrs and plugs where like $130 or so...insights?
Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Since we are on the topic I started and based on your comments it looks like I will be changing them soon, any insights on cost? I was quoted by local dealer about $440 for the spark plug change alone...Im waiting for call from other dealer. Labor was for 2.2hrs and plugs where like $130 or so...insights?
you can buy the plugs online for $11.50 each or $69 a set. BMW plug tool from BMS: $19 :

http://www.burgertuning.com/N54_BMW_...t_adapter.html

your time - your cost...

Torque wrench - $100 for an ok model - which you can use for many years to come.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:08 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
I called my indy. He said (his prices) twenty bucks a plug, under an hour labor. That makes it approximately 120 for the hardware, and under 120 for the labor. His estimate was about a half hour or so labor, so, I am guessing 3/4 hour or 90 bucks. He also said that at 50K, the plugs are often good enough to not need replacement, but they would definitely need to be looked at and have anti-seize applied, since the plug is steel and the engine is aluminum. ( I am not sure about this part, since you are introducing a third metal here, but he says that if people wait too long, like 100K, sometimes the plugs seize).

Any engineers out there with insight?

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.

Last edited by Kamdog; 05-09-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
I called my indy. He said (his prices) twenty bucks a plug, under an hour labor. That makes it approximately 120 for the hardware, and under 120 for the labor. His estimate was about a half hour or so labor, so, I am guessing 3/4 hour or 90 bucks.
Cool! Thanks...wait on Dealer 2 to respond and I will make a educated call then. Car is still under CPO so I really dont want to deal with doing the work myself.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:08 PM

It's been about a year since I did this (and given my medication-fried brain) I don't remember the exact cost. I used Bosch Platinum Plugs from a local parts store; and I believe it took me about two hours to do them all (including removal and re-fiitting of the wonderful plastic cover which obstructs you from being able to see anything under the hood). Took some extra time and replaced the oxygen sensors as well.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Quote:
Cool! Thanks...wait on Dealer 2 to respond and I will make a educated call then. Car is still under CPO so I really dont want to deal with doing the work myself.
Hmmm. CPO is not the same as maintenance. It is a warranty only. You pay for service.