Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 04-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323i 5spd
best aftermarket nav for e46?

I'm looking into getting an aftermarket navigation system that looks factory. I've found several models I like but I'm not sure which one to go with. Navino has a couple nice ones and I found a thread one here with a couple with way more features like wifi and android specific software. But the models apparently have a lot of reliability issues. Wha isthe best model for around the 6-700 range? I have the amplified non Harmon kardon. Not sure if ill be changing out the speakers yet. I am adding a Jl amp and sub so a high voltage line out would be nice. Steering wheel control would be.nice go keep as well.
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2012, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 and 330xi
I have a e46 and replaced the radio with a Dynavin v5. It is a very popular radio for the e46. The reason it is popular is because it is made specifically for the e46 and looks perfectly factory. It also has many features to it. Its an expensive radio around $700 to $800 new or so. Unfortunately, the radio is complete garbage in my opinion. The AM radio reception is awful, I get audio interference with the Sirius radio with a car kit, the ipod interface is terrible, the navigation directions is barely useable (it refuses to take the highway and the most direct route to any destination).

So with this glowing review, I may be selling my Dynavin, so if you want a factory looking Navigation.

The problem with the e46 and adding an aftermarket navigation system, the car will not fit any Double Din Stereos with Navigation. That is why people buy the Dynavin. I hate the Dynavin so much, I may just forget about the navigation and buy a new single din radio.

I'm in Morristown, NJ, not terrible far from you, if you wanted to see the radio for yourself.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323i 5spd
Thanks for the offer but that's kinda the impression I had doing research online. None of them even mention line voltage out or audio specifics. Sound quality is a major part of this decision. I'm a little surprised to hear the higher end dynavin is poor quality as wel. Sounds like I'd be amused by the cool features for a little then end up either back to factory or installing my eclipse 8 volt unit.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:34 AM
MSport is Best Sport

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Coupe, Comp, 6mt
When I looked at this, the options were underwhelming and expensive. I think you would be better off with a nice portable Garmin unit for the times you need direction (they are insanely cheap now, and packed with features). And then improve the audio separately.

2005 BMW M3 Coupe Black/Black 6mt- sold