Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 02-03-2012, 07:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 328xi, '11 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB330 View Post
Venezia
Hotel Antica Villa Graziella
Via Luigi Coletti, 6, 30175 Marghera Venezia, Italy
+39 041 921-655
+39 041 921-931 (Fax)
In 2010 we stayed at the Hotel Antica Villa Graziella. If you do not mind public transportation, (10 minute bus ride) it a nice small hotel on a quiet back street. A tip, bottled water is very expensive once in Venice proper. Between the hotel and the bus stop is a grocery store, you can get water for under a euro for 1.5 liter bottles.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: '12 M3 Coupe
Thanks for the feedback.

Another question: when is a good time to order my plane tickets? I can't seem to find a affordable one-way (non-stop) ticket to Paris from a reputable airline, the only thing that comes up is XL Airways and they have horrible reviews. Airfrance is over 2k for just one-way flying coach.

Are the prices so high because im trying to order so early?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: '91 e34 535i, 2012 M3 Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by boi222 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Another question: when is a good time to order my plane tickets? I can't seem to find a affordable one-way (non-stop) ticket to Paris from a reputable airline, the only thing that comes up is XL Airways and they have horrible reviews. Airfrance is over 2k for just one-way flying coach.

Try pricing the same flight but as part of a round-trip ticket (even if you'll never use the return.) Or, make the return your MUC->U.S. flight (called "open-jaw" ticket -- but still generally priced as not much higher (if higher at all) than a basic round-trip-- as long as you use the same airline both ways.)

But, in any case, avoid one-way international economy tickets-- always book round-trip for best pricing.

Last edited by Jon90; 02-03-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 330 bmw
Drop off in Nice makes sense.

I'm looking at Nice and CDG for a drop-off in May. Still deciding.

I drove in Florence years ago with my last ED, and I stayed at a small hotel outside the city center. I have read that there are new laws for parking in Florence that you may need to be aware of. Can't say I know any details, but you may want to look into if you are driving there. Parking at your hotel should be fine though.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 3er
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Try Openskies. Its an all-Biz class wing of British Airways that does Newark to Paris-Orly which is a lot less of a pain in the ass to get into Paris from. I know theres no dropoff there, but I get a lot of promotions from them and the deals are pretty good. Check it out
Old 02-04-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiac09 View Post
Try Openskies. Its an all-Biz class wing of British Airways that does Newark to Paris-Orly which is a lot less of a pain in the ass to get into Paris from. I know theres no dropoff there, but I get a lot of promotions from them and the deals are pretty good. Check it out
Thanks..but i just tried and gave me a quote of $3,280.20 ...this is a great deal if i wanted to fly biz though..
Old 02-05-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks..but i just tried and gave me a quote of $3,280.20 ...this is a great deal if i wanted to fly biz though..
They're usually offering 899 or so. The one other piece of advice I'd give you is that Delta has a JFK-Nice nonstop that can be either reasonable or ridiculous. With the sound of things, you're in the ridiculous season though...
Old 02-07-2012, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: '12 535 xDrive, '04 Z4
Pickpockets!

Enjoy Paris and Versailles. Although I would skip that and tour more of Paris. Versailles is big, opulent, enormous gardens so if you like that go for it. But it will take a day to get there and back. During the course of which you will change from the subways to train and the same on the return. As concious as I thought I was traveling those, I still got picked. By the time I recognized what was happening, I jumped off the subway chased after the thief and was distracted by his partner who threw my wallet back sans cash. Credit cards, license intact so I was out the moeny. The pickpockets are everywhere particularly at the train stations, they work in pairs and they're fast. So wear a money belt or a little cash, cc and id and put everything else in the hotel safe and enjoy the trip.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzmarl View Post
Enjoy Paris and Versailles. Although I would skip that and tour more of Paris. Versailles is big, opulent, enormous gardens so if you like that go for it. But it will take a day to get there and back. During the course of which you will change from the subways to train and the same on the return. As concious as I thought I was traveling those, I still got picked. By the time I recognized what was happening, I jumped off the subway chased after the thief and was distracted by his partner who threw my wallet back sans cash. Credit cards, license intact so I was out the moeny. The pickpockets are everywhere particularly at the train stations, they work in pairs and they're fast. So wear a money belt or a little cash, cc and id and put everything else in the hotel safe and enjoy the trip.
wow, thanks for the heads up. Was your wallet in your front pocket or rear? i always keep my wallet in my front pocket and my jeans are slim fit, so its pretty snug, do you think that is safe enough? do i have to worry about theft when walking around with my SLR camera around too?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
wow, thanks for the heads up. Was your wallet in your front pocket or rear? i always keep my wallet in my front pocket and my jeans are slim fit, so its pretty snug, do you think that is safe enough? do i have to worry about theft when walking around with my SLR camera around too?
Considering half of Asia is at the Palace at any given time, your SLR isn't a big deal. If you're paranoid you can buy a cut-resistant strap for it, if not you'll just like like the 3 million other hipsters in the Ile-de-France. If you're really paranoid you can get one of those pouch things that goes around your neck, but that will make you more of a target than anything.

Last edited by Meiac09; 02-07-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: '12 535 xDrive, '04 Z4
Pickpockets Part II

Your front pocket should be fine. I wasn't that smart. A few other tips riding, entering and exiting the subways & trains: try to always grab a seat, stay away from the doors and get on and off fast. My pickpockets hit me while I was standing by the door holding on to a hand strap. One distracted me by pretending to look for something on the floor while the other picked my wallet. Probably took three seconds as the subway came into a stop. The camera will be fine. By the way, I can't wait to go back to Paris!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:53 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzmarl View Post
Your front pocket should be fine. I wasn't that smart. A few other tips riding, entering and exiting the subways & trains: try to always grab a seat, stay away from the doors and get on and off fast. My pickpockets hit me while I was standing by the door holding on to a hand strap. One distracted me by pretending to look for something on the floor while the other picked my wallet. Probably took three seconds as the subway came into a stop. The camera will be fine. By the way, I can't wait to go back to Paris!
My wife learned the hard way that when on public transportation you should always wear your backpack backwards on your chest instead of your back and cross your arms over it. She had her wallet picked out of her backpack on the subway coming back from Circuit Gilles Villeneuve at the Grand Prix du Canada in Montreal a few years ago.

The perp got on the packed car, pretended to stumble and bump into a number of people, then suddenly ran out of the car at the last minute just as the warning sounded that the doors were going to close. Everyone thought that he was some rude jerk who didn't know where he was going. Walking up the stairs out of the subway I noticed that the zippers of my wife's backpack were opened about six inches. She said that she didn't leave her backpack open and when she checked she discovered her wallet was gone.

Another thing we learned: My wife and I both have the same Visa card and American Express card. With the Visa card you share the same account number so once we called Visa my card was no good either. With American Express you each have a unique account number so my card was still good. Always travel with more than one credit card and don't carry them both in the same place!
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 05-05-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Updated Iternary:

Budget for everything: 8k for two people, does that sound realistic?

Day 1 - Depart NYC in the evening
Day 2 - Arrive Paris (Hotel Canyon)
Day 3 - Explore Paris
Day 4 - Versailes
Day 5 - Finish up Paris, take overnight train to munich
Day 6 - Take delivery at the Welt in the morning, Factory Tour,BMW Musuem, Hotel: Motel One Step Tor
Day 7 - Explore Munich
Day 8 - Drive to Neush. Castle and Stelvio Pass, head to Venice, but will stop at any hotel along the way when I get tired
Day 9 - Park at Tronchetto, Ferry to Venice (Hotel: TBD)
Day 10 - Finish up Venice, Ferry back to Tronchetto, Drive to Florence (Hotel: TBD)
Day 11 - Explore Florence Muesums
Day 12 - Drive to Pisa for a quick picture, then drive to Monaco (Hotel: TBD)
Day 13 - Drive to Nice (Hotel: TBD)
Day 14 - Finish up Nice, drop off car in Nice, fly home from Nice

Does this look better? Also, I am worried about the parking in Florence, Monaco and Nice. Any recommendations on a safe parking that is not valet?
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good spa place in any of these cities? Also, for attractions (i.e. museums), is there a place/website to get cheaper tickets?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good spa place in any of these cities? Also, for attractions (i.e. museums), is there a place/website to get cheaper tickets?
Here's three options close to Munich:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...099020936.html

We've found the Paris Museum Card to be a good value, especially as it allowed us to pop into any number of smaller museums for just a short period of time when if we were paying actual admission we would have passed them up. It includes a large number of museums, including Versailles, but if you don't go this route there used to be a combination train/admission ticket for Versailles that saved some money.

Museum pass: http://en.parismuseumpass.com/

A 3 day pass is EU39, and Versailles alone is EU18, the Louvre is EU10, and Orsay is EU9, that's almost the price right there, but the best part is you get to skip the normal lines, which can be crushingly long. They sell the passes at every museum on the list, so my advice is to find a small place close to where you're staying and buy it there, as the line will be short. On our last trip we really enjoyed the Branley as well as the Rodin Museum.

Last edited by milepig; 05-05-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
Here's three options close to Munich:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...099020936.html

We've found the Paris Museum Card to be a good value, especially as it allowed us to pop into any number of smaller museums for just a short period of time when if we were paying actual admission we would have passed them up. It includes a large number of museums, including Versailles, but if you don't go this route there used to be a combination train/admission ticket for Versailles that saved some money.

Museum pass: http://en.parismuseumpass.com/

A 3 day pass is EU39, and Versailles alone is EU18, the Louvre is EU10, and Orsay is EU9, that's almost the price right there, but the best part is you get to skip the normal lines, which can be crushingly long. They sell the passes at every museum on the list, so my advice is to find a small place close to where you're staying and buy it there, as the line will be short. On our last trip we really enjoyed the Branley as well as the Rodin Museum.
Awesome. Thanks!! For the spa in Munich, have you had personal experience with anyone of them?
Old 05-05-2012, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Awesome. Thanks!! For the spa in Munich, have you had personal experience with anyone of them?
No personal experience in Munich area. Do be forwarned that most German spas are non-textile and mixed sex.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: Depends
Are you still going to Monaco? See your itenerary by day, but not clear on the date. I was there on my ED two years ago and spent the weekend there during the F1 race-that race is 27 May this year. Prices for hotels there are steep at that time-great parking across from Le Meridian Hotel. I caught up with another Fester doing his M3 ED there too. Can't wait to do another ED myself!
2011 Ford F350 400HP + 800 Ft Lbs
2009 Formula SS 2x375HP + plenty but unpublished
1999 Dodge Viper 460HP + 500 Ft Lbs
Old 05-16-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2Torque View Post
Are you still going to Monaco? See your itenerary by day, but not clear on the date. I was there on my ED two years ago and spent the weekend there during the F1 race-that race is 27 May this year. Prices for hotels there are steep at that time-great parking across from Le Meridian Hotel. I caught up with another Fester doing his M3 ED there too. Can't wait to do another ED myself!
Oh, darn...yes, i'm still going, but i wont be in Monaco till June...=(

How is self-parking in Monaco? Hard to find?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: Depends
not too hard to find it's directly across from the hotel, if you look at the LeMeridian Hotel (Le Meridien Beach Plaza, 22 Avenue Princesse Grāce, 98000 Monaco) there is a road directly in front of the hotel, on google maps you will notice another road directly adjacent-that road is actually at a higher terrace level (very hilly small country as you know if you watch F1 race) the parking is underdround-actually under that adjacent road. The LeMeridian valets use a section of that lot as well-it cost me about $175 to park my car via the hotel for 3 days-it would have been less to self park. In Monaco I saw Ferraris parked on the side of the road overnight like you'd expect a Honda to be ;-)
2011 Ford F350 400HP + 800 Ft Lbs
2009 Formula SS 2x375HP + plenty but unpublished
1999 Dodge Viper 460HP + 500 Ft Lbs
Old 05-30-2012, 04:20 PM

finally took delivery today..more pics to come
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	554266_565646592894_355992745_n.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	327256