Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
Talking 2009 X3 with factory navi

Not sure if this question has been asked or if this has been done, but there is minimal info on the x3 when googled.

Anyways, my wife has an 09 X3 with factory navi.
Is there anyway, I can install an aftermarket deck and keep the navi function along with the reverse camera?
I'm hoping so....

She wants proper iPod functionality that can't be had with the silverline dice device and factory HU.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by drapizan; 05-04-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2012, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
I'm assuming this hasn't been done or is easily done?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:18 AM

Mein Auto: '09 E70 X5 35sd
What more do you want from an iPod/iPhone Interface that a Silverline Duo or Mediabridge can't give you?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
The short answer to your question is no this isn't possible.

The long answer is that the head unit is the interface (what talks) to the DVD nav drive in the truck and screen. Your head unit is where your menu and select jog dial is for the use of the navigation. If you remove the head unit the navigation screen will both go blank and you would loose the ability to even select the board computer and make changes. In my 09 that jog dial on the head unit is the only way to control the input. I suppose if you are a heavy duty QNX programmer you could figure a way to build an interface but to my knowledge that doesn't exist.

There are 3rd party companies like Dynavin that make factory looking aftermarket head units but for the e83 you are limited to just adding the navigation unit you already have.

Also...you do have an aux input. I had the same complaint when I bought my 09 new because my 08 128 vert had proper iPod integration with a USB port. After 4 years and 86k commute miles I have actually come to prefer the aux input. I can use my iPod to change everything and it is very handy. I just bought a cable like this:
http://www******phoneshop.net/aux.html

And a USB cig lighter plug for charging. Very handy.

Last edited by x3brian; 05-06-2012 at 09:20 AM.