Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 04-12-2012, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW Z4
Time to new front tires ... want to go non-RFT

Well, I am now at about 25K. I have already replaced my Bridgestone RFTs on the rear with the same ones at about 14.5K. There is a lot of life still on those rears. However, the fronts are starting to indicate that I'll need to change them pretty soon.

I had originally hoped that all four would be due at the same time so that I could replace ALL of them with a new set of non-RFTs. But, right now, I may have to change the two fronts before the rears are due.

So, two questions:

(1) Is there any issue with replacing the front tires with non-RFTs, while keeping the rears RFT?

(2) Assuming I go with non-RFTs, what tires do people recommend? I have 18" wheels on my 2011 30i with Sports package.

Thanks, all.

/LesC
Ads by Google
Old 04-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Definitely do not run RFT's with non-RFT's. There's some safety concerns there. I swapped out my RFT's for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. There are other good tires to choose from like Bridgestone Pole Position S-04's, Conti Extreme DW's. You';ll love having 4 nonRFT's

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 04-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcheong View Post
Well, I am now at about 25K. I have already replaced my Bridgestone RFTs on the rear with the same ones at about 14.5K. There is a lot of life still on those rears. However, the fronts are starting to indicate that I'll need to change them pretty soon.

I had originally hoped that all four would be due at the same time so that I could replace ALL of them with a new set of non-RFTs. But, right now, I may have to change the two fronts before the rears are due.

So, two questions:

(1) Is there any issue with replacing the front tires with non-RFTs, while keeping the rears RFT?

(2) Assuming I go with non-RFTs, what tires do people recommend? I have 18" wheels on my 2011 30i with Sports package.

Thanks, all.

/LesC
I have the same car as you with the same mileage. I replaced the Bridgestone RE50 RFT rears at 17k and yesterday put new ones on the rear at a little less than 25k. The calculation is at about 42k I can replace all 4. My choice will probably be the Michelin PS2 ZP which are runflats that I have on my 335is. If I were you I'd do some serious thinking about going to go flats. Those Michelins are excellent and the new 3rd gen Bridgestone rides like a go flat according to Tirerack, they are the RE960 Pole Position RFT, read the test. On a 135 I had I replaced the runflats with goflats and regretted it. The ride wasn't significantly better and I kept worring about a flat or a high speed blowout. I'd see people on the side of the road with a flat when it was raining at night or on an expressway with cars whizzing by at 80 mph missing them by a few feet. Runflats were a nightmare on BMWs when they 1st started because the suspension was wrong and the tires were lousy, as a result lots of people including me got a very negative impression. Since about 2010 the suspension is better and the run flat tires are much improved. I like them now.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Old 04-14-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren View Post
I have the same car as you with the same mileage. I replaced the Bridgestone RE50 RFT rears at 17k and yesterday put new ones on the rear at a little less than 25k. The calculation is at about 42k I can replace all 4. My choice will probably be the Michelin PS2 ZP which are runflats that I have on my 335is. If I were you I'd do some serious thinking about going to go flats. Those Michelins are excellent and the new 3rd gen Bridgestone rides like a go flat according to Tirerack, they are the RE960 Pole Position RFT, read the test. On a 135 I had I replaced the runflats with goflats and regretted it. The ride wasn't significantly better and I kept worring about a flat or a high speed blowout. I'd see people on the side of the road with a flat when it was raining at night or on an expressway with cars whizzing by at 80 mph missing them by a few feet. Runflats were a nightmare on BMWs when they 1st started because the suspension was wrong and the tires were lousy, as a result lots of people including me got a very negative impression. Since about 2010 the suspension is better and the run flat tires are much improved. I like them now.
I don't know what the suspension feels like in the 135, but if I went over a bump with the Z4 if felt like my teeth were rattling. The difference was like night and day. I carry Continental's mobility kit in case of a flat. High speed blow out? It can happen I guess, but after 30+ years of driving it's never happened to me. And if you drive on a "flat" RFT, you're buying a new tire. That's a pretty expensive flat "repair". It's true that the 3d gen tires are supposed to be better, but it's still early. I want to hear more firsthand reports. The debate between these tires goes on and on and on.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 PM

I've read a lot about the non-RFT versus RFT debate on the web, and the this debate still is very heated. I definitely can see both sides and flip-flop between keeping RunFlats (but using the new generation RE960AS RFT) or go non-RFT (and leaning towards the S-04 Pole Positions summer tires).

I think I definitely will NOT be having different tires between the front and rear axles, so I will be changing all four tires at the same time. Probably in another 3K miles hopefully, if my fronts last that long. But regardless, I'll change all four at that time.

I still may flip flop until the time to change, but right now, I'm leaning towards going to the S-04s and using either the Continental or the BMW Mobility Kit in the trunk.

Curious as to what others experiences and opinions are. I still have a few months to go before I make the purchase!

/LesC
Old 04-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
It's the safety angle that sways me. There is the slim chance of a high speed blowout but also the litany of bad thing that can happen if you have a flat. My wife often drives the Z4 alone. To gain this measure of safety what are you giving up ? A few dollars and a very small improvement in ride.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Old 04-15-2012, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
I have a car very similar to yours, s30i with the sport package. I had my OEM RFTs removed by my dealer at delivery and I had them pre-sold to a fellow with a 335i who needed tires in order to turn in his leased car. I got enough for the tires to pay for a set of 4 non-RFTs. Since I wanted all season tires I went with Yokohama ENVigors. You are in southern CA so probably no need for all season tires. You will notice a big difference if you do switch to non-RFTs.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
(Road Trip Car)

2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)
Old 04-16-2012, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Z4 35i 2011 X3 35i
I was entertaining changing to nonRFT until the day a few months back I was enjoying the drive up Decker Cyn Rd above Malibu when I rounded a blind curve only to plow through a bunch of rocks from a mini slide, heard a loud bang and instantly the low tire pressure warning came on. The left front was the victim but I was able to limp to a nearby dealer(25-30 mi.) at 40 mph get the tire replaced go on my way. There was no way a Mobility Kit would have fixed the damaged tire with a 2 inch cut through the tread. It was expensive to replace the tire but it sure beat being stranded on a dangerous blind and very steep mountain road. Needless to say I am a fan of RFT.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:52 PM

So, the flip side to that story is limping to the dealer 25-30 miles only to find that (as is more common) RFT's aren't kept in stock and they'll get it in 2 days. Or they have RFT's but not your particular tire, so now you have to buy 2 to have a matching set You got lucky and I'm glad you were able to maintain control of the car. But there's just as many pluses as minuses.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Tyre profile

Hi, my car has 19" wheels with 255/30/19 0n the rear and 225/35/19 on the front. Does anyone know what is the highest profile I can go to without any issues. I would consider non runflats but of a higher profile perhaps a 45 or 40 front- rear can it be done...
many thanks

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 04-16-2012, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Z4 35i 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
So, the flip side to that story is limping to the dealer 25-30 miles only to find that (as is more common) RFT's aren't kept in stock and they'll get it in 2 days. Or they have RFT's but not your particular tire, so now you have to buy 2 to have a matching set You got lucky and I'm glad you were able to maintain control of the car. But there's just as many pluses as minuses.
I agree that there are pro's and con's to both types of tires and that my experience with RFT is limited to the 2 BMW's that I currently own(2011 X3 35i MSport & 2010 Z4 35i) and I will also admit to changing hundreds if not more tires over the last 55 yrs. having been engaged in farming and ranching for some years. The dealer, Steve Thomas BMW in Camarillo, CA actually had the tire in stock , which surprised me, and at 8500 mi the wear difference between the new tire and existing tire was negligible. I am satisfied with the handling of both vehicles with 15000 mi on the X3 since Aug 11 and 9000 mi on the Z4 since Jan 10. I guess for me at my age(70 yr) I am getting lazy and don't feel like changing or repairing a tire on a rainy night on the side of a busy freeway. PS Mos SoCal BMW dealers keep a complete inventory of tires.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
Hi, my car has 19" wheels with 255/30/19 0n the rear and 225/35/19 on the front. Does anyone know what is the highest profile I can go to without any issues. I would consider non runflats but of a higher profile perhaps a 45 or 40 front- rear can it be done...
many thanks
The only safe way to use a higher profile tire is to go to a smaller wheel. For instance, using 18" wheels you can go to a 40 profile tire on the front and a 35 for the rear. Going to 17" wheels, you can use a 45 on the front and a 40 in the rear. This is running staggered sizes, if you go to a non-staggered setup you can run the front profile on both axles. Go to the tirerack.com website and they can give you all of your options as well as what tires are available in each size.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
(Road Trip Car)

2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)
Old 05-06-2012, 04:09 PM

Update. My left front tire was down to the wear line, so I made the purchase. I ditched the run flats and got four new Bridgestone S-04 Pole Positions (summer performance tires). I also have the BMW Mobility Kit in the trunk full time as well, which provides a cool portable compressor and a can of "goo". BTW, I have already used the compressor a couple of times to tweak the pressure in the tires without having to go to the service station. That is a great side benefit.

I have put a few hundred miles on the new tires already, including a longer test on one of my favorite driving routes (Page Mill, Skyline, Hwy 9, Boony Doon, Ice Cream Grade, Bear Creak Road, for those of you who know the Bay Area). And the ride comfort is immediate apparent. The wheels are super sticky and I have not been able to get them to let loose as easily as I could with the original RFTs (050s). Still explorin the adhesion limits, but I have a long time to figure that out now. I have taken the tires over my known pot holes at known speeds for comparisons, and it is hard to believe that tires can make such a huge difference. What used to be teeth chattering at 30MPH over a few of these potholes not is more of the usual "blip" that you expect.

I know the debate between RFT and non-RFTs will continue on, but for now, I'm a believer of switching to non_RFTs. I may switch back once I hear a lot more people praising the new RFT technology and comfort.

/LesC
Old 05-06-2012, 04:20 PM

That was my experience as well. It's a life changer, so to speak. And those are great tires. If anyone is in need of a set of 17" Pole Position S-04's I have a set with only 1200 miles on them. PM me if you're interested.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
FYI - for those of you nearing tire replacement decision soon.

I was reading the Feb 12 BMWCCA Roundel with a review of the new 3er F30 328 (4 cyl TT) "Sport Line" mounted with the latest generation (3rd) Bridgestone 19" Potenza S001 RFT. The editor was pleasantly surprised at the ride and handling. Satch stated he had to get out and verify they were actually RFT's after 10 laps around the Circuit de Cataluna at a recent press launch of the new 3er.

BS side wall stiffness comparison between the RE050's, Non RFT S001 and RFT S001 shows a 6% stiffer side wall for the RFT vs Non RFT S001 as compared to a 26% stiffer sidewall for the RE050A RFT vs the Non RFT S001. So it appears they have made a huge improvement in softening up the sidwall.

BS is now supplying these to BMW as OEM tires and they are available @ Tirerack, comparably priced to the RE050A RFT. They are 1" larger in dia, which should not be a problem (225/40-19 & 255/35-19 in place of the stock 19" Z tires @ 225/35-19 & 255-30/19 F&R respectively). So for those of you who embrace the RFT technology, help may have finally arrived.

I strongly suspect the MY13 Z will be shod with these tires or a minor size variation.

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O