Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
2005 X3 Headlight bulb replacement question

Hello all. I had some questions regarding replacement of a blown out headlight bulb. Thanks in advance for your help:

1. I got the bulb out (OSRAM 12V/55W H7U ). The only part I can find is the H7...same thing?

2. Would it be advisable and worth it to get the PIAA Xtreme white bulbs instead? (and of course is all that involved just plugging in the PIAAs where the OSRAMs used to be?)

PIAA Headlight Bulb
2004-2007 BMW X3
PIAA H7 XTREME WHITE PLUS, TWIN PACK -- Provides up to 110 watts of brightness from 55 watts bulb; 4000 kelvin rating; With XTRA technology; Provides brilliant Xtreme cool white light that lights up road hazards and street signs long before an ordinary halogen bulb; With PIAA's limited warranty.
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Modern Line
Sorry, can't help on this question. Wonder what the difference is between the H7U and H7?
But what is the difference between the osram and the PIAA "white bulbs" ?

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Retired: '07 X3 3.0d M-Sport - '04 X3 2.5i Sportpack - '99 328i E46 - '93 325i E36
Old 05-27-2009, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5
I just replaced both bulbs on my '04.

I replaced with sylvania silverstar ultra.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...ce/Silverstar/

Standard H7 is what I put in. There is a noticeable difference in long distance lighting.

The only caution I give you is the time involved in changing the passenger side light. You have to loosen a bolt and move the window washer fluid tank out of the way. Kind of a design flaw in my eyes, but not a big deal.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 330i, C230K, 3.2CLS-6
Yesterday I was at an AutoZone looking at some replacement bulbs. I decided against getting the higher output bulbs because, according to the chart on the back of the packaging, they have a much shorter lifespan (between 50% and 25% of normal).

What I really want is HID lights. Has anyone converted their halogens to HID? If so, how do you like them?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard2806 View Post

PIAA H7 XTREME WHITE PLUS, TWIN PACK -- Provides up to 110 watts of brightness from 55 watts bulb; 4000 kelvin rating; With XTRA technology; Provides brilliant Xtreme cool white light that lights up road hazards and street signs long before an ordinary halogen bulb; With PIAA's limited warranty.
Nice bulbs, short life. Some people are willing to pay for them, some are not. My X3 still has free service. However, I use these PIAA in my other car. The drawback is the X3 passenger side light is more troublesome to replace due to the windshield washer reservoir.

I may try using PIAA's in the high beams when free service is up.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: x3
I am trying to replace the driverside bulb in my 04 X3, but do not know how to pull out the old bulb. Tried twisting it counter clockwise but would not turn. Cannot even pull it out. Appears some clip is holding it in three places and not sure if I have to pull out the clip first before I can take out the bulb. Opened up the main cover to gain access to the bulb though. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 2.0d
Same problem here. A couple of months ago I tried for hours to pull out the old bulb, but with no success. Then I went to a local electrician, who managed to do it, but with too much effort. He also commented on how difficult it was. I beleive that he didn't find the proper method too! Anyway, there must be a trick to do it. Please, if someone knows exactly the steps to take out the bulb and not just the cover (the cover is an easy task) let me know. It's very annoing to have to go to a dealer for a plain task such as replacing a bulb (and I am no newbie in such things). Sorry for my language (I am Greek).
Old 07-16-2009, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmhtrhs79 View Post
Same problem here. A couple of months ago I tried for hours to pull out the old bulb, but with no success. Then I went to a local electrician, who managed to do it, but with too much effort. He also commented on how difficult it was. I beleive that he didn't find the proper method too! Anyway, there must be a trick to do it. Please, if someone knows exactly the steps to take out the bulb and not just the cover (the cover is an easy task) let me know. It's very annoing to have to go to a dealer for a plain task such as replacing a bulb (and I am no newbie in such things). Sorry for my language (I am Greek).
Anyone ever find the answer to this? I'm thinking about replacing my halogens with some SilverStar Ultras tonight...any info would be much appreciated... Also does your window washer tank need to be empty when you move it out of the way to get to the passenger headlight? Cause I JUST filled mine up...of course...
Old 07-17-2009, 04:38 AM

Mein Auto: x3, 635csi, tii, gto
Exclamation X3 Headlight bulb replacement

I replaced them on my 08 X3 6M a year ago with the PIAA Xtreme Whites.
Very happy with results but it's a bitch of a job, especially if your hands are big.
Some tips:
1. Carefully read the owners manual first to get an idea of the process.
2. Don't attempt to rotate anything.
3. You must go by "feel" since you can't see anything.
4. Do a "dry feel" run before attempting to remove the bulb.
5. When removing the bulb, pay special attention to it's rotational orientation and be certain to insert the new bulb the same way; see the notches in the bulb flange??
6. A hinged spring clip holds the bulb on place so you need to squeeze it between thumb and forefinger then pull it back; reverse order to install.
7. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!! The bulbs are under high perssure and are fragile.
8. Took me almost 2 hours for mine.
9. Take your time and have patience.
10. GOOD LUCK!!

bobkap

Last edited by bobkap; 07-17-2009 at 04:40 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-17-2009, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3
I changed my bulbs with Silverstar Ultras last night, I 100% agree with what you said(above post)...it was a bitch of a job! Eventually I want to replace the bright lights/DRL's but I'm going to have to prep myself, mentally, for that job.hahaha. Thanks for your response.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:46 PM
brum brum

Mein Auto: '04 X3 2.5
Amen here.

Bottom spring clip was the most difficult to overcome for me. Had to press down quite hard and yet to maintain bulb's horizontal orientation. Cannot believe they designed it like that.

I replaced on both sides because there was a significant difference between 6 year old original and Silverstar. So save yourself a hustle and buy a pair - the cheapest set was in Advance Auto Parts for $33.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: '04 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkap View Post
I replaced them on my 08 X3 6M a year ago with the PIAA Xtreme Whites.
Very happy with results but it's a bitch of a job, especially if your hands are big.
Some tips:

5. When removing the bulb, pay special attention to it's rotational orientation and be certain to insert the new bulb the same way; see the notches in the bulb flange??
6. A hinged spring clip holds the bulb on place so you need to squeeze it between thumb and forefinger then pull it back; reverse order to install.

bobkap
I am sorry but without pictures I cannot seem to fathom this. Is he saying to squeeze the circular spring clip at 4:00 and 8:00 and tilt it back from under the clip at 6:00? EDIT, Yep that is the ticket but you need to leave the plug on the bulb to have something to pull on when removing the bulb.

Last edited by fhopper; 10-29-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: x3
i may be doing it retardedly, but i found it easiest to put it in horizontally. once its in but not secured on the clip, angle it so one side is under the clip and then push it down/up depending on the side that you put it in first.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:28 PM
brum brum

Mein Auto: '04 X3 2.5
update: I made 2 years on these bulbs, drove only 15k miles and one died. Do not wast your money, buy regular bulbs or rotate high beams with low and you get improvement at no cost (since high beams are hardly used so they are almost new).
Old 05-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Sanity is over rated

Mein Auto: Silver 2006 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by didymos View Post
update: I made 2 years on these bulbs, drove only 15k miles and one died. Do not wast your money, buy regular bulbs or rotate high beams with low and you get improvement at no cost (since high beams are hardly used so they are almost new).
I changed all my bulbs to Silverstars, I didn't find it too difficult to change the bulbs. I hope I get decent life from them, although I know the life may be shorter I really like the improvement. I don't see it as a waste to have the improved vision.

Silverstar upgraded headlights
Velocity motoring vb3 19" 9.5 wheels
Yokahama S drive tires
Upgraded stereo system
Dice Mediabridge
Hitch install