Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 08 - 760Li
Outside trunk button

Hi guys,
Iím new and need a little help. I have Comfort Access but the button on the outside of the trunk will not open the trunk anymore. The button on the dash will automatically open the trunk and the remote will also open the trunk. The trunk lock in the center console is set to unlock. What changed?
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by E66/AEST-CAT View Post
Hi guys,
Iím new and need a little help. I have Comfort Access but the button on the outside of the trunk will not open the trunk anymore. The button on the dash will automatically open the trunk and the remote will also open the trunk. The trunk lock in the center console is set to unlock. What changed?
have you dropped your keys lately? not sure what else would cause this.....

2005 745LI

Black on Black
Sports Pack
Comfort Acces
Rear Entertainment Pack
Convenience Pack
Premium Sound Pack
BTUM9000
3M Tint - 20%
Akebono Brake Pads
Blacked Out Grille
Smoked Taillights
ACS Roof Spoiler
MTEC V3
MTEC D1S 6000K
MTEC H9 4750K Fogs
Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 08 - 760Li
I accidently discovered the answer to my question. All four doors have to be unlocked for the outside trunk button to operate. My wife drove the car last and only the driverís door was unlocked while parked in the garage. This prevented the outside trunk button from operating.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 750I
Quote:
Originally Posted by E66/AEST-CAT View Post
I accidently discovered the answer to my question. All four doors have to be unlocked for the outside trunk button to operate. My wife drove the car last and only the driverís door was unlocked while parked in the garage. This prevented the outside trunk button from operating.
Sorry to tell you but you still have a issue. I am guessing that your comfort access antanae for your trunk is broken. You can try resetting comfort access by pulling the fuse in the passenger side trunk compartment. Look for the one on the fuse chart that says "passive access" or something like that.

Your trunk button is fine because you can unlock the trunk when the car is unlocked which is normal for cars without comfort access. You should be able to open the trunk with comfort access even when all the doors are locked which is way I think your trunk antanae for comfort access is broken. Your trunk antanae is not recognizing the key so essentially comfort access is broken for your trunk lid.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
I dunno. My car does the same thing his does. All doors have to be unlocked or the trunk button doesn't work. It could be a "safety option". So nobody hopes in your trunk while your driving around........ /sarcasm
Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 760 Li
Mine was initially like that too. I could only open the trunk (keys in my pocket) with doors in unlock position. If locked, it was impossible.

However, after I enabled the Tailgate Open Comfort feature, it now works with doors locked and/or unlocked.

This will be in the HKL Module. Look for KOMFORT_OEFFNEN_HKL. Change it from 'nicht_aktiv' to 'aktiv'

Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samadkins29 View Post
I dunno. My car does the same thing his does. All doors have to be unlocked or the trunk button doesn't work. It could be a "safety option". So nobody hopes in your trunk while your driving around........ /sarcasm

This is not the correct rational.....The trunk will always remain locked when doors are locked as well. Whether you have comfort access or not.

However, the only way you will be able to unlock the trunk (will all doors in locked position) is with proximity of the key fob. Otherwise, it defeats the purpose of passive go 'comfort access'.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkathee View Post
Mine was initially like that too. I could only open the trunk (keys in my pocket) with doors in unlock position. If locked, it was impossible.

However, after I enabled the Tailgate Open Comfort feature, it now works with doors locked and/or unlocked.

This will be in the HKL Module. Look for KOMFORT_OEFFNEN_HKL. Change it from 'nicht_aktiv' to 'aktiv'
That is weird. I can open my trunk with the doors locked with key in pocket and I still have the "KOMFORT_OEFFNEN_HKL" as "nicht_aktiv". I will try this again when I go back to the car just to make sure.

The whole point of comfort acces is to be able to drive and access doors and trunk with key in pocket. If coding for these features were not automatically set correctly with the comfort access feature from the factory I would be very suprised.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:27 PM
2007 760Li User

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
I had this problem, where the car would only allow the trunk to open via the outer button when the car was unlocked.

The car was taken to the dealer where they diagnosed and changed the rear comfort access antenna (behind the rear bumper I think).

Once the car can determine the fob is present, the boot will open regardless of the lock state of the doors.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Burger View Post
I had this problem, where the car would only allow the trunk to open via the outer button when the car was unlocked.

The car was taken to the dealer where they diagnosed and changed the rear comfort access antenna (behind the rear bumper I think).

Once the car can determine the fob is present, the boot will open regardless of the lock state of the doors.
Thats what I was thinking.. That's the only thing that makes sense
Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by samadkins29 View Post
i dunno. My car does the same thing his does. All doors have to be unlocked or the trunk button doesn't work. It could be a "safety option". So nobody hopes in your trunk while your driving around........ /sarcasm
+1

E66 745LI 2004 Sport / Sterling Grey Ext. Blck Int./
22" Wheels / ACS Pedals / ACS Rug Plates/
Black Out Tail Lights / Carbon Fiber Blck.-Gry. Emblams/
Grill Chrome-Blck. /
12" Subwoofers 2000 watt Amp
Old 05-04-2012, 05:45 AM
2007 760Li User

Their seems to be some confustion here for some reason, so let's clear it up..

On cars NOT fitted with comfort access:
The trunk operates from the outer button when the doors are unlocked.
The trunk operates when the fob is used.
The trunk operates when the button inside the cabin is used.

On cars fitted with comfort access:
The trunk operates from the outer button when the doors are unlocked. (regardless of fob presence)
The trunk operates from the outer button when the doors are locked. (only when the fob is present)

In other words, if you have comfort access and you can't open the trunk with the fob in your pocket when the doors are locked, your rear antenna has failed.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Their seems to be some confustion here for some reason, so let's clear it up..

On cars NOT fitted with comfort access:
The trunk operates from the outer button when the doors are unlocked.

On cars fitted with comfort access:
The trunk operates from the outer button when the doors are unlocked. (regardless of fob presence)
The trunk operates from the outer button when the doors are locked. (only when the fob is present)

In other words, if you have comfort access and you can't open the trunk with the fob in your pocket when the doors are locked, your rear antenna has failed.
+100 I tested this for my own sanity last night. It also does not appear to have anything to do with programming.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFEL750I View Post
+100 I tested this for my own sanity last night. It also does not appear to have anything to do with programming.
+1000,

However, for whatever reason, all I know is that my trunk couldn't open when doors were in locked position (key fob in pocket). I tried multiple times but it simply didn't work.

That prompted me to do a little research and that's when I came across that particular coding function. I changed it and all seemed to be fine since then.

I am not exactly sure why the trunk comfort access in my 760 wasn't functional to begin with but I can attest that it changed with programming.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
+1000,

However, for whatever reason, all I know is that my trunk couldn't open when doors were in locked position (key fob in pocket). I tried multiple times but it simply didn't work.

That prompted me to do a little research and that's when I came across that particular coding function. I changed it and all seemed to be fine since then.

I am not exactly sure why the trunk comfort access in my 760 wasn't functional to begin with but I can attest that it changed with programming.
Maybe your trunk can be opened at all times with the door lock even without the fob being present. Could it be what that option has changed? Have you ever tried to open your trunk with the doors lock without the fob near the trunk?

Last edited by DFEL750I; 05-04-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745LI
Trunk

I can not open with remote or the bottom on the trunk what would problem?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFEL750I View Post
Maybe your trunk can be opened at all times with the door lock even without the fob being present. Could it be what that option has changed? Have you ever tried to open your trunk with the doors lock without the fob near the trunk?
I see where you are going with this.........lol

Nope. I just tried opening the trunk with doors locked and no key presence. It did not open.

Once I get my laptop up and running, I will reverse that HKL coding function to 'nicht aktiv' and see what happens.

Now you got me really curious........

Old 05-05-2012, 07:06 AM
2007 760Li User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hung35 View Post
I can not open with remote or the bottom on the trunk what would problem?
Not enough information..

Does the trunk open at all?
Do you have comfort access?
If you have comfort access, can you open the doors without using the fob buttons?

You should be able to work out if:
The fob battery is dead
The fob is broken (trunk button may be damaged if you can operate the other functions)
The trunk c/a antenna has failed
The c/a control module has failed

etc etc

With regards to the coding of KOMFORT_OEFFNEN_HKL, it seems odd that c/a works on one car with it set as not active and doesn't on another...
Perhaps it may refer to the sensing of the key FROM ANY ANTENNA...
So, if the car senses a fob anywhere before the trunk button is tried, open it..

That's a long shot, but it's not logical to have 2 cars with opposing settings and yet have the same function..

Not having the interface to check it myself, we can only rely on your feedback , but I would've assumed it was logical that it should be set to aktiv for any car with c/a as default.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Not enough information..

Does the trunk open at all?
Do you have comfort access?
If you have comfort access, can you open the doors without using the fob buttons?

You should be able to work out if:
The fob battery is dead
The fob is broken (trunk button may be damaged if you can operate the other functions)
The trunk c/a antenna has failed
The c/a control module has failed

etc etc

With regards to the coding of KOMFORT_OEFFNEN_HKL, it seems odd that c/a works on one car with it set as not active and doesn't on another...
Perhaps it may refer to the sensing of the key FROM ANY ANTENNA...
So, if the car senses a fob anywhere before the trunk button is tried, open it..

That's a long shot, but it's not logical to have 2 cars with opposing settings and yet have the same function..

Not having the interface to check it myself, we can only rely on your feedback , but I would've assumed it was logical that it should be set to aktiv for any car with c/a as default.
Burger in the past in all the coding I have done any option with "KOMFORT"* had nothing to do with comfort access. All options with KOMFORT were directly tied to options on closing or opening trunk, windows, sunroof etc using the key fob. On our north American cars all of the "KOMFORT" options were not active by default e.g we can option our windows by holding the unlock button but couldn't close the windows by holding the lock button.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:36 PM
2007 760Li User

Ah, mine is a UK model and closing while holding lock (and vice versa) came as standard as did closing the trunk by holding the trunk button on the remote.

Don't know how pkathee fixed the trunk with a convenience setting then..
Old 05-05-2012, 11:08 PM

***UPDATE***

I barely got my system up and running.

Anyway, I was able to reverse the coding function KOMFORT_OEFFNEN_HKL from 'aktiv' to 'nicht_aktiv'

Um....mmm....I feel a little sheepish to say that it didn't affect the way the trunk comfort closing/opening operates.

I can still open my trunk with doors locked (key-fob next to me) without any difficulties.

I am stumped.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:34 AM
2007 760Li User

Quote:
***UPDATE***

Anyway, I was able to reverse the coding function KOMFORT_OEFFNEN_HKL from 'aktiv' to 'nicht_aktiv'

Um....mmm....I feel a little sheepish to say that it didn't affect the way the trunk comfort closing/opening operates.

I can still open my trunk with doors locked (key-fob next to me) without any difficulties.

I am stumped.
If it's any help, I found the fob reception hit n miss before it finally died and required a new trunk antenna...
Old 05-07-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
***UPDATE***

I am stumped.
stranger things have happened. This just confirms what I was thinking all along. Maybe the comfort access antanae is hooked up to the HKL module for power or something and recoding probably cause the HKL to reset which might have affected the antanae is some way. Just a theory that is most likely wrong...I think the comfort access system is independent and the unit only has one wire which goes to the CAS mofule from the comfort access module along the K-CAN bus to let the CAS know when a key has been detected by a particular antanae.

Lets chalk this one up as a big coincidence