Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 05-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 525i
Found an M3, seems a little over priced

I recently purchased a 525i and to my disappointment it wasn't what I thought it would be. Its too slow and doesn't handle like I want it to. I wasn't expecting much but I was expecting more then this. Luckily the wife really likes it and wants a new car so I'm going to hand it off to her and pick up something else. I found a 2006 M3 in town today, its priced at 27g, has 72,xxx miles. Its in good condition, its clean, the dealer said they could provide a clean car fax and a clean title. It has the clutchless transmission. Does this mean it has the competition package? I didn't really talk to the dealer that much bc they were getting ready to close and I had to get home to get dinner ready. One other thing, I read on one post that they used the clutchless trans as a way to talk the dealer down in price, they didn't specify. What would I point out about it to help come down in price? I've been looking around lately to learn some more about this car because I knew this is what I wanted, if you have any advice I'd like to hear it. Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 05-04-2012, 06:48 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
It has SMG, which was offered from early 2002 Model Year (fall 2001). It may or may not have the competition package. I don't remember what years that was offered. But the big clue is the lack of many steering wheel buttons.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 05-07-2012, 01:23 PM
MSport is Best Sport

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Coupe, Comp, 6mt
A SMG car with over 72k? Probably not worth more that $22-25k depending on options and condition IMHO.
2005 BMW M3 Coupe Black/Black 6mt- sold
Old 05-08-2012, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlallen90 View Post
I found a 2006 M3 in town today, its priced at 27g, has 72,xxx miles. Its in good condition, its clean, the dealer said they could provide a clean car fax and a clean title. It has the clutchless transmission. Does this mean it has the competition package?
That's like crazy EAG pricing.

EAG will actually give you a good idea of pricing - they are extremely premium, but their cars are mint too. I personally would get a manual, dual clutch = good, SMG sucks.

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?f...1D=20&1574_0=1

$27k is perfectly reasonable asking price though, if they discount, meaning they'll sell it for $23k once it sits for a while.

Last edited by Chris90; 05-08-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:28 PM

They've said its been sitting there for a while. I've never seen an E46 in my area for sale, they aren't real popular. I live in the south, American muscle is what people want around here. One of the sales men said he's been there for a month and hes just had people come around who can't afford it looking to go on a joy ride. They won't negotiate price either, so I don't think I'm going to go for this one. I'll just find one somewhere and go on a trip to pick it up. I talked to the local BMW dealership and they ran the vin and said the most they would put the car on their lot for is 21k simply bc it has been in a wreck before.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:28 AM
M Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
I personally would get a manual, dual clutch = good, SMG sucks.

And how much experience do you have to SMG in the M3?

SMG in the non-M cars was not the same system.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
And how much experience do you have to SMG in the M3?

SMG in the non-M cars was not the same system.
Drove it once, thought it sucked - would it be better in a different M3?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3 E46 Conv.
05 and 06 comes with SMG2. I think it is BADASS! You can set the shift mode in terms of the speed, the higher you set the level, the faster and harder it shifts. you can set it in both Auto Manual mode and Drive mode. Way better than manual. But the price, I think it is a bit higher. You should ask for 25K.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 PM

They won't budge at all on price. I think I'll pass this one over and wait till I take some time off from work this summer and go out and find one. I've seen a few that are the same year, with less miles, comp. package, and no wreck on the car fax.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:15 AM
M Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
Drove it once, thought it sucked - would it be better in a different M3?
Which mode? How long? Did you get to drive it hard?

Not everyone likes it, but many do. And since you info line says you have a 330, I was wondering how much experience you actually have with SMG.

I have 10 years of driving an SMG E46 Ms, including a fair number of track events (I instruct). And I love it. It is great on the street, but AWESOME on the track.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 05-10-2012, 04:17 AM
M Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfullerton View Post
05 and 06 comes with SMG2.
All E46 M3s come with SMG2.

SMG3 was offered on the later M5. SMG1 was not sold in the US, but was on the E36 M3.

SMG in the US was SSG elsewhere and a TOTALLY different system.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 05-10-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Which mode? How long? Did you get to drive it hard?

Not everyone likes it, but many do. And since you info line says you have a 330, I was wondering how much experience you actually have with SMG.

I have 10 years of driving an SMG E46 Ms, including a fair number of track events (I instruct). And I love it. It is great on the street, but AWESOME on the track.
I should add it was the auto mode that I thought sucked - in manual mode it is fine. It's been like 10 years so I forgot that distinction. The car was a friend's girlfriend's who bought it thinking it was like driving a slushbox. She hated it.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3
I just bought an M3 last weekend. It's a 2006 SMG model with 85xxxmiles on it. I have seen many were saying negative about the SMG before i buy this car, but i actually pulled the trigger and am super happy with the decision. Yes it needs some time to get used to it but it shifs very nice once you got it. I know 6speeds is also nice, but SMG is very nice too. Highly recommend it.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:52 PM
M Mad

Yes, auto mode sucks. It is like driving with someone else shifting.

Manual mode is very good.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 05-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 04 M3 Coupe SMG
Quote:
Yes, auto mode sucks. It is like driving with someone else shifting.

Manual mode is very good.
Auto mode sucks. I never ever use it unless there is no other way I can shift.

It does take some learning curve to drive the manual mode smooth. Once you know how smg is going to respond to your driving you can drive it very smoothly.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Long-time Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: R1200GS/M5
Quote:
All E46 M3s come with SMG2.

SMG3 was offered on the later M5. SMG1 was not sold in the US, but was on the E36 M3.

SMG in the US was SSG elsewhere and a TOTALLY different system.
I think this is totally incorrect. Now, I'm no E46 M3 expert, but I'm pretty darn sure that no E36 came with any kind of SMG, and I'm also pretty sure that the later E46 M3s came with a different generation of SMG, call it what you will.

Also, to the earlier post, EAG tends to sell pristine well documented cars, nothing with questionable history. They will not market any SMG car. Don't believe me? Look on their website. Ask Eric. He won't touch them.

Here's another reason to avoid SMG here.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:51 AM
M Mad

Nope and nope.

SMG1 (called SMG at the time) was offered on the E36 M3, but NOT in the US. If you go over to the E36 M3 section you will find posts by people (mainly in Europe) with SMG E36 M3s.

ALL E46 M3 SMG cars are SMG2.

SMG3 was introduced the the M5/M6 with the 7 speed gearbox. That gearbox was specific to SMG and could not be used as a standard manual gearbox, as the gears were not the proper order. Using SMG allowed them to put the gears in based on load factors rather than the progression of gear for shifting.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 06-09-2012, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 08 M6 Silver Convertible
I bought an 06 Vert last august for 26k with 47k miles on it. Smg Fully loaded with navi and extras - LED angel Eyes K&N Filter Supersprint exhaust. 27k for 72k miles is regular pricing for regular people but if you look around you can find a deal. Look on Craigslist or Ebay and you will be able to find something. Also, these dealerships know nothing about maintaining an M except the basics and alot of the time unless you get lucky or buy it from an M enthusiast, you will inherit a maintenance bill. My car was super clean and I still had to fix little things like cracked exhaust mount, shock bushings, oil relief valve and that's at 47k and when I did inspection 2, I discovered i was lucky enough to have my vanos upgraded. At 72k you better hope all of that maintenance was done correctly.