Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 530i Loaded
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
Interesting, my vehicle never came with a belly pan so I couldn't tell you and I didn't even know they existed for the 525i to tell you the truth so I am glad you and Oscswa brought that point up.
I bought new fender liners (X2 OEM 525i original) as one was missing and they fitted like a glove with the bumper cover. And yes it holds the top part as well as the bottom (with a bit of modification/reinforced so that it's solid)
I am sure Mike can learn more about it with you and Oscswa since you both did "complete" and then he'll decide which route to take.
Ya as solo said. PICs would be amazing because i want to know exactly what u are talking about with the botttom half of the liners.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 525i 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesE39 View Post
Ya as solo said. PICs would be amazing because i want to know exactly what u are talking about with the botttom half of the liners.
That’s a picture I just took with my iPhone so not the best quality but you can kind of see 2 screws attaching the bumper (on top of everything else). I need to take pictures from underneath to show you exactly what I did with my intake setup in mind then you'll see why I didn't need brake ducts and all that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fender liner.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	323942  
Old 05-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Oscar

Mein Auto: 330i Sport
Quote:
Oh yes I am sure it cost more 5 years ago, as I did mine this February, but I still don't understand what you mean by half a$$ job as there is only one way for the bumper cover to fit properly (if you actually know what I am talking about if you installed it yourself too).
I am sorry about my comment Roman, I meant no disrespect to you nor anyone else. What I meant by half a$$ is that I see so many replacement M bumpers on e39's on the road and what I mostly see is the fender liners are not there exposing the rear end of the fogs, and the rear of the bumper to the tires. I only assume that this is because the person could not get the old fender liners to match up to the new bumper so they removed them. I really do apologize if I offended anyone with my comment as that was not my intent.

Quote:
That's a picture I just took with my iPhone so not the best quality but you can kind of see 2 screws attaching the bumper (on top of everything else). I need to take pictures from underneath to show you exactly what I did with my intake setup in mind then you'll see why I didn't need brake ducts and all that.
Your setup looks very nice and I can see you matched up the fender liners to the new bumper. Very impressive, I only wish this was the same case as in mine, it would have saved me lots of money. Please do post pics of the rest of your setup, this is good information.

01 540i Sport
06 330i Sport
01 530i Sport
01 540i Sport 6spd

Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 PM

Vey good picure. i actualy noticed today that my driver side bottom liner is missing. so i might as well get the ones for the M bumper when i purchase one. does anyone know where to get them from. I am only looking for the piece with the 2 screws shown in Roman Empires pic.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscswa View Post
I am sorry about my comment Roman, I meant no disrespect to you nor anyone else. What I meant by half a$$ is that I see so many replacement M bumpers on e39's on the road and what I mostly see is the fender liners are not there exposing the rear end of the fogs, and the rear of the bumper to the tires. I only assume that this is because the person could not get the old fender liners to match up to the new bumper so they removed them. I really do apologize if I offended anyone with my comment as that was not my intent.
All good, I am actually glad that point/topic was brought up because I never knew my vehicle came with a 'belly pan' from factory. All I know is now, compared to how my original bumper cover was, the M-tech bumper cover is held in place quite nicely and securely; even better than how the original one was holding. And yes I agree with you Fender Liners are a Must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscswa View Post
Your setup looks very nice and I can see you matched up the fender liners to the new bumper. Very impressive, I only wish this was the same case as in mine, it would have saved me lots of money. Please do post pics of the rest of your setup, this is good information.
Thank you and yes I definitely will

Last edited by RomanEmpire; 05-07-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 PM
2003 530 5 speed

Mein Auto: 2003 530 5sp 53K Miles
Mike, go to this YouTube link for the Wheeler Dealers BMW 840 episode. Fast forward to about 3:15...to see how the crack is repaired.

Last edited by Johnny Canada; 05-08-2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: wrong link originally posted
Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 PM

thanks. I thought i was the only one who knows about this show. i have seen all the BMWs they worked on. the e39 depressed the hell out of me because of the price he got it and the price he sold it for...
Old 05-09-2012, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
Quote:
Vey good picure. i actualy noticed today that my driver side bottom liner is missing. so i might as well get the ones for the M bumper when i purchase one. does anyone know where to get them from. I am only looking for the piece with the 2 screws shown in Roman Empires pic.
Sources
I would shop around from the preferred/recommended vendors around here and see who has the best price. I personally have used getbmw parts for several orders and highly recommend them. Here is a list of some of the places you might check. The free shipping for orders over a certain amount from some vendors may also end up playing factor.
  • getbmwparts.com
  • ebmwparts
  • bmwmercedesparts
  • ECS
  • EAC
  • autohausaz
  • pelicanparts
  • thebmwpartstore

I am guessing discount BMW dealers like getbmwparts are going to have the best prices since these are genuine BMW parts. In case you are unaware how they work/what they are. Basically they are a BMW dealer that operates a mail order/internet parts business at discounted prices through the dealer's parts department. I think ebmw and bmwmercedes might also have that same model.

If you are a BMWCCA your local dealer may offer a 10% discount on parts, but often their parts mark up is so high it is still cheaper to order from one of those other sources even when you add in shipping.

You can try this comparison tool a member on bimmerforums made.
http://www.furiousmethod.com/

Tips
Unless I am misunderstanding you it sounds like you are going to order the M part. Keep in mind the price difference between the standard and Mtech/M5 fender liner is ridiculous. We are talking $15-$20 each for the standard part and $92+ each for Mtech/M5 part. Also if you are ordering it now and are going to try and run it with your current bumper so you will be all set when you get an M bumper I am not sure that will work. You will have to test fit the part. It may or may not fit as the standard bumper and belly pan are shaped differently so the M fender liners may interfere with the standard bumper and/or belly pan.

Just to give you a visual this is what the standard part (driver's) looks like. It is what Roman pictured. Part #s 51717008689 (left/drivers side) & 51717008690 (right/pass side) for cars produces after 9/200. This is how it would sit if you are facing the car I labeled the outside where it meets the side of the bumper. There is also a little slot on the bottom of the fender liner that interlocks with the standard belly pan.

Here is what the driver's side M5 part looks like. It has screw hole in the bottom to where it attaches to the underside of the M bumper. Notice its shape especially the bottom portion is different than the standard version.

Remember there are two versions of the M fender liners. It is because M5s shipped with fender liners (part #s 51-71-2-498-989 & 51-71-2-498-990) that lacked a cut out/hole to vent air to the brakes. The USA 2003 540i sports shipped with fender liners (part #s 51-71-2-694-899 & 51-71-2-694-832) that had a cut out/hole to vent air to the brakes. It is not a big deal it just depends on whether you want to have the brakes vented or not. I doubt in everyday driving the cooling make a big difference. Even for heavy duty track use it may not be that big of a deal, it is not like it is true racing set up with the direct venting to the discs. The 899/832 parts are the correct parts for all e39s I6 & V8. In any case here is a side by side comparison shot of the passenger side Mtech fender liner next to the passenger side M5 fender liner (the silver thing is a heat shield for the ambient temp sensor and is M5 specific you can ignore that).

BTW I also like Wheeller Dealers, but I have not seen it in a while. I'm not sure what channel it is on here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	e39_nonM_FL.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	324282   Click image for larger version

Name:	e39_M5_51712498989_3.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	324283   Click image for larger version

Name:	m5_blocked_liner_Ann.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	324284  

Last edited by Solo12; 05-09-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
So if I were to get the fender liners that originally came with my car (the cheap ones, non-mtech/non-m5), will they connect to the bottom of the bumper fine? Pics below:

Old 05-09-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentValve View Post
So if I were to get the fender liners that originally came with my car (the cheap ones, non-mtech/non-m5), will they connect to the bottom of the bumper fine?
I'm not sure if you are asking if they will attach to the bottom of an M bumper or if they attached to a non M bumper?

M bumper
The standard non M fender liners are not designed to attach to the bottom of the M bumper. They are shaped differently and lack the screw holes. You may be able to modify them to attach to the bottom of the M bumper though. It may be as simple as drilling a hole in the fender liner or maybe its more involved. I think Roman might be better able to clarify as it sounds like he has done it.

Non M bumper
I am 90% sure the standard fender liner does not screw into the bottom of the standard bumper. I think it just rests against against the bumper, but I don't remember. I know it interlocks (no screws) with the fender liner.

Pics
If it is helpful at all here is a pic of the underside of the bumper where you can kinda see the 4 attachments points (you put 4 body nuts there) that correspond with the 4 screw holes on the Mtech/M5 fender liners I highlighted in my other post. Ignore the other notes on the pic I had marked it up for something else.

Also here are two pics from Oscswa's build thread that he linked earlier. It gives you an idea of what the M fender liners and M belly pan look like with the M bumper from the front and a little from the underside. They are somewhat visible and sit lower than the bumper. Obviously the non M versions are not going to have the same look as they are shaped differently. That may or may not be an issue I am just putting it out there so people have all the info.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	e39_ducting_underside.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	324353   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_0406bumper0127.JPG
Views:	424
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	324354   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_0406bumper0123.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	324355  
Old 05-11-2012, 10:03 AM

i actualy never knew that that was the pan i thought it was the bottom part of the bumper. but now i see. anyone know how much one of those goes for or where i can get it? i am going to pick up an oem bumper tomorrow for 200 it has a 2 inch hairline crack, not like the other one i posted. i have looked on ebay for the pan, and no luck yet.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to King 5
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
The pan is about $200 and each inner fender well liner is $120

1997 BMW 528ia 2/97

2004 BMW 330ci 4/03

2008 BMW 335i 3/08
Old 05-11-2012, 01:58 PM

ya i think il just use my current one and zip tie it to the bumper.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
i actualy never knew that that was the pan i thought it was the bottom part of the bumper. but now i see. anyone know how much one of those goes for or where i can get it? i am going to pick up an oem bumper tomorrow for 200 it has a 2 inch hairline crack, not like the other one i posted. i have looked on ebay for the pan, and no luck yet.
Not sure if you are serious or not. If you are are see post #33. Also make friends with BMW fans and real OEM. They are very useful. You want part #9 part ending in 680. If you end up finding the part used the V8 belly pan is different and has a diff part number than the I6 version. Perhaps you could alter it to fit, but I would not pay a lot for one.

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3...A0695%C2%A0680

Quote:
Originally Posted by King 5 View Post
The pan is about $200 and each inner fender well liner is $120
Yes they are expensive, but you can save some money if you get them form better sources. getbmwparts.com has them for $140 and $93 for example.

Quote:
ya i think il just use my current one and zip tie it to the bumper.
Do a test fit before you get the bumper painted like Oscswa suggested. Then you can decide what/if there are any other pieces you want or what you will have to modify of your existing parts.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:25 PM

just got the bumper today. great condition. one crack where the molding goes but i can glue it... its under the molding so wont show. ^ is that 93 dollar one the I6 one? and is that shipped or more for that?
Old 05-13-2012, 05:21 PM

Not pleased by the quality of iPhone photos and uncomfortable/bad angle taking pictures from underneath on 4 legs. (I’ll post better ones next time she’s on a lift) but here are a few w/ my intake setup in mind. The weld is ghetto rigged I know but it’s the first time I welded and its aluminum…the flat bottom part of fender liner attaches to my homemade heat shield as well
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	intake 22.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	324902   Click image for larger version

Name:	intake 24.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	324903   Click image for larger version

Name:	intake 15.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	324905   Click image for larger version

Name:	intake 16.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	324906   Click image for larger version

Name:	intake 13.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	324907  

Name:	intake 14.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	324908   Click image for larger version

Name:	intake 23.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	324909  
Old 05-14-2012, 10:36 PM

Can someone give me a deep explanation of what needs to be done for the forgs for the M-tech? someone told me something about the connectors being diffrent and i realy didnt understand it. Also where i could get the connectors needed from.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Can someone give me a deep explanation of what needs to be done for the forgs for the M-tech? someone told me something about the connectors being diffrent and i realy didnt understand it. Also where i could get the connectors needed from.
Go to Oreily’s, autozone, pepboys, or whatever auto store and get the 9006 connectors as your originals will need to be changed/retrofit them in order to make your M-Tech/M5 bumper fog lights to function. Ill take photos tomorrow if you wish me to do so but I think it has been covered on here in the past
Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 AM

is this simple or will it require cutting wires and such?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:53 AM

And also what are the current connectors for my non M fogs?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 540i/6
I'm pretty sure you will have to do some splicing. It is not plug and play.

1998 BMW 540i/6 Sport...18" Staggered M Pars, Angel Eye Upgrade, Muffler/Resonator delete, iPod integration kit
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T SE...440 six pack, slap shift...blows away all e39s
Old 05-15-2012, 12:44 PM

well if i can figure ou the name of the current one i maybe able to get one thta is plug and play, for example they sell ones where the male is 9005/ and female head is 9006, so if the current one is 9005 im set.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
In this pic, the 9006 connector you buy from the parts store will look like the one on the right. Cut your current connector which will have a brown and a yel/red wire. The brown is ground. Splice the wires following the orientation in the pic.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
just got the bumper today. great condition. one crack where the molding goes but i can glue it... its under the molding so wont show. ^ is that 93 dollar one the I6 one? and is that shipped or more for that?
The $93 dollar part is for both I6 and V8 cars if you plug inthe part #s I gave you in bmwfans.com or realoem.com you can see which e39s they are for. The $93 price did not include shipping. I am not sure what the shipping rates are from getbmw parts or if they have any free shipping promotions, but you should be able to get the info from the website or through IM with the guys that work there. Also check out post #33 I listed some vendors as well as a search tool. I think there are some vendor that offer free shipping if you orer over a certain amount.

Also if it is helpful Oscswa gave you a link for a full parts list from and old thread of his for the conversion earlier int his thread. Here is a link to pg. 2 of that thread check out post #40 I updated some of the part number to reflect parts for a 528 instead of a V8 car. They should be the same for your car. But double check in bmwfans or real.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...+bumper&page=2

Quote:
Your current bulbs are H8 I am not sure if the connector is considered an H8 as well. You have two options. I am assuming you are going with the m5 style reflector fog lights not the aftermarket projector fog lights. I think the projectors use a diff connection not a 9006.
  1. Cut the existing wires and solder or crimp on a new 9006 connector.
  2. Or you can remove the existing plastic connectors

I went the second route as I did not want to cut my existing wiring. I was able remove the old contact by taking apart the plugs that were on the car. You’ll probably end up breaking the old plugs, but you only need the keep the contacts in tact (you don't need the old plastic plugs). The contacts will then just slide and lock into the new plugs. I removed the old plug by inserting two very tiny flat head screwdrivers from the front on either side of the contacts releasing the little lock tab, then pulling the wires out of the plug. If you look at the contacts and plugs you can see how the contact locks into the plugs and therefore how to remove them. You could also just cut/break the plastic plug to free the contact, just make sure you don't damage the contact.

For both options you can get the plugs and contacts from a BMW dealer (if you are cutting wires). Even if you buy them from your local dealer they should not be that expensive. The list for $2.50 each $2.85 each respectively.
Part #s
9006 plugs 61-13-8-364-498 (you will need 2)
Contacts if you are cutting the wires 61-13-0-007-272 (you will need 4). The contacts consist of a wire with prefabbed metal connector on it that lock into place into the 9006 plugs.

Here is what they look like

FYI
M5 reflector fogs

Aftermarket projector fogs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	e39_Plugs_contacts_copy.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	325185   Click image for larger version

Name:	e39_M5_fog_clear_17685_x600.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	325186   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_bumper_projector_fogs.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	325187  
Old 05-15-2012, 10:30 PM

^ thanks allot, i realy like option too. and thats what im going to do. tomorrow im going to repair the crack in the bumper and and get rid of the plate holes in the middle and delete the headlight washers. i will take pics if you guys want to see