Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 05-08-2012, 12:03 PM
That Guy

Mein Auto: 99' 540i M-Sport
Thumbs up Bachelor party in chicago and milwaukee ideas

My buddy lives up near Gurnee, IL and is having his bachelor in Chicago and Milwaukee June 16. Im the best man so I have most of the bill and deciding what to do. I already promised no strippers and no strip clubs. Plan is for me to drive my e30 out there thursday night. Friday the guys head downtown for the day. What are good attractions for 10 guys (25-30 years old) to do downthere to pass time? I heard of the nice museums there, I know the navy pier is on the list, but what else? And best hotel thats good on the pocket book?

On Saturday were headed to Milwaukee. And besides the Miller Brewing Plant what is there to do there? Best spot to stay there?

I'd do the googlin' but would rather here from the board for suggestions.

1985 335i
Black on Black coupe 5spd
R.I.P

1979 Trans Am 10th Anniversary
#16 of 5,683 made

KOI Import Parts-- 513-771-7777
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Don't go here:

Here of course, if the Cubbies are in town:

Art Institute of Chicago

Have fun!
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 05-08-2012, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: x
Are you holding bachelor party, or Chicago/Milwaukee 2-day tour?

If you want to stay "clean", how about hop across (drive around) the lake and head to Silver Lake Sand Dunes?

Jeep Wangler or ATV tour, water sports, jet ski, etc?

If you wanna get drunk, how about a Chicago Beer Experience tour?

Last edited by Griffoun; 05-08-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: A car
I would definitely take in a steak at the Weber Grill before getting too loud - that was one of the best steaks I've ever had!

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:57 PM

bummer - I was going to suggest the Reagle Beagle bar as a fun place - but I see it closed...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/reagle-beagle-chicago

Old 05-08-2012, 02:12 PM
In the heat

Mein Auto: '08 Chevy Trailblazer
The cubs are in town playing the Red Sox so if you guys are sports fans Wrigley or Wrigley rooftops may be in order.

There are too many great options for dining and drinking in Chicago. I could give some recommendations if I knew what kind of food you were looking for. Portillo's - hotdogs, Golden Nugget Pancake House - Breakfast, Sun-wah authentic chinese roast duck and pork, Molly's cupcakes - I recommend the Ron Bennington, Garretts - popcorn. Plenty of great steak places - Maybe you would see Dave Shula at Shulas steakhouse, he loved his time in Cincinnati, but I would not go there.

Cool to get a drink at the Hancock tower 96th floor bar, but this can be pretty pricey. Not really a place for a bunch of guys to drink all night.

You could go to the sears tower and take a picture of the groom in the glass room that is suspended outside the sears tower.

I alway like the museum of science and industry, they even have a mythbusters exhibit there now. http://www.msichicago.org/

I have used priceline successfully for places in Chicago, although I am not sure any of them are very easy on the pocketbook. I have gotten a few rooms on or near the magnificent mile for a little over $125, but it goes north of there pretty quickly.

As far as milwaukee goes, some great bars, the brewers are out of town, but I know there is a harley museum that is cool(if you like that kind of thing) and I think they still give tours at the harley factory (maybe just through the week). They also give tours at the Miller brewery monday through saturday with free samples at the end of the tour.

Last edited by Bombay Jay; 05-08-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman271 View Post
My buddy lives up near Gurnee, IL and is having his bachelor in Chicago and Milwaukee June 16. Im the best man so I have most of the bill and deciding what to do. I already promised no strippers and no strip clubs.....
Dude!! you are NOT the best man... on the contrary... you are the WORST MAN!!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:57 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post
Are you holding bachelor party, or Chicago/Milwaukee 2-day tour?

If you want to stay "clean", how about hop across (drive around) the lake and head to Silver Lake Sand Dunes?

Jeep Wangler or ATV tour, water sports, jet ski, etc?

If you wanna get drunk, how about a Chicago Beer Experience tour?
2 day tour.. one day and night in Chicago and the same for Milwaukee. The bachelorette party is doing Milwaukee first then Chicago so we won't run into each other. All I promised the bride to be was that I wouldn't go to a strip club or hire one. (I almost rented a midget stripper cause that only counts as half of one right? lol) But I do plan on when the sun goes down to bar hop.

1985 335i
R.I.P

#16 of 5,683 made

Old 05-08-2012, 03:09 PM
In the heat

Mein Auto: '08 Chevy Trailblazer
Maybe everyone needs to get a massage.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:10 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay Jay View Post
The cubs are in town playing the Red Sox so if you guys are sports fans Wrigley or Wrigley rooftops may be in order.

There are too many great options for dining and drinking in Chicago. I could give some recommendations if I knew what kind of food you were looking for. Portillo's - hotdogs, Golden Nugget Pancake House - Breakfast, Sun-wah authentic chinese roast duck and pork, Molly's cupcakes - I recommend the Ron Bennington, Garretts - popcorn. Plenty of great steak places - Maybe you would see Dave Shula at Shulas steakhouse, he loved his time in Cincinnati, but I would not go there.

Cool to get a drink at the Hancock tower 96th floor bar, but this can be pretty pricey. Not really a place for a bunch of guys to drink all night.

You could go to the sears tower and take a picture of the groom in the glass room that is suspended outside the sears tower.

I alway like the museum of science and industry, they even have a mythbusters exhibit there now. http://www.msichicago.org/

I have used priceline successfully for places in Chicago, although I am not sure any of them are very easy on the pocketbook. I have gotten a few rooms on or near the magnificent mile for a little over $125, but it goes north of there pretty quickly.

As far as milwaukee goes, some great bars, the brewers are out of town, but I know there is a harley museum that is cool(if you like that kind of thing) and I think they still give tours at the harley factory (maybe just through the week). They also give tours at the Miller brewery monday through saturday with free samples at the end of the tour.
Good idea's- And Portillo's is amazing.. I get the italian sausage sandwich everytime I get out that way.. Changed My Life Forever lol

1985 335i
R.I.P

#16 of 5,683 made

Old 05-08-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
2 day tour.. one day and night in Chicago and the same for Milwaukee. The bachelorette party is doing Milwaukee first then Chicago so we won't run into each other. All I promised the bride to be was that I wouldn't go to a strip club or hire one. (I almost rented a midget stripper cause that only counts as half of one right? lol) But I do plan on when the sun goes down to bar hop.
If it's a tour instead of party, and you *have* to stay in Chicago/Milwaukee area, then you can rent bicycles and ride along the lake, the Segway tour, or find oine of the Chicago River tour. There's really nothing to see and do for the 20ish men at Navy Pier, just Kodak moments.

Please don't tell me the groom has never been to Chicago downtown? It's "only" Gurnee...

Last edited by Griffoun; 05-08-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
1) Seriously now... Why would you make that promise??!!

2) Why called this a bachelor party??!! Why not call it what it is?? "Bunch of old friends riding bikes and touring 2 cities" ?

You are calling this Bachelor party much like Calling a Bacon Double cheezburger but order it "hold the cheese and Bacon and prepare it w/ Vegie Patty and ala "protein style" ??!!

I mean seriously.. WTH??!!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang View Post
1) Seriously now... Why would you make that promise??!!

2) Why called this a bachelor party??!! Why not call it what it is?? "Bunch of old friends riding bikes and touring 2 cities" ?

You are calling this Bachelor party much like Calling a Bacon Double cheezburger but order it "hold the cheese and Bacon and prepare it w/ Vegie Patty and ala "protein style" ??!!

I mean seriously.. WTH??!!
+1

One way to save the "party", go out in style and rent a Hummer limo. Or else you may as well have everybody hop on the Chicago tour bus and call it done.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:22 AM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post
If it's a tour instead of party, and you *have* to stay in Chicago/Milwaukee area, then you can rent bicycles and ride along the lake, the Segway tour, or find oine of the Chicago River tour. There's really nothing to see and do for the 20ish men at Navy Pier, just Kodak moments.

Please don't tell me the groom has never been to Chicago downtown? It's "only" Gurnee...
He's been to Chicago itself plenty. Im the one planning the festivities, and I've only been downtown once. He's put a few idea's out there but I kinda want to suprise him with a full days activities. Me and him have been to plenty of strip clubs, so I was honestly ok with none over that weekend. We'd rather have it memorable for fun activities not just ******* lol

1985 335i
R.I.P

#16 of 5,683 made

Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
I would definitely take in a steak at the Weber Grill before getting too loud - that was one of the best steaks I've ever had!
In my opinion, skip Weber Grill. Not because of quality or anything like that, but simply because it's a chain restaurant. Pick a place that's only in Chicago. If you want steak my recommendation is David Burke's. You can always go to Gibson's too, of course.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionsTrdr View Post
In my opinion, skip Weber Grill. Not because of quality or anything like that, but simply because it's a chain restaurant. Pick a place that's only in Chicago. If you want steak my recommendation is David Burke's. You can always go to Gibson's too, of course.
Well I am sure you should know better than me - your profile says you're from Chicago - so I think you might be better qualified than I am to recommend a place in your home town...

I'm obviously not from there, so I have a couple of thoughts...

First that thing about being a chain? Maybe for you folks who live in Illinois it's no big deal - it was a novelty to watch the grills that was part of the draw - but chain is almost a stretch imo - there are only 4 in this "chain" - 3 in Illinois, one in IN.

We also ate at Shula's and it was good - but we preferred Weber Grill - atmosphere at weber was much more relaxed - not so white-tablecloth and I thought the steak was BETTER at Weber in my opinion.

I would definitely try David Burke's or Gibson's myself - I was trying to recommend a fairly low-key place for a big bunch of guys - not having been to either of the 2 you recommend (yet- but we have a lot of reason to visit chicago, so I'm sure we'll be back and get round to them) - are either of those two places going to be able to accommodate such a large group well?

(I did notice that Gibson's also has an Oak Brook and Rosemont location.. I might have already been to the Rosemont one - the name rings a bell...)

Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
No offense to prior posters, but going to museums and riding bikes along the lake sounds more like the honeymoon than the bachelor party.

My vote: Go play golf or go to a cubs game, hang out in Wrigleyville, etc. Then go get ribs at Carsons. Then catch a show at Second City. Then go hit the bars.

I've stayed at the Drake, but that's probably a little spendy for a bachelor party. A few years ago I got a really good deal at the Omni, might check there.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
Well I am sure you should know better than me - your profile says you're from Chicago - so I think you might be better qualified than I am to recommend a place in your home town...

I'm obviously not from there, so I have a couple of thoughts...

First that thing about being a chain? Maybe for you folks who live in Illinois it's no big deal - it was a novelty to watch the grills that was part of the draw - but chain is almost a stretch imo - there are only 4 in this "chain" - 3 in Illinois, one in IN.

We also ate at Shula's and it was good - but we preferred Weber Grill - atmosphere at weber was much more relaxed - not so white-tablecloth and I thought the steak was BETTER at Weber in my opinion.

I would definitely try David Burke's or Gibson's myself - I was trying to recommend a fairly low-key place for a big bunch of guys - not having been to either of the 2 you recommend (yet- but we have a lot of reason to visit chicago, so I'm sure we'll be back and get round to them) - are either of those two places going to be able to accommodate such a large group well?

(I did notice that Gibson's also has an Oak Brook and Rosemont location.. I might have already been to the Rosemont one - the name rings a bell...)
Sorry I didn't mean to come off as snobby or as if I was calling you out. No harm meant, honestly. I have eaten at Weber Grill before and enjoyed it; I was not criticizing your taste in restaurants. I was just making the point that if you're in Chicago, especially since this is a special occasion, you may as well eat at a place that is only in Chicago. Although I didn't realize Weber had so few locations; I was under the impression it was national. Obviously I was wrong there.

David Burke's and Gibson's, while definitely higher tier steak joints, are much more relaxed than they may seem. Both great places to have a big group of people talking, eating, drinking, etc. Since it's only 10 guys a phone call a couple days before should be plenty of time to get a reservation.

Again, sorry if it felt like I was calling you out. I really didn't mean anything negative. When you make it back here to Gibson's get the turtle pie for dessert (this applies to you too, OP). It is one of the greatest things I have ever eaten.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionsTrdr View Post
Sorry I didn't mean to come off as snobby or as if I was calling you out. No harm meant, honestly.
no problem at all. I've only been to the Chicago area 4 times - so you're definitely going to know better than me - I'm just sharing my *limited* knowledge on places I have eaten there and enjoyed - and I wasn't trying to sound like an expert either - how could I be?!?