Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
eletrical damage caused by water!

Help! My 2011 X5 completely shorted out while I was driving. Dealer says its water damage and may not be covered by warranty! It was raining when it happen, and had rained heavy the night and morning prior. Please advise
Ads by Google
Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
The manufacturer has a duty to deliver a product that will perform within the markets they sell it, and under the conditions recommended in the Owners Manual...these are not just words, but rather very important for you to understand if the dealer takes a crappy stance.

If you drive through deep standing water- and I am guessing the owners manual advises against this- you will not be covered for damage (however, your car insurance SHOULD cover this). But heavy rain, highway and lcoal driving...even if this watter damages the car- BMW is responsible for delivering a car that cannot be damaged by these conditions.

Post back what they say, but early on you need to let them know your expectation is based on this implied warranty of merchantability. (ie cars are meant to be driven in the rain; I operated this car like all other car purchasers; BMW did not tell me 'don't operate this car in heavy rain'). Once they make a stupid decision you may have a battle on your hands.

GL

A

Last edited by ard; 05-08-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: Automobile
That's why they have windshield wipers - so that they can be driven in the rain. :0
Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5
I think there's more to the story than OP tells us. If a dealer spotted water damage, it probably translates to evidence of the car being flooded.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
I think there's more to the story than OP tells us. If a dealer spotted water damage, it probably translates to evidence of the car being flooded.
Then I don't know what the OP is trying to achieve by posting misleading information here..
Old 05-09-2012, 08:28 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
That is not a fair assumption. BMW has a long history of flooded electric components, often caused by clogged sunroof drains. The problem reached epidemic proportions in the E61 5 Series wagons.

If its not a clogged drain tube, it could also be that the OP or her children spilled something in the trunk. But that wouldn't tie in with the heavy rains.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic

Last edited by quackbury; 05-09-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
That is not a fair assumption. BMW has a long history of flooded electric components, often caused by clogged sunroof drains. The problem reached epidemic proportions in the E61 5 Series wagons.

If its not a clogged drain tube, it could also be that the OP or her children spilled something in the trunk. But that wouldn't tie in with the heavy rains.

Agreed. Apparently if you spill liquid or if liquid is found in the trunk of most BMW's then more than likely you will have electrical issues. I am not certain if this is true with the X5 but in the 5 series the battery is located in the trunk.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Currently all we have is a single post from (presumably) a woman who had a quick conversation with a BMW Service advisor when the car was dropped off..... SAs can be morons, can be motivated to say things for all kinds of reasons... heck, he may be tweaking her so he can look like a hero when he says "I was able to get it covered".
Old 05-09-2012, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post

I had this problem with my 2011 X5. It was covered under warranty. It took 3 days for BMW Assist to tow the car and another month to fix it though