Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Liverpudlian at heart

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Sedan
It may be worth noting that a vignette is a transparent or semi-transparent sticker with the adhesive side stuck to a piece of waxed paper, just like any other sticker. When you apply it to the windshield (in the per-country prescribed location) anyone outside the car sees the side previously stuck to the paper carrier. If you try to just tape the vignette as purchased to the windshield it will look backwards and not quite the right color or transparency.

Any temporary sticking to the windshield will have to have the sticky-side toward the windshield and the paper backing removed. Sticking it to a thin transparent film or sheet cut to size and that stuck to the windshield would be the only way. See pics of products earlier in this thread, or take a sheet of whatever thin clear transparent plastic you have and some super-clear tape which will not show a margin. Your problem with measures like this isn't when you are zooming past a checkpoint but when a traffic warden or other authority meanders past your car while it is parked. They can cite you for an improperly affixed vignette even if your car is parked on a country lane. Improperly affixing an official vignette is an offence separate to not having a vignette on a road it is required for.

Frank.

Last edited by FrankAZ; 05-08-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Laguna Seca Guy

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 2006 Cayman S
I was able to drive from Annecy to the Geneva Airport and dropoff location without going on the Autoroute and without a sticker. My recollection is that I crossed the border on a city street, and the guards did not require that I purchase one. I don't think they even stopped me. It was a rather slow route through Geneva on surface streets and I couldn't have done it without nav or GPS.

2011 M3 Cab (ED), 2011 X5 3.5, 2009 M3 (ED)*, 2006 330CiC ZHP*, 2006 X3*, 2007 335i (ED)*, 2006 330i (ED)*, 2003 540it M-Sport*, 2002 M3 SMG (ED) Roundel cover 7/03*, 2000 528it*, 2000 323it (ED)*, 1995 M3*, 1996 318ti (ED)*, 1988 M5*, 1969 2002*, 1970 2500*, 1973 2002*, 1964 1800*, 1969 2002*
*Gone but not forgotten
Old 06-19-2013, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: ED 9/2014 for 535i
Purchase Vignette

This is my first ED in September. I'm driving from the Welt to Salzburg then Venice. Flew days later coming up via Switzerland.

Can I get a Vignette on my way to Austria form the Welt?

Do I need just one Vignette for Switzerland, Austria? Or I need to purchase 2 different ones?

Thanks Guys, want to make sure I don't get a 120 E ticket.

Alex
Old 06-19-2013, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 650xi GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTRVT View Post

Do I need just one Vignette for Switzerland, Austria? Or I need to purchase 2 different ones?
I cannot speak for Switzerland (as I avoided it for fear of having to pay CHF 40 for their vignette), but you need a unique vignette for each country, as each country has their own type of vignette and payment structure. The Austrian vignette was cheap, EUR 9, for the shortest duration (10 days?).

I crossed over into Austria from Fussen using local roads (couldn't even tell I did) and pulled over at the first gas station to buy mine (most stores and gas stations will have them near the border on both sides). I strongly advise NOT driving on the Austrian Autobahnen or Schnellstrassen without a vignette. I traveled the A12/S16/A14 between Imst and Feldkirch (about 100 km) and came across no less than FIVE vignette checkpoints (most are two officers in the median - one looking through a telescope-looking device). I was actually waved to stop at the toll plaza for the Perjentunnel, and once the officer saw my vignette he thanked me and waved me on.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
For that remark, right now take two $20 bills out of your wallet and shred them. Its only $40.
Or buy me $40 of beer or chocolate.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 M3 using ED
Bought the vignette but just taped it on the windshield. I took it back home intact as a souvenir. I can auction it off. Do I hear a $10 ....... jk
Old 06-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTRVT View Post
We stopped at the ADAC office (like a AAA office) the day before our delivery, and picked up vignettes for Austria and Switzerland, as well as safety vests. You can also get them on your way to Austria, but getting them from Munich meant one less thing to worry about.

Since you're not doing ED until Sept, if you're really sweating this, you can pay a little more and get them online and have them delivered to you: http://www.tolltickets.com/country/a...spx?lang=en-GB
Old 06-19-2013, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram View Post
Bought the vignette but just taped it on the windshield. I took it back home intact as a souvenir. I can auction it off. Do I hear a $10 ....... jk
I got mine from someone here who managed to peel it off in perfect condition. I think I paid half price so 10 bucks is a steal.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:53 PM

Vignette

Thanks you guys for the information. I will send VELERAM a pm for the one he has, or I will take your advice ALEE for getting them a head of time. My delivery is not till 5:10 PM and the wife wants to get to Salzburg that evening. Not sure I want to worry about purchasing Vignette's that late in the evening.

Thanks again for the great info

Alex
Old 06-19-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i Driver View Post
I got mine from someone here who managed to peel it off in perfect condition. I think I paid half price so 10 bucks is a steal.
Thanks 335i Driver. I will try to do the same.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325iT - Sienna Rot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mason View Post
To the letter of the law - Yes, you need vignette to use any expressway. But what is the chance you would be caught without one for an exit or 2? Might not be high. It is your judgement to risk it or not.
No experience with Switzerland (until later this summer anyway) but in Austria, they frequently have Polizei stationed at the "border crossings" frequented by tourists and vacationers - Salzburg for example - targeting both the unsuspecting as well as the hopeful "poachers". In Austria, the fine is 120€, paid on the spot.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 35is
Both were easy in my experience. I only drove my car for about 2.5 hours in Switzerland until I dropped it off but I figured why risk the headache.

Germany -> Austria stopped at a gas station near the boarder as soon as the attendant heard my accent he asked if I needed a Vignette. It was 8-9 euro for 10 days.

Italy -> Switzerland crossed near Lake Como, there was a mini mart kind of place right at the boarder crossing just bought it there and stuck it on.

I do agree with what someone said a while back. While I drove way more in Italy I also paid way more. There is no Vignette but every major road has toll stops on it. 6 Euro, 2.1 Euro, 8 Euro etc. pretty soon you've spent 50+ Euro to drive a couple of hours.

I would much rather buy the pass and go then to have to dig some odd amount of change out of my pocket with 5 impatient Italians bearing down on the back of my new car. Besides the obvious heavy fines if you get caught with no Vignette.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee View Post
We stopped at the ADAC office (like a AAA office) the day before our delivery, and picked up vignettes for Austria and Switzerland, as well as safety vests.
Save a few dollars (Euro) and buy your vest(s) from Ikea. I paid $4 for mine, and I saw them on sale in Europe for at least EUR 10 each. They don't take up a lot of room in your luggage, and it's cheap enough that you don't feel guilty throwing it away before you head home. Another great piece of advice I found on this great forum.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Several years ago, I was told by the police that taping is forbidden and there was a fine for doing so but then let me go without checking to see that I put on the sticker his way.

About the green German environmental sticker, would you keep it on? Oddity versus bragging versus laziness are factors in my mind. If bragging, it is far more subtle than those who mount a European plate under their US plate.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexvectigal View Post
Save a few dollars (Euro) and buy your vest(s) from Ikea. I paid $4 for mine, and I saw them on sale in Europe for at least EUR 10 each. They don't take up a lot of room in your luggage, and it's cheap enough that you don't feel guilty throwing it away before you head home. Another great piece of advice I found on this great forum.
Why buy it? I asked for them when I was doing the paper work at Welt and I got three of them with BMW logo......for free.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
Since they gave you just a few gallons of gas at the Welt, why not just buy an Austrian vignette at the gas station when you top off on your way South? After the free bottle of Welt Wasser I needed the John as well. Of all the strange and mysterious things you'll encounter on European Delivery, getting the vignette is the least of your worries. Almost any decent sized gas station with a quickie mart attached will sell them.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red)
2013 MINI Cooper Coupe (red)
2011 Ford Fiesta (grey)
Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: cars & bikes
Go via France, take local roads in Switzerland, pay $40. Is this really worth having a conversation about? If its an issue of money, one does have to wonder about spending priorities.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
This past May I drove from northern Italy through Martigny, had lunch in Montreux, passed through Lausanne, and then headed into France without purchasing the vignette.

I was even held up by a log-dragging parade (where cops were looking right at me), and nothing my happened.

My whole attitude about it was if I got caught, then I'd just pay...but why proactively pay since I was just driving through CH? Of course, I am a bit of a rebel...

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 06-26-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khlay View Post
Why buy it? I asked for them when I was doing the paper work at Welt and I got three of them with BMW logo......for free.

Not for the money spent, but for a lost opportunity for a souvenir.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: 08 X5 3.0
Is a vignette necessary for quick entry into Switzerland?

I got caught at the Austrian border line for not having Vignette. They told me the fine was €120, so the officer swiped my credit card. The charge has never appeared for 10 days as of now in my credit card, while all other charges to the card have shown up. I am just hoping that I get away for free.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-27-2013, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Re: Is a vignette necessary for quick entry into Switzerland?

The vignette is on a time basis, eg 1 day, 1 week, 1 month.... The one day is literally 8 euro tops, yes the fine for not getting it is much more... Or just stay off the autobahnn/strada. The only place in Europe I've had to stop at the border was Italy. Not quite sure why you're being stopped in sweiss

Sent from my LT18i using BimmerApp mobile app

www.bmwpassion.simplesite.com
Old 06-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Liverpudlian at heart

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30jojo View Post
The vignette is on a time basis, eg 1 day, 1 week, 1 month.... The one day is literally 8 euro tops, yes the fine for not getting it is much more... Or just stay off the autobahnn/strada. The only place in Europe I've had to stop at the border was Italy. Not quite sure why you're being stopped in sweiss

That is true for Austria and some if not most other countries with vignettes. HOWEVER, Switzerland only provides for a 1 year annual vignette so it is CHF 40 or nothing.

Frank.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAZ View Post
. HOWEVER, Switzerland only provides for a 1 year annual vignette so it is CHF 40 or nothing.

Frank.
Maybe it can be carefully applied, like sticking it on your pant legs to get some lint, then maybe bending a corner? Then share the cost with a fellow bimmerfester. That could cut the cost in half if shared. If used 4 times for a year, then it's about $10-15 cost for each person.

Slightly different question: Should you keep it on the car afterwards? It could be a souvenir but could also be seen as bragging. Would you take it off your car or leave it? The same goes for the green German environmental sticker or Austrian vignette.

Last edited by Dave 20T; 06-27-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30jojo View Post

We didn't get stopped but crossing into Switzerland from Italy near Como there is a defined check-point with cops looking people and their cars over. They do pull people over for further inspections. Maybe 1 out of 5.