Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-07-2012, 04:58 AM
First_///M_'95 First_///M_'95 is offline
Registered User
Location: Tooele, Utah
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 1995 m3 (e36)
Exclamation New to the fourm new to my M3

Whaddup all!?!?!
So just made this fourm tonight and im hopeing to get alot from it...Help wise. See I bought my dream car not to long ago probly a month already, But I got a 1995 m3 (e36). Ive always wanted to have a m3, honestly since i first played Need for speed lol!!
I love my car its my baby and i want to do everything for her ha, call it an obsession but im in love with this car and I want to do alot to her for her to make her better! haha Nahh but on a serious note, I bought her used with 250k miles on her so you can kind of imagine whats needed main thing is ive been wanting to do a complete engine rebuild and upgrade to it but i have no idea where to start. haha like i said its my first m3 and my first car, im not car stupid but i just dont know what to start working on first ha. I took it to a BMW dealership to run a Dyno, and the total cost for them to fix was around 6k. HAHA! ya not doin that, plus they also broke my passenger window and now it roll down, it used to just fine ha. and they want me to pay another 112 to do another dyno for that cause they claim it's not them.....

Anyways, i really need help with this and i would appreciate any suggestions, tips, guides, whatever you guys got itss be a good start haha. If i can do anything to help give you guys more information or anything like let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1566.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	323987  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 05-07-2012, 08:34 PM
fun2drive's Avatar
fun2drive fun2drive is offline
BMWCCA 149159
Location: Panhandle of Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,634
Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
It is considerably cheaper to buy a lower mileage M3 engine for around 1500 bucks and drop it in and part out the old engine.
By the way what makes you think the engine is down on power? You never posted the dyno numbers so we should start there.
You can expect 15% loss on the engine to the rear wheels so 200 hp is about normal at the rear wheels.
Nothing special about rebuilding this engine. My top was fine at 274K miles so I would leave the head alone and look at the VANOS rebuild using Beisan which is a company that has replacement VANOS or just the seal and the O ring.
Lower end is pretty normal and the key there is to be sure that the oil pump is good and the pick up tube from the oil pump to the strainer is good as well.
Waiting on more information...

Last edited by fun2drive; 05-07-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Mattatouie Mattatouie is offline
Registered User
Location: Wyoming
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 05 dodge/93 318is
I also have a 95 M3, it has about 144k on the miles and my plan is to run it this summer and do a rebuild next summer and supercharge it. I've been browsing around on the Dinan website and have a bunch of stuff lined up for it after sorting out some titling issues. I hope to have 450-500 hp when I'm done but I'd be happy with it if it's more than 400.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 PM
First_///M_'95 First_///M_'95 is offline
Registered User
Location: Tooele, Utah
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 1995 m3 (e36)
More power

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
It is considerably cheaper to buy a lower mileage M3 engine for around 1500 bucks and drop it in and part out the old engine.
By the way what makes you think the engine is down on power? You never posted the dyno numbers so we should start there.
You can expect 15% loss on the engine to the rear wheels so 200 hp is about normal at the rear wheels.
Nothing special about rebuilding this engine. My top was fine at 274K miles so I would leave the head alone and look at the VANOS rebuild using Beisan which is a company that has replacement VANOS or just the seal and the O ring.
Lower end is pretty normal and the key there is to be sure that the oil pump is good and the pick up tube from the oil pump to the strainer is good as well.
Waiting on more information...
Ya that's true that's kind of what i was lookin at, its about 4500 for a new engine when i went and talked to bmw, thats if i go to a diffrent shop. Its around 6500 if they do it, but thinking about it and talking to people that i know. I know it would be alot cheaper if i do it by my self. So thats what im probably going to do, and nahhh haha the engine is still running good, not down on power or anything i just want more from it, i know this m3 i have you can do alot to it performance wise and thats the road i want to take. So the reason why i said rebuild is because it has 250k miles on it, thats the most me or anyone i know seen on a car lol, but yours had 274k?!?!

So what do you think i should to to tune her up for perfomance?? should i rebuild my engine and go from there? OR should i keep this engine and just by a new block and start from there????

~Idead/Tips/ANYTHING HELPS~

Last edited by First_///M_'95; 05-08-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-08-2012, 12:09 PM
First_///M_'95 First_///M_'95 is offline
Registered User
Location: Tooele, Utah
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 1995 m3 (e36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattatouie View Post
I also have a 95 M3, it has about 144k on the miles and my plan is to run it this summer and do a rebuild next summer and supercharge it. I've been browsing around on the Dinan website and have a bunch of stuff lined up for it after sorting out some titling issues. I hope to have 450-500 hp when I'm done but I'd be happy with it if it's more than 400.
Ya that be good to be pushin that much, but idk if i want to supercharge mine haha, i want mine to be pushin that much i just dont know the best road to take to get started on it lol I want to replace everything in the engine with sports performance gear of course have a turbo, maybe even a twin turbo. lol i just need direction, where to get parts, what to take apart first, what's the best gear that i need haha..

But all in all, I LOVE MY M3
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 AM
X3-terrestrial's Avatar
X3-terrestrial X3-terrestrial is offline
Aficionado
Location: N.Miss - Memphis,TN Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,632
Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by First_///M_'95 View Post
Ya that's true that's kind of what i was lookin at, its about 4500 for a new engine when i went and talked to bmw, thats if i go to a diffrent shop. Its around 6500 if they do it, but thinking about it and talking to people that i know. I know it would be alot cheaper if i do it by my self. So thats what im probably going to do, and nahhh haha the engine is still running good, not down on power or anything i just want more from it, i know this m3 i have you can do alot to it performance wise and thats the road i want to take. So the reason why i said rebuild is because it has 250k miles on it, thats the most me or anyone i know seen on a car lol, but yours had 274k?!?!

So what do you think i should to to tune her up for perfomance?? should i rebuild my engine and go from there? OR should i keep this engine and just by a new block and start from there????

~Idead/Tips/ANYTHING HELPS~
Why you want to rebuild an engine that is running fine??? That's not going to make it faster!

Put a chip, injectors, headers, exhaust, and start searching online. What is your budget?
__________________
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
-Mario Andretti.

___________________
River City Bimmers BMW CCA
2005 X3 3.0i ZPP, Htd seats, Htd strng, Black Sapphire on Terracotta.
1995 ///M3 Coupe, Lux, MT, Htd seats, Cosmos Black on Black.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Pinecone's Avatar
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
M Mad
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,480
Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
A 95 has the advantage of being OBD 1, which means the bolt on give you a substantial power boost (CAI, high flow mass air meter, high flow injectors, chip, headers). On the 96 and alter cars (OBD II) you need to change the cams to get a substantial boost.

By doing it all (cams included) you can get around 60 - 70 HP boost.
__________________
Terry Carraway

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Mattatouie Mattatouie is offline
Registered User
Location: Wyoming
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 05 dodge/93 318is
I assumed it would be a good idea to rebuild it since I plan to force air into it... Bad idea? Completely unnecessary? What kind of hp could be expected out of doing the stuff you recommended?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms