Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-24-2012, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
AC Schnitzer springs

The AC Schnitzer springs for my 2011 F10 535i have arrived and I am looking for a reputable installer in CT, NY or NJ.
Any recommendations?
Ads by Google
Old 04-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by marius View Post
The AC Schnitzer springs for my 2011 F10 535i have arrived and I am looking for a reputable installer in CT, NY or NJ.
Any recommendations?
Can't help but where did you buy? Good for DHP cars?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-24-2012, 04:35 PM

I got the springs from CEC. AS per CEC the springs are tested and approved now for F10 535i with and without Adoptive Drive.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Quote:
I got the springs from CEC. AS per CEC the springs are tested and approved now for F10 535i with and without Adoptive Drive.
Please post reviews after they are installed. I will order for my 535i in couple of weeks.

What made you decide to go with ACS vs. Dinan, RD or Eibach?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonx View Post
Please post reviews after they are installed. I will order for my 535i in couple of weeks.

What made you decide to go with ACS vs. Dinan, RD or Eibach?
Besides the fact that they are none from Dinan?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-08-2012, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Ressurecting the thread any opnions on AC, HR?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
Ressurecting the thread any opnions on AC, HR?

From what I've read, H&R gives the lowest drop, but harsher ride compared to ACS.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
From what I've read, H&R gives the lowest drop, but harsher ride compared to ACS.
I am not looking for crazy lowering . ..just need add little extra sporty drive with out sacrificing much of comfort any recommendations

Last edited by DreamCar; 05-08-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:29 PM

Based on what I read, ACS is the way to go. ACS only lowers by 1 inch and it is designed to work with stock shocks including EDC.

I will give more detailed review when I get my ACS springs in 2 weeks.

Last edited by bodonx; 05-08-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:44 PM

I got ACS springs installed on my F10 535i with Adoptive Drive at Turner Motorsport yesterday. See the attached before and after picks. The drop is as advertised at approx. 25 mm and for some the difference may not be even noticeable. Marco, Service Manager at Turner (978-388-9595) was quite concerned if the exercise was worth the trouble and expense when he told me that the mechanic who worked on the car could not see much drop after the new springs were installed. Turner has a lot of experience with H&R springs that lower the car by approx. additional 15 mm.

There is a big difference in how the car handles now. It feels how a stock car at minimum, in my opinion should feel from the very beginning; well planted on the road with much less nose dive when braking. The ride is very comfortable with less body roll than before. Installing ACS springs doesn’t turn the car into a street racer, but corrects to a high degree issues many of us were complaining about at this forum. There is also noticeable improvement in the steering weigh especially at higher speeds with Sport/Sport + engaged and in general the car feels much firmer and more responsive. The steering wheel numbness at 12 o’clock position is still there but somehow it feels closer to acceptable level. I drove 200 miles on a highway yesterday and for the first time after driving the car for a year already, I was quite comfortable using Normal position of Adoptive Drive switch. I used to drive in Sport+ mode on dry surfaces and in Sport when it was snowing or raining. With stock springs I never drove in Normal mode. The suspension feels good in Normal now, however engine response and acceleration is not what I would expect from 535i. I will have the recently released software installed at BMW Service Center on Monday/Tuesday next week and hope this will correct not only engine response/acceleration issues when driving in Normal mode but also will further improve steering wheel feel. This is my third 535i and the F10, and I have to say, is not a driver's car when compared to the E60 with sport suspension I used to drive.
I am keeping my fingers crossed, hopefully now with ACS springs and after software update scheduled for next week I will finally start enjoying driving the F10.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf F10 535i ACS Spring Conversion.pdf (177.4 KB, 348 views)
Old 05-11-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I got ACS springs installed on my F10 535i with Adoptive Drive at Turner Motorsport yesterday. See the attached before and after picks. The drop is as advertised at approx. 25 mm and for some the difference may not be even noticeable. Marco, Service Manager at Turner (978-388-9595) was quite concerned if the exercise was worth the trouble and expense when he told me that the mechanic who worked on the car could not see much drop after the new springs were installed. Turner has a lot of experience with H&R springs that lower the car by approx. additional 15 mm.

There is a big difference in how the car handles now. It feels how a stock car at minimum, in my opinion should feel from the very beginning; well planted on the road with much less nose dive when braking. The ride is very comfortable with less body roll than before. Installing ACS springs doesn’t turn the car into a street racer, but corrects to a high degree issues many of us were complaining about at this forum. There is also noticeable improvement in the steering weigh especially at higher speeds with Sport/Sport + engaged and in general the car feels much firmer and more responsive. The steering wheel numbness at 12 o’clock position is still there but somehow it feels closer to acceptable level. I drove 200 miles on a highway yesterday and for the first time after driving the car for a year already, I was quite comfortable using Normal position of Adoptive Drive switch. I used to drive in Sport+ mode on dry surfaces and in Sport when it was snowing or raining. With stock springs I never drove in Normal mode. The suspension feels good in Normal now, however engine response and acceleration is not what I would expect from 535i. I will have the recently released software installed at BMW Service Center on Monday/Tuesday next week and hope this will correct not only engine response/acceleration issues when driving in Normal mode but also will further improve steering wheel feel. This is my third 535i and the F10, and I have to say, is not a driver's car when compared to the E60 with sport suspension I used to drive.
I am keeping my fingers crossed, hopefully now with ACS springs and after software update scheduled for next week I will finally start enjoying driving the F10.
Thanks for the review. Another positive review of ACS, I cannot wait for mine to arrive.

Get the software update, you will like the steering weight difference. I like my steering now. No numbness in the center.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the review. Another positive review of ACS, I cannot wait for mine to arrive.

Get the software update, you will like the steering weight difference. I like my steering now. No numbness in the center.
Bondox did you get these installed? Planning to lower my car soon.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
So far there hasn't been one negative review for the F10 ACS springs which is why i have a set at home waiting for my car to arrive.

H&R drops the car more so it looks better but the ride is bouncy from what a few members posted and few even made the switch from H&R to ACS afterwards. I could see that happening because once you lower the car pass a certain point your shocks are no longer optimized for it to do its job. I've had Eibach and H&R springs in the past and all of them felt pretty good right after you install it but after a few months the ride becomes harsher and harsher and I def. notice more high speed bounce over dips. Not something i want to deal with in my F10 for sure.

Alan
Old 06-15-2012, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2011 535xi
Is there a link to purchase the ACS Springs?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:09 AM

www.cecwheels.com is your only option for ACS springs. Should be about $460 or 480 shipped for a 535
Old 06-15-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
www.cecwheels.com is your only option for ACS springs. Should be about $460 or 480 shipped for a 535
Any idea how much it will run install them?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:37 AM

Seems like on average shops are charging people more money to install on the F10 for some unknown reason ($500)

In the past i've gotten springs installed on my 3 series for around 2-250 tops so not sure why there is a premium for the F10

Alan
Old 06-15-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
Seems like on average shops are charging people more money to install on the F10 for some unknown reason ($500)

In the past i've gotten springs installed on my 3 series for around 2-250 tops so not sure why there is a premium for the F10

Alan
i was reading the old threads it seems installling the rear springs seems to be tricky/difficult and hence teh price not sure why is it so.

Are you in NJ? If so did you find any good shop
Old 06-15-2012, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i
I did mine myself in my garage, was time consuming but not difficult. Rears were easier than the fronts. I'm not sure about the xdrive cars though...
Old 06-15-2012, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
This may be exactly what I'm looking for. Where can I find them?

Thanks
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 06-15-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
This may be exactly what I'm looking for. Where can I find them?

Thanks
cecwheels is the authorized distributor for ACS in the US.

You need to find a local installer who knows BMW especially F10. The installation ranges from $250-600.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:12 PM

After driving almost 2k miles, I can tell upgrading to ACS springs was a very good decision. When driving stock car I could only think how irresponsible of me was getting the new 535i trusting that it will be better (better handling not only better looking) than the previous ones.
What is interesting, it takes much longer than I anticipated for the new spring to settle. Consider 1K miles. The rear settles quickly. The front drops down further then the rear and settles with the same gap between the tire and the fender as the rear. Additionally by changing springs driver’s position gets better. Lack of independent horizontal and vertical adjustment of driver’s seat is no longer an issue. Now I can seat comfortably with legs down and proper blood circulation in my legs. No nose dive, and handling at high speeds in curves is very similar to E60 with factory installed sport suspension. If I only had those side bolsters….

With ACS springs and software upgrade the car feels good now. Installation was $520.00 in my case.

Interesting additional side effect of software upgrade on my car; I had to wait approx. 3-4 seconds before I could lock the car with fob. No delay now. The steering wheel weight when in Sport or Sport + at higher speed feels adequate. At lower speeds it is still too light for me. Steering wheel response should be quicker, but I can live with they way it is now. No numbness at the center.

Next issue to solve… RFTs, in 11 months I had 4 tires replaced and have new bubbles already. I have BMW insurance, but if this is the only way to handle those issues, next time instead of getting the new 535i again I may be getting an insurance from getting tempted...
Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i
ACS spring

Resurrecting the post- after reading all the positive reviews I've decided to go with ACS. But have a few questions for fellow members: 1) is an alignment needed after the new springs are settled for a while? 2) anyone heard of any long-term issues with the premature dampers failure using aftermarket springs? I assume any issues arise will not be cover by BMW. 3) Does the install produce any error codes; I've heard that the rear seats need to come off in order for them to get to the rear springs.

Thanks for your comments.
BMW CCA member. 2012 550i M Sports, Carbon Black/Cinnamon Brown leather/Aluminum Hexagon trim/ZLS. Dinan springs, Xpel paint protect film, Llumar tint. Retired: 2009 535i, 2006 530i, 2003 X5, 1998 318i
Old 07-22-2012, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcandmm View Post
Resurrecting the post- after reading all the positive reviews I've decided to go with ACS. But have a few questions for fellow members: 1) is an alignment needed after the new springs are settled for a while? 2) anyone heard of any long-term issues with the premature dampers failure using aftermarket springs? I assume any issues arise will not be cover by BMW. 3) Does the install produce any error codes; I've heard that the rear seats need to come off in order for them to get to the rear springs.

Thanks for your comments.
No, no, and no. I did an alignment because my steering wheel was off center, but with this small a drop it's really not needed...

I did not need to take the rear seats out, but did need to remove the rear speakers for access to the strut tower bolts.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Quote:
After driving almost 2k miles, I can tell upgrading to ACS springs was a very good decision. When driving stock car I could only think how irresponsible of me was getting the new 535i trusting that it will be better (better handling not only better looking) than the previous ones.
What is interesting, it takes much longer than I anticipated for the new spring to settle. Consider 1K miles. The rear settles quickly. The front drops down further then the rear and settles with the same gap between the tire and the fender as the rear. Additionally by changing springs driver’s position gets better. Lack of independent horizontal and vertical adjustment of driver’s seat is no longer an issue. Now I can seat comfortably with legs down and proper blood circulation in my legs. No nose dive, and handling at high speeds in curves is very similar to E60 with factory installed sport suspension. If I only had those side bolsters….

With ACS springs and software upgrade the car feels good now. Installation was $520.00 in my case.

Interesting additional side effect of software upgrade on my car; I had to wait approx. 3-4 seconds before I could lock the car with fob. No delay now. The steering wheel weight when in Sport or Sport + at higher speed feels adequate. At lower speeds it is still too light for me. Steering wheel response should be quicker, but I can live with they way it is now. No numbness at the center.

Next issue to solve… RFTs, in 11 months I had 4 tires replaced and have new bubbles already. I have BMW insurance, but if this is the only way to handle those issues, next time instead of getting the new 535i again I may be getting an insurance from getting tempted...
The best solution to your problem with the runflat tires is to replace them with conventional tires. I did that and I have zero problems--and I drive on the potholed streets and highways of Manhattan
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver