Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Scooter
I haven't visited this forum for a while so it was appalling to read some of the comments on this thread. People accuse the OP of being a troll because he posted something they don't like

0-60 in 3.7s is definitely possible for a 420HP AWD car with launch control. It is very well-documented that the 4000 lbs Nissan GT-R with 485HP runs 0-60 in 3 seconds, as fast as 638HP Corvette ZR1. That's the beauty of all wheel drive.

(The Vette does have faster 1/4 mile time and trap speed. This is where AWD loses its advantage).

Remember guys, competition is good for consumers. Hopefully, this will force BMW to up the ante with the next refresh.

'11 e92 M3 DCT Le Mans Blue - Stock for now

'07 DINAN 550i Silver Gray/M-Tech/Sport/Premium/ NAV/ Logic7/ Quaife LSD/KW v2 Coilover - Daily Driver

'08 X5 3.0si Monaco Blue/Sport/Premium/Tech/Logic7 - Wife
Old 05-11-2012, 01:30 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
The thing with Audis 4.0T engine is that it also can be tuned to 520hp. It is entirely possible they use the S8 version of the engine for the journalist model.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 05-11-2012, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
That was pretty much 1 test, from Motor Trend (it was 4.8).

Almost all others have been 5.1 to 5.3 seconds.
Seeing as how you called me out over 1/10th of a second, I guess I'll return the favor and tell you that it was 4.7.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Google dyno numbers for the N54,N55 and N63 and you find that the N54 gives about 330 hp ,the N55 about 320hp and the N63 close to 450hp at the crank with 15% drive train losses. Turbo engines are also notoriously uneven, some gives way more power than others of the same type.

The stock Audi S4 has been dyno'd to 330rwhp which with awd should put it over 400 hp. The new A6 3.0T at close to 300 rwhp or 350 plus at the crank. I doubt the new S6 will deviate from this pattern. It's likely underrated as well.
I suspect that the V8 in the S6 is the same as the one in the S8.

BMW CCA Member
Old 05-11-2012, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
The thing with Audis 4.0T engine is that it also can be tuned to 520hp. It is entirely possible they use the S8 version of the engine for the journalist model.
So we're accusing Audi for providing ringers to the press now?
Old 05-11-2012, 07:50 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Yes absolutely. I find it surprising you don't believe that. The variance in testing times on the A6 V6 model is very striking. It raises questions.

But honestly, I don't want to talk about Audis with you. You are generally a great forum member, but when it comes to discussing Audis with you, you have a blindspot in your Johari's window.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 05-11-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Yes absolutely. I find it surprising you don't believe that. The variance in testing times on the A6 V6 model is very striking. It raises questions.
I guess when it's an Audi, it's all wrong and the manufacturer must be cheating. But if it's BMW, it's not, am I right? The variance has been discussed at great lengths over on Vortex and it was all down to tires and transmission. The 8 speed adapts to your driving style. Drive it harder, you get quicker shift times. In the S6's case, the DCT has a launch control sequence.

I can't wait for the S6 to hit US shores, so mags can test a US spec version of the car.

Quote:

But honestly, I don't want to talk about Audis with you. You are generally a great forum member, but when it comes to discussing Audis with you, you have a blindspot in your Johari's window.
Fair enough. I could say the same thing about Lexus to you, but that's a whole another argument.

And this last statement isn't directed at you Stealth. (I find your posts super informative and interesting)

People here love to turn a blind eye to the competition, no matter how good it is. Audi (and Lexus) finally have a solid contender in this segment and all the BMW fanboys are doing is trashing them, when they know full well, that the 5 series isn't the benchmark it used to be. If anything, it went from being the best to the back of the pack with the E Class, in terms of driving pleasure.

And the whole "5/E sells more argument" is complete ****. Just because McDonalds sell more than Five Guys doesn't mean its better.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 05-11-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:35 PM
The Driver

If I had a hidden agenda, I would encourage everyone here to buy Audi and Lexus models, because they are cheaper.

Lower price OEMs gaining share is good for everyone.

2014 ///M5 Individual

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 05-11-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Just because you like anything with a roundel doesn't mean there can't be criticism for the brand...

I'm just not blindly enamored by the F10 like you are. BMW has gone from making the best car in its segment (E60) to possibly one of the worst. Lexus and Audi are all over BMW in this segment now (I can't believe I just put Lexus in the previous statement )
Well said. Agree fully.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
People here love to turn a blind eye to the competition, no matter how good it is. Audi (and Lexus) finally have a solid contender in this segment and all the BMW fanboys are doing is trashing them, when they know full well, that the 5 series isn't the benchmark it used to be. If anything, it went from being the best to the back of the pack with the E Class, in terms of driving pleasure.
You nailed it. I couldn't have said it better myself

'07 DINAN 550i Silver Gray/M-Tech/Sport/Premium/ NAV/ Logic7/ Quaife LSD/KW v2 Coilover - Daily Driver

Old 05-12-2012, 02:47 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
I have posted this in the past (with links), where one of the major car mag's questioned the significant performance differences between two A6's they had tested. They claimed the first "press release" car shifted harder and accelerated faster, but Audi reps claimed there was nothing wrong with the first car. This is why I pretty much ignore the European boondoggle first tests and even the US first tests of performance cars, since all of these cars are provided by the manufacturers. I put more faith in the follow-up comparison tests where the cars are not supplied by the manufacturer, or better yet owner dragstrip results, providing they mention any trickery or enhancements employed. BTW, I apply this skeptism to all brands.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 05-12-2012, 03:00 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
See above.

AutoUnion, you've got to admit that as your username suggests, you are the biggest Audi fan that hangs out in the F10 forum. I get it you like Audi, and apparently Lexus too, but what are you trying to prove? Half of you posts would be better placed in an Audi forum. Do you feel you need to put the F10 guys in there place? Do you have something you need to prove to F10 owners? This Bimmerfest forum is focused on the F10, not Audi or Lexus. Of course F10 owners are getting annoyed by your Audi-centric posts. Half your threads here end up in name calling on from both sides of the brand camps. Why not buy an A/S6 and hang out over in AudiWorld? That's what I did when I owned my A6.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 05-12-2012, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen68 View Post

Remember guys, competition is good for consumers. Hopefully, this will force BMW to up the ante with the next refresh.
Have they ever upgraded power for a refresh? I could see them offering a power kit, but just free HP because Audi eventually passed them .

Quote:
I'd have been far more impressed if this car was offered side-by-side the 550 launch, but it wasn't. This came after Audi saw the competition, and might have bested it (until we see officially), with launch control. It's a step forward as with most cars that come years after another, and maybe it's a gotcha! moment for Audi, but I'll never view it as such.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 05-12-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
See above.

AutoUnion, you've got to admit that as your username suggests, you are the biggest Audi fan that hangs out in the F10 forum. I get it you like Audi, and apparently Lexus too, but what are you trying to prove? Half of you posts would be better placed in an Audi forum. Do you feel you need to put the F10 guys in there place? Do you have something you need to prove to F10 owners? This Bimmerfest forum is focused on the F10, not Audi or Lexus. Of course F10 owners are getting annoyed by your Audi-centric posts. Half your threads here end up in name calling on from both sides of the brand camps. Why not buy an A/S6 and hang out over in AudiWorld? That's what I did when I owned my A6.
You put it so right, I lack the knowledge of your language otherwise I would have made your point likewise.
But we as Bimmerfesters do have an obligation as well.
Feeding the unionfest on this forum should not be our goal,it seems we get going time and again.
I searched for Autounion for sites he could get his thing working.
But helas did not find any.
So as long we keep giving him response, he will keep hooking us up.
Like too eager biting fish on his ringer biased bait.
It realy is a pity because these threads end somewhat sour and do not realy built anything worthwhile.
I would like to suggest to all festers to google autounion and find out the pedigree of all these biased posts.

Last edited by Sophisto; 05-12-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Have they ever upgraded power for a refresh? I could see them offering a power kit, but just free HP because Audi eventually passed them
They did it with N54 engine in the e92s 335i. Originally rated at 300 HP, BMW later bumped it up to 320 HP and called it 335is. The 335i (2010 and later) is now powered by N55 engine.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I have posted this in the past (with links), where one of the major car mag's questioned the significant performance differences between two A6's they had tested. They claimed the first "press release" car shifted harder and accelerated faster, but Audi reps claimed there was nothing wrong with the first car. This is why I pretty much ignore the European boondoggle first tests and even the US first tests of performance cars, since all of these cars are provided by the manufacturers. I put more faith in the follow-up comparison tests where the cars are not supplied by the manufacturer, or better yet owner dragstrip results, providing they mention any trickery or enhancements employed. BTW, I apply this skeptism to all brands.
Virtually all car magazine test cars are supplied by the manufacturers. They have a fleet of "press cars" that are available for testing. It doesn't matter if the car just came out, or came out five years ago.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Consumer Reports is the only source of auto reviews where the cars tested are purchased, anonymously, from dealers and also the only auto publication which does not accept advertising. Folks have mixed and polarized opinions on CR, but they at least buy the cars they review the same way that we buy them.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 02-11-2014, 03:00 PM
Automobile Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Sal Collaziano Send a message via AIM to Sal Collaziano Send a message via MSN to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Yahoo to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Skype™ to Sal Collaziano
Mein Auto: 2012 Lexus LS460L
I know this is an old discussion, but... The S6 has been dyno'd at 480 horsepower and 464 foot pounds of torque stock. A "tune only" brings those numbers to 560/580 on 93 octane.

2010 Renntech E63 AMG (595hp for now), 2000 Audi S4 (600hp/700hp race gas - for sale), 2012 Lexus LS460L, 2013 Lexus RX350
buick | hyundai genesis | read my annoying blog
Old 02-22-2014, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Test drive an S6 before I bought my 550. It is a great car but the styling is oh hum in my opinion ( not much different than the A6) by the time you add the options to compare apples and apples the S6 was out the door at $82+ instead of the $72 for my loads 550. Bought my wife the first SQ5 in Arixona and that little SUV with a supercharged 3 liter with 355 hp is as fast as my 550. 0-60 in 4.7 with a good-tech and paddle shifters. More fun to drive than a Porsche cayman
Old 02-22-2014, 03:37 PM

wow, thread has gone places lol
Old 02-22-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az550 View Post
Test drive an S6 before I bought my 550. It is a great car but the styling is oh hum in my opinion ( not much different than the A6) by the time you add the options to compare apples and apples the S6 was out the door at $82+ instead of the $72 for my loads 550. Bought my wife the first SQ5 in Arixona and that little SUV with a supercharged 3 liter with 355 hp is as fast as my 550. 0-60 in 4.7 with a good-tech and paddle shifters. More fun to drive than a Porsche cayman
Is the SQ5 really THAT fast? I drove one around the city for some time and thought it was fast, but I didn't realize it was that quick
Old 02-22-2014, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
I have driven it as much as my wife and it was faster and more hp than an s4 with awd. ( I had driven the s4, s6, s5 and the 550 before buying. The sq5 shocked me but that supercharged v6 screams. It blew away a 535, s4 and faster than a stock v8 mustang( beat up on one of my employees with a stock 2013 5liter. It was faster than all above and pretty close with my 550. Well into triple digits it is as stable as my 550
Old 02-22-2014, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Quote:
Impressive acceleration. But the roadholding figure is very poor.
Last I checked, speed limits in the US are 65mph at best. So, you get well past the legal limit in second gear, then what? These cars are more frustrating than fun. I just can't see spending that kind of money and never being able to use it. If you want it as a status-mobile fine, but the engine is wasted on the US.

-James
Seattle, WA
Old 02-25-2014, 03:03 AM

Mein Auto:
Iamthewalrus....mmm wasn't that a Beatles song? Just remember that these cars have great passing acceleration and that is more important than the top speed. Swift overtaking is more easily accomplished with a high power to weight ratio and that is why these modern super-sedans are necessary. Furthermore, acceleration has been married to luxury, so one really attains a sensual intoxicating experience. Something you can't really get from a VW Beetle!
Old 02-25-2014, 06:25 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Nice car. I do wish BMW would stop assuming that someone who wants xDrive also wants a compromised suspension that sits 10mm higher than the RWD sport version.

Leasing one of these will cost more than leasing an M5, though.