Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-08-2012, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: N/A
Question Buying a BMW 328i Coupe (2007) As My First Car?

Hey all! It's about that time when I get my first car! I've been looking around online and whatnot, and I found that I would be able to afford a 2007 BMW 328i, either a sedan or a coupe, and I REALLY like how it looks.

Of course, I'm still new to the whole performance car thing (and cars in general). From what I understand from the searches I've done, it's probably not going to kill a BMW by using normal fuel, but it's HIGHLY recommended to use premium fuel. Also, BMW's have higher maintenance and repair costs (oil changes are like $7 a quart, and 10 quarts are needed for an oil change?).

Is that right?

My real questions are:

1. Do actual dealerships (Nissan, etc) and just used car dealers operate under the same standards (regulations, etc)? Would you recommend buying from an actual dealership or a used dealer?

2. Up to how many miles would buying a used car still be worth it?

3. Generally, do used dealers offer warranties or anything of the sort?
Also, do used dealers do extensive checks on the cars they sell? Or do they just buy and then sell them?

4. Are there any "chain" used car dealerships that are well known and reliable, as well as trustable?

5. Finally, I have heard about buying cars from rental places. Does this really work? Is this a good idea? I am somewhat hesitant about buying a rental car.

Kind of lengthy, so any answers on any portion of my questions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all!
Ads by Google
Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Bmw 328xi
Cool

Selling my 2008 328xi. Has pretty much everything 82000 miles, just needs shocks everything else is good, clean title. Take a look at my latest pictures with my new angel eyes. not in a rush to sell, just think its time for a 5 series ! If your interested message me, not trying to make a profit just need a bigger car.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by folk View Post
Also, BMW's have higher maintenance and repair costs (oil changes are like $7 a quart, and 10 quarts are needed for an oil change?).

Is that right?

1. Do actual dealerships (Nissan, etc) and just used car dealers operate under the same standards (regulations, etc)? Would you recommend buying from an actual dealership or a used dealer?

3. Generally, do used dealers offer warranties or anything of the sort?
Also, do used dealers do extensive checks on the cars they sell? Or do they just buy and then sell them?
The BMW 328i takes 7 quarts of oil, not 10. You can purchase a DIY kit with BMW 5w30 synthetic oil & filter online for about $70 or a dealer will charge about $100 to $150 for an oil service, although many periodically offer coupons for $80.

I would strongly recommend finding a CPO BMW, probably from a BMW dealer. You can do a search at:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...lSearchRD.aspx

Tom
Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i Coupe
Just bought the exact same car and I love it! 2007 328i coupe, and I work for new car dealer -Most "new" car dealers or "big" used car dealers like "carmax" have the same process to do Used car recons and safety inspections, however do ask to see the inspection sheets- I would recomend to stay away from little used car lots, they buy mostly from auctions or what other "big" car dealers do not want to put on their lots, stay away from "rental" places, as far as mileage, the lower the better of course, but 40-50k would be your guide, that means may have had only one owner who may have taken good care of it. always look at the interior, (seats)(trunk)(headliner)if the interior is very clean and taken care of that would be an indication that the previous owner may have been careful with it and of course always check under the hood for fluids condition, leaks, oil stains, etc etc.
Yes... do get an extended warranty, if IT is backed by a big car co even better, like "toyota extracare or GM majorguard, Fidelety, CNA, Ryan Warranties (REGION), GE CAPITOL, this are some of the good ones... If you are financing the car it may even be a requirement by the bank and they will also offer you the extended warranty, most credit unions offer them.
If you are really interested in a 328, make sure before you take delivery, check the front windshield top horizontal rubber weatherstrip, they are known for cracking and melt into tiny little pieces... check tires and check for damage on the wheels, if the rims edges are banged up that means the previous owner may have ridden the car hard....
i hope this info helps you, BMW is indeed a very good car, in all aspects... good luck.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izabalence View Post
Yes... do get an extended warranty, if IT is backed by a big car co even better, like "toyota extracare or GM majorguard, Fidelety, CNA, Ryan Warranties (REGION), GE CAPITOL, this are some of the good ones... If you are financing the car it may even be a requirement by the bank and they will also offer you the extended warranty, most credit unions offer them.
Really? Required to have an extended warranty by the lender? I have never heard of that.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
The BMW 328i takes 7 quarts of oil, not 10. You can purchase a DIY kit with BMW 5w30 synthetic oil & filter online for about $70 or a dealer will charge about $100 to $150 for an oil service, although many periodically offer coupons for $80.

Tom
Also, find a good independent shop in your area for repairs and other work. The one I use in my area charges $89 for an oil change with BMW oil and OEM filter - it doesn't make sense to change my own.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 328I
First Car

Just be aware the BMW's are not inexpensive cars. Oil Changes are just one piece of the puzzle.

Need new tires 1000 - 1500 unless you replace the run flats. But then you need a spare that sits in your trunk - 350. Oh and you'll go through those tires every 15 - 30 K. Need an alignment - 130 at a good independent, 200 at a dealer.

Brakes - 1000 unless you can do them yourself.

Coolant, transmission, diff oil changes - 50 - 100 a pop.

I love my 2008 328i and have no thoughts of selling it but the cost with depreciation and real maintenance has been about 75 cents a mile and that has been with no major problems. Do the math for 10000 miles per year. They are great cars but just because you can afford the initial cost does not mean you can afford the car.

I'm not trying to scare you but you need to be aware.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattage View Post
Just be aware the BMW's are not inexpensive cars. Oil Changes are just one piece of the puzzle.

Need new tires 1000 - 1500 unless you replace the run flats. But then you need a spare that sits in your trunk - 350. Oh and you'll go through those tires every 15 - 30 K. Need an alignment - 130 at a good independent, 200 at a dealer.

I love my 2008 328i and have no thoughts of selling it but the cost with depreciation and real maintenance has been about 75 cents a mile and that has been with no major problems. Do the math for 10000 miles per year. They are great cars but just because you can afford the initial cost does not mean you can afford the car.

Yes, this is a good point. I will note that an independent shop can save about 3-350 on brakes, however. Most of the prices listed are stealership prices.

I had a 328i for a year, then upgraded to my current 335i. During that time, I have had the following done at an indy shop:

Tires - Conti DSW + Alignment on 328i = $750
Tires - Conto DSW + Enkei EKM3 Rims = $1,100 (Discount tire matching tire rack + $200 in rebates)
Front Brakes on 335i = $665 (rotors, etc)
3 total oil changes = $85 each

Last edited by smbmw3; 05-14-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:

How often would these things be? For example the brakes, they aren't a yearly thing, are they?!

Also, from our cars that we currently have it's $150 - $180 per wheel...
Old 05-14-2012, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi Sapphire Black
Nice 328i as a first car is great! Nice looking too.

I think you should buy from a BMW certified dealership, you never know when you buy from other places. Plus, BMW will continue its service plan on the vehicle if you buy from a certified dealer.

For a BMW you should look try and get something under 40,000 miles. AND if possible ask if they have just replaced the tires. Run Flats are pretty expensive so replacing them 6,000 miles later would suck...they usually run about like $250-500 per wheel. Service won't pay for these.

My service pays for other stuff like oil and brakes. Dunno what these other people are talking about.

Good luck man! Have fun!

PS: Brakes usually don't have to be replaced yearly. Its usually every 50-60,000 miles I think...unless you brake heavily all the time lol or live in a city.

Art is science made clear

335xi 08'

Last edited by Spartan Eagle; 05-14-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:40 PM

Ah, the reason why I am so tempted to buy a non-CPO'ed BMW is there's a dealer near me selling a 328i for 16.9k and it's just under 50k miles, seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Of course, I haven't seen the Carfax or have it checked, so it could be there's something wrong with it.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
Quote:
Ah, the reason why I am so tempted to buy a non-CPO'ed BMW is there's a dealer near me selling a 328i for 16.9k and it's just under 50k miles, seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Of course, I haven't seen the Carfax or have it checked, so it could be there's something wrong with it.
If that has a clean Carfax and doesn't need work, that's a hell of a steal...
Old 05-14-2012, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: '07 335i E92 SG CR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemorrhage View Post
If that has a clean Carfax and doesn't need work, that's a hell of a steal...
And just remember, the N52 motor in the 328 is built to last, so knock wood, your maintenance costs should be manageable. It is a totally different animal than the N54.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:26 PM

Do you guys think if I emailed the dealer and asked them to email me a copy of that Carfax, would they do it? Is that an unreasonable thing to ask?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
Quote:
Do you guys think if I emailed the dealer and asked them to email me a copy of that Carfax, would they do it? Is that an unreasonable thing to ask?
Yes, it is reasonable.

Think...if they want to sell something and there's nothing to hide, why would they not have a free Carfax?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan Eagle View Post
Nice 328i as a first car is great! Nice looking too.

My service pays for other stuff like oil and brakes. Dunno what these other people are talking about.

PS: Brakes usually don't have to be replaced yearly. Its usually every 50-60,000 miles I think...unless you brake heavily all the time lol or live in a city.
I'm just trying to make sure that the buyer knows what he/she is getting into.

Service pays for everything for 4 years/60K miles for original owner, 6 years/100K miles CPO. A 2007 only has 1 more year under CPO so after that he is paying for everything.

Brakes lifespan depends entirely upon how you drive. If you drive conservatively 50 - 60K is great. If you drive aggressively 15 - 30 K might be good so every 2 - 3 years.

One electronics failure (oh, these cars never have those problems) and that could be another 200 - 1500 in cost.

Anybody ever bend a rim on these cars - $500 for a new BMW rim.

All I'm saying is a used BMW is still a major investment beyond the initial purchase price. If you are not willing to pay, don't play. Another note to the original poster. Unfortunately the attitude displayed on a few of these posts is typical of modern BMW drivers, they've done only the minimal amount of maintenance that the BMW free maintenance plan covers and they trade in their cars or return them from lease after 4 years of hard driving. There's a reason why you are looking at such a great price, the trade in values of these cars is terrible because so many people take such poor care of the car. Buyer beware.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:02 AM
flâneur en cabriolet

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 N54
Quote:
I'm just trying to make sure that the buyer knows what he/she is getting into.

Service pays for everything for 4 years/60K miles for original owner, 6 years/100K miles CPO. A 2007 only has 1 more year under CPO so after that he is paying for everything.

Brakes lifespan depends entirely upon how you drive. If you drive conservatively 50 - 60K is great. If you drive aggressively 15 - 30 K might be good so every 2 - 3 years.

One electronics failure (oh, these cars never have those problems) and that could be another 200 - 1500 in cost.

Anybody ever bend a rim on these cars - $500 for a new BMW rim.

All I'm saying is a used BMW is still a major investment beyond the initial purchase price. If you are not willing to pay, don't play. Another note to the original poster. Unfortunately the attitude displayed on a few of these posts is typical of modern BMW drivers, they've done only the minimal amount of maintenance that the BMW free maintenance plan covers and they trade in their cars or return them from lease after 4 years of hard driving. There's a reason why you are looking at such a great price, the trade in values of these cars is terrible because so many people take such poor care of the car. Buyer beware.
Actually, CPO doesn't cover wear items like oil and brakes the way the original warranty does.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: E70 X5, F10 535i
CPO also doesn't cover a bunch of the electronics (nav, stereo, etc...). IMO CPO on a car that age isn't worth what they are going to try to get you to pay for it. You'll likely have a year worth of coverage at maximum as the CPO policy starts from the vehicle's original purchase date not when you buy it and a lot of '07s are going to have been bought in '06 or the first half of 07.

Carfax can't be trusted to mean the car hasn't had paint work or been in an accident either. There are a lot of times things don't appear on the carfax. I would say if you find a car you are serious about ask the dealership to let you have an independent mechanic inspect it. It might cost a couple hundred dollars but, it would be worth it.

Last, don't "trust" any dealership. Just because they are a big fancy dealership doesn't mean they are honest. I've had the GM of a larger BMW dealership lie to me about the condition of a car that he was using as his personal demo. The bastard told me the car was pristine, let me drive 5.5 hours up there in a one way rental car to buy it while flat out lying that it had never had paint work, or been smoked in when he was the one smoking in it. They are all out to make a buck. If they get screwed on a trade in they will try to pass that screwing on to you. If you don't know what you are looking for in regards to trouble signs bring a friend who does.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGCR View Post
And just remember, the N52 motor in the 328 is built to last, so knock wood, your maintenance costs should be manageable. It is a totally different animal than the N54.
I don't think anyone is that worried about the engine lasting. What really racks up the repair costs are the water pump, radiator leaks, thermostat, fuel pump, alternator, etc etc...all stuff that is highly likely to need replacement once you get to higher mileages. The engine is solid on the N52 or N54, but with the N54 you need to also worry about waste gates and are more likely to have injector trouble.

Anyway, my best advice to the OP would be that if maintenance sounds like it could keep you stranded, go with a vehicle that's cheaper to fix. If you're already pricing oil changes I'd venture to say you're worried about maintenance cost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 05-15-2012, 03:48 PM

I asked for the Carfax, and it says "Branded Title: Buyback/Lemon"

Deal breaker?
Old 05-15-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I asked for the Carfax, and it says "Branded Title: Buyback/Lemon"

Deal breaker?
Not necessarily. You need more information, why was it a buyback?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:07 PM

Okay so here's the deal: BMW replaced the car originally because the brake light kept coming on. BMW then replaced the brake pads to resolve the issue.

That doesn't sound too bad for me...is there anything wrong with buying that car? I'll have the car checked by a technician
Old 05-16-2012, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
Here are my answers to your questions

If you are thinking of putting lower octane in the car, don't buy it. You'll be marginally hurting performance and fuel economy. The difference in 20 cents you will spend per gallon will make itself up in fuel economy.

Since its your first car, expect it to get beaten up a little bit, stuff happens - Dont get too attached.

1) Always get a pre-purchase inspection (PPI). Find a reputable mechanic or a good dealer near you to do this. Should cost $200-$300
2) Dont know
3) Read the fine print on extended warranties. My dad bought a warranty and had a repair claim denied because ford had posted a bulletin about the repair to assist the dealers in diagnosing the problem
4) Dont trust anyone. Get a PPI. Check craigslist, autotrader, cars.com for 1 owner vehicles.
5) I wouldn't buy a rental. People beat on them since its not their car. They also fill them with regular gas when premium should be used.

Good luck!
Old 05-16-2012, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 3series
Don't buy this car if you can stomach the bills.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:

What do you mean by brakes? Replacing? Or adjusting?