Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Function over fashion

Mein Auto: 325xiT
Valentine Radar

When I said I wasn't going to mess with my wife's new X3 I lied. I forgot I need to hardwire her Valentine into the car. I plan to tap power from the overhead console with the lights and whatnot; but for the remote display, I just have had it mounted to the steering column behind the wheel on my car and her old Volvo. Anyone have a better idea? It's not the cleanest looking thing behind the wheel like that, but it's a great visual location. Then a mute button somewhere else is necessary unless you want to reach through the wheel to mute.

Anyone else here with a good Valentine install?
Ads by Google
Old 05-14-2012, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i (sold the X3)
Did mine is was easy, old credit card to remove overhead compartment that the sunrood switch is in and then tap into a line. Careful in there, I opened the sunroof and called BMW assist without trying.

(I found a red wire on a harness that was not being used, only problem, it is on all the time.)

Steve

Last edited by ShakyDog; 05-14-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3
For ease in connecting power, you should check out Invisicord.com. They make a variety of custom connectors some of which have the proprietary Valentine plug on one end and very thin spades on the other end that insert into a wiring harness connector. Very slick, very easy - as long as you know where to plug them in. Choice of power and ground is the challenge. On my M3 I couldn't get a clear ground. Be careful what you decide to plug into.

Last edited by shendrick; 05-14-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Function over fashion

I like the invisicord concept; that's essentially what I've made in the past for other cars. Tonight I'm taking the Valentine out of the Volvo so I might attempt a partial installation in the X3 unless it's raining (no garage at home). I usually actually tap into power at the glove box because I can then have a splitter behind the dash that runs 1 wire to the unit, 1 to the display, and 1 to the remote mute, rather than having those coming down from the headliner.

Any good remote display locations? I think it might be just going on the steering column again...
Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 08 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3
I've never bothered with a remote setup mostly because its too much trouble and I'd rather have portability. That said, I use the Valentine spring clip on the very right hand end of the driver's visor so (a) it's easy to see the display while driving and (b) the unit is not easily visible from the outside since it is close to mirror and behind the darker tinting at the top of the windshield. However, this renders the visor inoperable which woiuld be an issue if you're short. I'm not, so no big deal. Since I have not hardwired - this also allows me to run the powercord over the morror and down to the lighter in a way that doesn't restrict visibility or get in the way of other passengers. Not as good as what you are doing but OK for me since I'm not an EE type.

I'm told you need to pay attention to the A pillar air bags if you are routing cable there so as to not interfere with their operation. Could be challenging.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
My Plan

I am planning on putting my remote in the ashtray. Your thoughts on that?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Function over fashion

It fits absolutely perfectly in the ashtray, but I don't like to have to look way down there when it goes off. A lot of e46ers have put it there I think, and it's nice because it's pretty easy, it fits snugly with almost no modification, and you can close the ashtray and it's hidden. But again, I like to have the display near the gauges because that's where I want to look when it goes off. Also, the ashtray area (as in my car) holds a contemporary phone very nicely, so I don't want to interfere with that use.

Thanks for the heads up on the pillar airbags, yeah I had to route the wire carefully in my car for that same reason. I pretty much disconnect the battery when I go any deeper than opening the glove box, after tripping the airbag light in my wife's old car doing the some wiring. I just extracted the wiring from the Volvo so I might get that into the X3 in the next couple days. I'll post pics if I get creative.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 2.0d MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
I am planning on putting my remote in the ashtray. Your thoughts on that?
That is where I have the Blinder on/off switch installed. Be careful if you need to drill a hole in the ashtray, it might break (don't ask me how I know it).