Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-15-2012, 06:40 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
I have had a lot of seat time with both. You can't even compare the two. First of all the 335i out of the box is a drivers car. When you add sport package, or Msport, or 19 inch rims or go for future M3 it takes an already capable drivers car and turns it into a track tool.
The 5 series starts as a luxury car. It's much more refined, larger,civilized, and mature. In order to make it more of a drivers car you have to order a host of expensive options, then it becomes much more suited to aggressive driving. It's still not a spots car though, it's too big and you can't defy the laws of physics. Even the M5 with all it's power will still be much harder to maneuver on the track than an M3.

It's been said before but it bears repeating the 3 is a sports car with some luxury while the 5 is a luxury car with some sport. This was done on purpose, and considering how big the 3 and 5 have become, the 1 is the new 3 and the 3 is the new 5.
As someone who has owned several 5ers and 3ers at the same time I can tell you that this post by TJ is the most accurate of all the posts on this subject. I too like each car for what it does. The 3er is a much more sporty and fun car so that is the one I drive on the weekends and after work. The 5 er is much more luxury oriented so that is the one I drive when I spend 2 + hours a day on the road for work. I have yet to find a car that does both sport and luxury the way I want. I am hopeful that it might be the F10 M5, but I have to test one before I am sure. Even when I pondered the E60 M5 I could not help but feel that the car lost too much luxury to warrant a car that large....the M3 was more fun and cost less money IMHO. As a BMW guy I hate to say this, but but I remembered test driving the MBZ E63 AMG and feeling that the E63 AMG hit the sweet spot better than the M5 (E60) or the 3 series. It was the lack of a 6 speed manual that kept me away from the E63 AMG and if it were available with a 6MT I would be driving one right now. MBZ really nailed the balance of sport and luxury with that car IMHO.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Strange thing is that I have a E90 Msport 6MT 335 and I can't wait to jump into the F10. Two totally different cars and it really comes down to what the driver wants out of it.

Alan
Old 05-15-2012, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
No offense but it bugs me to hear the 3 Series described as an "entry level" .....

Many view it as the ultimate.

It's been on the 10 Best list for years and is the "gold standard" in handling and drivability for a sports sedan.
I am not the only one with this opinion, here is what Edmunds have to say about the F30.

"The 3 Series sedan is all-new for 2012, but the other body styles carry over unchanged. Regardless, this BMW stalwart remains a well-rounded and highly desirable entry-level luxury car."
Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Entry level is a moniker simply used to describe the 3 series place in the luxury hierarchy. It's mainly categorized this way due to price. Although the spread between a stripper 328i and an M3 is pretty massive.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
Entry level is a moniker simply used to describe the 3 series place in the luxury hierarchy. It's mainly categorized this way due to price. Although the spread between a stripper 328i and an M3 is pretty massive.
With the price of the 3 series sky rocketing, the 1 series will soon be the new BMW entry level luxury sedan. Of course BMW need to design a 4 door 1 series first.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
I was smitten the first time I drove a 335i but I understand and appreciate the difference between the 3 and the 5. I have always been given the 328 when I take my 335 in and while I am glad to get it back I can still appreciate the 328 for its handling and ride qualities without the extra hp of the 335. I even still enjoy driving my e36 from time to time. I guess what I am saying is that I have yet to drive a bimmer that I didn't like. I keep waiting for them to give me a M3 loaner but not holding my breath.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 05-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
With the price of the 3 series sky rocketing, the 1 series will soon be the new BMW entry level luxury sedan. Of course BMW need to design a 4 door 1 series first.
There is a 5 door 1 series, but not here.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-15-2012, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel2002p View Post
Well I took my car into Classic BMW to get the software update on my F10 528i and they gave me a loaner 2012 335i sedan. Thus car completely spoiled me, the steering, ride, handling and above all the engine impressed the flip out of me.
-Daniel
I'm considering a 5 series, and I felt that this was the BMW model I wanted. Then the Team Drive event came up and I got to test the 3 series. Now its hard for me to decide.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
6' 4" here and plenty of room for me in both models ...... not so much for the back seat passenger behind me ....
Same here, 6'4", no problem in my E90 330, no problems in the F10s I have test driven. Interestingly, I never felt that I had enough leg room in my wife's E61 535.