Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Has my apetite for torque and power grown or has my F10 become more sluggish?

So it's been 15k kms on the clock (~10k miles) and all is good except... I'm either too hungry for instant power OR (more likely) my F10 has started exhibiting that silly in-motion downshift/response delay so many others have been compalinging about for months. Say I'm doing about 40mph and press the gas 3/4 of the way to get some instant boost. Sometimes I have to wait for 1-2 seconds before anything happens! I seriously do not recall that from the first few k miles. Maybe, and there is a small likelihood of that, I've simply grown used to the power and am asking for more of it and delivered more quickly. Don't know, but I don't think it's the correct intended behaviour that my car is exhibiting. Or sometimes I will gas it 3/4s of the way and see the rpm jumping into one gear then into another, as if it could not make up its mind or struggle with too many gears (and did not read my initial command correctly - gave me too high of a gear and quickly reduced even more). Either way, not boost for 1-2 seconds at times which is a bit frustrating.

By the way, I've been driving rather "dynamically" so if the tranny and computer are "learning" anything they should not be in doubt what sort of driver sits at the wheel.

???

Time for some software update? Mine is Aug '11 build with no visits to the dealer just yet.
Ads by Google
Old 05-15-2012, 04:36 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Time for software update. This is exactly the behavior my car was exhibiting.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-15-2012, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Get new software. I'm hopefully picking mine up today.

I would never let people drive my car because unless you've been "trained" in knowing how the car will respond, it could be very dangerous. When most people press an accelerator pedal, they expect a car to go. Not these things pre-software upgrade.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 05-15-2012, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Do you have sport auto tranny? I click the left paddleshift before I tap the power. Especially on the highway, there are too many gears and they're spaced for efficiency. I'll either slide the shifter to DS,or blip the paddles. And yes you should get the software.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Regular tranny.

When I push the gas just a bit, it will accelerate with slight gear reduction and some light torque, but ironically the problem seems more significant when I push it further, ie. 1/2, 3/4s of the way in. It seems to "think" way too long rather than quickly getting an obvious hint.

Crap, as much as I want a loaner, I don't want to see the stealer (my old mentality of fixing my own cars myself and never ever allowing anyone to touch anything, unless I absolutely cannot fix it myself).

LOGMYMPG sponsored by ckvideo.ca