Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 04-05-2012, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW M3 Vert
98 BMW M3 vert top is making a "popping" sound when trying to open

Hey guys. Ive looked around on the site to try and find this answer, im just not exactly sure how to describe it. My top has been messed up for awhile. I had it almost working correctly (in sync) and now, when I push the button to let it down, all the tonneau cover motor does is just makes a popping or clicking sound like its catching on something. Ive looked at the cables, tried reseting it, but it still doesnt help. Ive also tried lowering it manually, setting everything back up, and trying to raise the top, but it does the same thing. Now the motor that lowers the top back doesnt come on anymore and the windows no longer lower (im guessing everythings out of sync again). Any ideas? Ive included a link to a short video I made of the noise. Thanks a bunch.

http://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/...oryofmylife26/

Last edited by storyofmylife26; 04-05-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-08-2012, 03:16 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Stop doing that.
What is likely to be happening is your motor with gear has popped out of the assembly because the plate that holds the motor and gear has most likely bent. It could be something else but if I am right you may destroy the gear and once destroyed you cannot find a replacement. The fix is to remove the plate and straighten it.
If I am wrong then no idea what the pop or popping sound is. Verifying all linkages are operating correctly to include the motors and gears is the next logical step...
Old 04-12-2012, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW M3 Vert
yea, I only done it to take the video. I took everything off, and I didnt see any bent pieces. I again traced the wires, and couldnt see any damage or what-not. So, im really not sure... Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:00 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 E36 M3 Vert 3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Stop doing that.
What is likely to be happening is your motor with gear has popped out of the assembly because the plate that holds the motor and gear has most likely bent. It could be something else but if I am right you may destroy the gear and once destroyed you cannot find a replacement. The fix is to remove the plate and straighten it.
If I am wrong then no idea what the pop or popping sound is. Verifying all linkages are operating correctly to include the motors and gears is the next logical step...
How come you can't find a replacement? So if this breaks on your drop top you're screwed for good?
Old 05-15-2012, 06:40 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
If you destroy the gear you find another motor with gear attached new or used.
Cost is about 1:200 gear vs motor with gear so messing this up even once is costly...
Gear is never sold seperately nor are there aftermarket...