Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-23-2009, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 540i Sport
Multiple Cylinder Misfire With Fuel Cut-off

Hello,

I am getting code P1341 (Multiple Cylinder Misfire With Fuel Cut-off) when I accelerate. Also, some times, specially when the engine gets hot, I feel the intermittent rought idle at red lights, as if one or more cylinder do not fire for few seconds.

What are possible causes for multiple cylinder misfire? Valve cover gasket was leaking a bit on driver side of the engine so couple of the spark plugs boots were a little oily. I changed the valve cover gasket. No more oil in valve cover valley but intermittent rough idle still occures. Spark plugs are couple of years old. I have been using K&N air filter for a couple of years now.

The car has 170K km on it.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
Well, I guess there could be multiple things causing a misfire. I myself have a thermostat going bad and its f'n up the fuel mixture. This in turn has cause some misfiring.

How did your spark plugs look when you replaced the valve cover gasket?

How did you get your codes? Dealership, indy, Peake Reader?

Good luck figuring this out, though.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Is this really the only code you are getting??? If you have multiple misfire, then you should also get individual cylinder misfire codes. like 340, 341,342, etc.

If you have K&N filters, then that means that you need to spray them with oil to clean and reactivate the filter ? (oil catches the dust). That oil will find its way into the MAF sensor, fvcking up your fuel mixture, that can cause misfire if you are running too lean.

Take the MAF out (5 minutes job), and spray the hell of it with CRC (MAF cleaner).

If still not working, check for intake vacuum leaks. (can be in multiple points, if you have that, then replace ALL vacuum hoses). Your car has 170,000 miles, and is 2000. All those hoses are plastic and very brittle by now.

... at least that is a starting point...

mw
Old 05-24-2009, 01:30 PM

I read the code using my mechanics code reader. That's the only code that registers. It happened twice (few weeks apart). My spark plugs are couple of years old. They were in good condition when I check them few days ago.

I will check for vacuume leaks and clean the MAF.

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
You may have better luck with another code reader….
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 05-24-2009, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Does that scan tool read Pending Codes?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:10 PM

No Pending Codes.
Should I start inspecting coil packs as well?
Old 05-24-2009, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: '03 530I/S blk/blk
Check your fuel pressure. If it is the lack of fuel pressure, it should also give you a "lean" code though. Could be a plugged fuel filter as well. Multiple misfire without any other code is rear.
If the misfire started after changeing the valve cover gasket, check the coil pack ground wires.

Good luck.

Chet
Old 05-25-2009, 06:23 PM

Fuel filter was the first thing I changed. Did not help, although it was time to replace it anyways. Misfire started before changing the valve cover gasket.
Today I cleaned the MAF sensor. It did not help, but I did notice the shield for group of wires leaving the MAF sensor is ripped in two places, so in two area about half inch long the 4 or 5 wires are exposed. It is possible that one or two of the wires are damaged and disconnect intermittently. Is it possible to get the MAF wires replaced without changing the whole harness?
Old 05-31-2009, 08:38 PM

Today I took out the spark plugs, coils and boots from cylinder 1-4 and cleaned them up. Spark plug threads were dirty and probably ground contact was not available all the time. The car seem to be OK for now.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Throw away the K&N, put in an OEM filter, and clean/replace the MAF sensor.

Cleaning the spark plug threads means nothing. There is about 40 kV across those threads. A little dirt won't interfere.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 05-31-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: e39 wagon (silver 528)
any more on this saga. i am at the same point as Zorin and am wondering what the likelihood of a fuel pump problem. do they go commonly? my 2000 528it has 165k miles.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I have an ever-changing complex set of misfire codes myself ...
- Does the order of the misfire OBDII DTCs diagnostic trouble codes actually matter (1)

My suggestion?
- How to diagnose a BMW E39 engine misfire (1)

It's nowhere near where it should be ... but ... it's a starting point for tribal improvement!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 PM

searching for zen

bluebee, i am aware of your thorough checklist for diagnosing misfire errors. I trust that if i proceed systematically through the steps i will indeed solve my multiple cylinder misfires (that at present are occuring more frequently lately and seem to happen when drawing fuel aggressively even early in drives [1st 1.5 miles] before anything has heated up. my 2000 528it [ohh, silver with black interior] with c.165,000miles experiences fuel shutdown [runs rough which is felt primarily at idle and the car has no power] but runs well after turning car off briefly).

My peak scanner has indicated at one time as many as codes: F2, F3, EF, F1, 1F (or cylinder misfires on #5, 6, 2, 4; and "ignition coil" on cylinder #5. I have replaced the fuel filter and plan to find the pump relay and squeeze at the hose, searching for the pump's vibrations...then i think a check on the cam sensor whatchamadgig is in order once i look up the thread that addresses where it is and how to diagnose. I have new plugs that i will probably get around to installing and, if i can score a sale on Techron... BUT...

...but i am hoping my specific symptoms could bring a sage observer to the one only cause...or at least a narrower shadow to search in. It feels like a fuel delivery issue and if it comes to having to check fuel pressure i think i'll just take it in. I am scared about the cat because it seems i'm noticing a stronger exhaust smell. I've been good at keeping up with o2 sensors in the 70k miles ive owned the car (tho today was the first fuel filter i've put in...and i don't think i got the harness around it right...anyway).

The checklist is ominous. can you narrow my search?

thanks
Old 10-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Yours was a very well written & thorough response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagodonuts68 View Post
i am aware of your thorough checklist for diagnosing misfire errors. I trust that if i proceed systematically through the steps i will indeed solve my multiple cylinder misfires
To clarify, it's not 'my' checklist; I simply compiled it from all misfire threads that had solutions updated by their owners! All the solutions came from those who solved their misfires; not from me.

And, as you've noted, it's easily listed 'what' can cause a misfire; but it's a lot harder to describe complete checks for each component.

The lack of complete step-by-step diagnostic-test checklists for each failure component is a major failing of that thread (which needs to be rectified).

Quote:
occurring more frequently lately and seem to happen when drawing fuel aggressively even early in drives [1st 1.5 miles] before anything has heated up.
Interestingly, I have very similar issues current:
- Does the order of the misfire OBDII DTCs diagnostic trouble codes actually matter (1)

Quote:
fuel shutdown [runs rough which is felt primarily at idle and the car has no power] but runs well after turning car off briefly).
Exactly what I'm currently experiencing!

Quote:
I have replaced the fuel filter and plan to find the pump relay and squeeze at the hose, searching for the pump's vibrations...
Since I have the I6 with the fuel system Schrader valve (where ever it is), I plan on testing the fuel system with the Autozone $150 free loaner tool.

Failing to find the Schrader valve (surprisingly) in Realoem, I'm currently searching the bestlinks fuel-system test threads for a picture of the location of the M54 Schrader valve.

Quote:
I have new plugs that i will probably get around to installing
Here is my pictorial spark plug DIY that you may be interested in:
- Pictorial DIY for an M54 spark plug replacement on a 2002 BMW 525i E39 with 95K miles

Quote:
if i can score a sale on Techron...
Watch out. There are multiple kinds of 'Techron' branded fluids (none of which would I use unless I had exhausted all other recourse.
- Decent Techron thread

Quote:
BUT...i am hoping my specific symptoms could bring a sage observer to the one only cause...or at least a narrower shadow to search in.
I see. I need the same wise & sage observer myself for much the similar symptoms!

Quote:
It feels like a fuel delivery issue and if it comes to having to check fuel pressure i think i'll just take it in.
We should work together since we both have similar issues (as far as I can tell).

I'm going to borrow the Autozone fuel system tester before replacing any parts. My only problem at the moment is figuring out WHERE to hook up the tester on my M54?

- How do I test fuel pressure?

Quote:
The checklist is ominous. can you narrow my search?
I agree. It's ominous for me also.

It can only be gas, air, spark, compression, or timing.

It's probably not spark, compression, or timing; so it's probably the air:fuel ratio (I realize you knew as much).

I am approaching it, at the moment, by two (imperfect) avenues:
  1. Vacuum leaks:
    • - How to battle E39 vacuum leaks (1) (2) (3)
    • - How to solve specific vacuum leak diagnostic trouble codes such as P0171, P0174, P0313 (1) & P0170, P0173 (1)
    • - Where to find all the vacuum hoses in the E39 (1)
  2. Fuel delivery:
    • - How to replace and service your BMW E39 fuel injectors (1)
    • - Testing (1) and replacing the fuel pump (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
    • - DIY for replacing the fuel filter (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)
What we both need, and which neither one of us has found satisfactory yet, is a comprehensive step-by-step procedure for both situations above (vacuum leaks and fuel delivery).

All I can find, for example, are tidbits scattered all over the place.

Sigh.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 AM

may have been spark plugs

i replaced my plugs yesterday. What came out were very ugly looking Bosch platinum plugs that in the course of at least 65k miles (they were in the car when i bought it with 107k miles on the odometer) of driving had all developed what looked like a 1/4" stripe of rust at the base of the porcelain (white part) and threads that were almost rusty. i replaced them with NGK platinum plugs and went out for the sort of (aggressive) drive that would have caused a misfire & check engine light in the past but it ran fine. ( i was hoping for a noticable improvement in power but was disspointed to find that it ran much like before...aside from no longer misfiring).

It may have just been plugs for me (though the jury is still out of course...i drove only a couple miles)!! But if it was a problem with the spark plugs why didn't my car have noticably more power with the new plugs??

Last edited by bagodonuts68; 10-11-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:05 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Misfire issue as well...

Any fellow Bimmers out there??
I know this post has been dormant for a while, but I am having some troubles myself, and this was the closest amount of relevant information I have found compiled in the same thread.
I am having intermediate misfiring happening on my E39 528i.

When I am driving normal speeds, below 4-5K rpms there is no detectable issue. The engine runs smooth with the excepting of a 3000 RPM occasional shimmy. I drove 1500 miles in the past month. No real issues. But...
Everytime, I dip into the throttle a bit too much, it feels like the engine just quit, and then it runs on only 5 cylinders I think I am hearing. So the check engine light comes on and i'm cruising at 50mph and i shut off the car, turn it back on and all the cylinders work. No more issue.

1. Crankshaft position sensor?
2. Cracked thermo housing?
3. Catalytic Converter?
4. Coils?? But all at once?

From the Dealer i am getting codes
10: Coolant temperature sensor. (I do have a cracked thermo housing. I have the part and am replacing it tomorrow. 03.20.12)
238,239,240,241,242,243: Misfire codes on all cylinders 1-6.
The readout from the dealer reads that the fault lamp (check engine) can be requested by faults in the transmission control unit.

I just changed my spark plugs to BOSCH double platinum, recommended OEM spark plugs.
I have been putting coolant into the reservoir infrequently.

Thoughts Gentlemen?

All the best,

CC4R1N1528
Old 05-11-2012, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: I fix BMW's in the shop
So did you find the problem? I have same issue with one of the customer's cars, swithched plugs, coils, and injectors around but nothing changed still giving code P1353 cyl 6. misfire with fuel cut off
Old 05-14-2012, 01:37 PM

Found the cut off!

After much more research i found that there were several issues to be taken care of. 1st was a faulty Crank Shaft Sensor or part #12141709616 also with a new wiring harness, it is an updated harness part #12514592703.
I also replaced the valve cover gasket, air filter, inline fuel filter, water pump, thermostat and housing, transmission flush, coolant flush, and new tires.
What I can say is this. Its still dipping power at the points I previously indicated in my last post. However, it is no longer initiating a cylinder shut off at full throttle. I have had mention of the coils being bad, that my next place to try and find the gremlins. I'll update after i replace the coils.

All the best,

Chris
Old 05-15-2012, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 6Spd 550I w Sports Pk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC4R1N1528 View Post
After much more research i found that there were several issues to be taken care of. 1st was a faulty Crank Shaft Sensor or part #12141709616 also with a new wiring harness, it is an updated harness part #12514592703.
I also replaced the valve cover gasket, air filter, inline fuel filter, water pump, thermostat and housing, transmission flush, coolant flush, and new tires.
What I can say is this. Its still dipping power at the points I previously indicated in my last post. However, it is no longer initiating a cylinder shut off at full throttle. I have had mention of the coils being bad, that my next place to try and find the gremlins. I'll update after i replace the coils.

All the best,

Chris
Im experiencing some of the same issues. Do you have any traction/abs lights that are lit??
My problem is coming from abs system. The abs module senses wheel spin and cuts the fuel off..
Old 05-15-2012, 11:13 PM

Negative

No Abs lights. That sounds like brake issues. Mine was engine.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 6Spd 550I w Sports Pk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC4R1N1528 View Post
No Abs lights. That sounds like brake issues. Mine was engine.
No sir.
Our abs units when faulty will cause your car to run like a 2 cylinder vehicle. Look it up.
And...if you have not replaced coils and plugs and maybe some fuel components, then you cant really troubleshoot.

Last edited by Big Chaze; 05-16-2012 at 07:45 AM.