Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
BMW HVAC Quality....the best?

IMO, I think BMW has a superior HVAC system (in all of their cars I've had especially the F10). I'm comparing to Audi, BMW, MB, Porsche.

It filters out a lot of outside crap...pollen, diesel fumes, exhaust odor, cigarette smoke. One of the reasons I went with the F10 was for it's ability to have good cabin air quality.

I'm very sensative to the above stuff and mold. In other high-end cars I've gotten quite sick in (and these were new cars) however I've done well with BMW.

Wanted to see what you guys/and your experience with your families say.

I went by my allergist's office today and noticed he had a new F10 528. I saw him for treatment for mold exposure, and told him I leased a new F10 (last year) primarily for its HVAC.

I rarely get a hint of outside cabin stink, and the materials inside the F10 have low off-gassing IMO. I have had good luck with cabin air in all my BMWs. As well, I think BMW is using high-quality materials that cut down on bad-offgassing.

Any experiences? If you, or your kids, or wife have odor or other allergen sensativities, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Take care.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:31 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
It's one of those things you don't necessarily focus on.

Haven't read it in the OM but I remember in my PDC delivery orientation the description of the car's ability to sense offensive exhaust and other odors and to switch to recirculate mode automatically until the smell passed.

Now if I could only get a similar functionality for passenger emissions .....

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 05-12-2012, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Does not seem to work for me. In NYC you always encounter diesel fumes and such and I always have to hit recirc before it becomes obtrusive....

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 05-12-2012, 07:33 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I do like the HVAC a lot. The one feature it does miss though is a quick clear mode where it quickly filters all the air in the cabin and goes back to regular auto mode. Useful if some contaminants/allergens get into cabin.

I wonder what kind of cabin AC filter BMW uses. Is it carbon infused? Is it a customer replaceable unit?

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 05-12-2012, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: German
^ I think the air filters have charcoal in them.

At least on the E70, they are user replaceable. No idea about the F10 though.

And back on topic, OP, I think MB gets that award. I was sitting in a S Class behind a diesel dump truck and the HVAC in that car is quite clever. It "smells" the air and closes vents as needed. BMW has a similar system, but not as sophisticated. The Camry's HVAC has a Plasma Cluster system that works very well too
Old 05-12-2012, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I wonder what kind of cabin AC filter BMW uses. Is it carbon infused? Is it a customer replaceable unit?
Yes and yes.

Pros - Allows you to turn off passenger side fan and just have driver side in use.
-Very quiet.
-Allows for fan to be turned on while car is parked and driver away.

Cons:
-Starts up on it own.
- Having that scroll wheel on the dash for hot or cold, makes no sense to me. What is the temp selector for than?
- Often blows hot air if you don't have A/C assigned.
- Rear seat controls should be standard
Old 05-12-2012, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
BMW has a similar system, but not as sophisticated.
There is an Auto mode for recirc. which puts the system to work as you say it is working in MB.
2011 F10 535i xDrive MY 01/2011 Sophisto Grey/Black
Old 05-13-2012, 01:38 AM

Mein Auto: F10 520D M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
-Starts up on it own
Why would you ever not want it on?
Quote:
- Having that scroll wheel on the dash for hot or cold, makes no sense to me. What is the temp selector for than?
That feature is incredibly useful. If you leave it in the middle, the centre vents blow air at the same temperature and flow rate as the cabin (determined by the climate control system). Moving this control skews the temperature up and down for just those vents. Don't want to use the feature? Leave the control in the middle. Want cool air on your face when the climate is demanding the car be heated? Turn it towards cool...

Another neat feature is that the middle vents have their own fan. If the fan speed is running low on the main AC system and you turn the centre vents to max cold or max hot, the air will come out of them faster than it does from the rest of the system.
Quote:
- Often blows hot air if you don't have A/C assigned.
Why would you ever turn the AC off?
Quote:
- Rear seat controls should be standard
Where do you draw the line though? There are loads of features which are optional on the car - you can't have everything for nothing?

All in all, it's a very flexible and well thought out system
Old 05-13-2012, 03:13 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelup View Post
Why would you ever not want it on?
For windows open driving.

Quote:
Why would you ever turn the AC off?
For temps below ~77F (25C).

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 05-13-2012, 03:17 AM

Mein Auto: F10 520D M-Sport
Quote:
For temps below ~77F (25C).
This is a common misunderstanding. You should leave the AC on at all times. It conditions and dehumidifies the air no matter what the temperature. It's not a 'go cold' button, it's 'air conditioning'. It doesn't help that the button has a picture of a snowflake on it...

AC is especially useful in winter as it keeps the car dry and the glass clear.

There is no reason to ever turn it off with the possible exception of when you've got the windows open but even then, what's really the point? You've only got to remember to turn it back on again.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:20 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
This is a common misunderstanding. You should leave the AC on at all times. It conditions and dehumidifies the air no matter what the temperature. It's not a 'go cold' button, it's 'air conditioning'. It doesn't help that the button has a picture of a snowflake on it...

There is no reason to ever turn it off with the possible exception of when you've got the windows open but even then, what's really the point? You've only got to remember to turn it back on again.
I really don't see a need to dehumidify the car when it is colder outside. The Winter air tends to be dry enough for me. During the warmer months, I prefer the smell of the morning air, so it's usually windows open for me during the drive to work. The snowflake is usually only illuminated by me on the ride home from work during the warmer months.
So for me, the snowflake is the "go cold" button, but it is out of choice, not misunderstanding.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:49 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
That feature is incredibly useful. If you leave it in the middle, the centre vents blow air at the same temperature and flow rate as the cabin (determined by the climate control system). Moving this control skews the temperature up and down for just those vents. Don't want to use the feature? Leave the control in the middle. Want cool air on your face when the climate is demanding the car be heated? Turn it towards cool...
+1. Thank you. This indicates that there is at least one other person than me who understands the operation of the blue/red dial. I've argued this in many other threads. Just leave it in the middle and the air will "follow" the commands of the HVAC just like all the other vents.

Quote:
All in all, it's a very flexible and well thought out system
Yes, for those who actually have experience with many other automotive climate control systems, the one in our F10's is one of the most sophisticated and responsive. I rarely if ever touch any of the controls.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 05-13-2012, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I really don't see a need to dehumidify the car when it is colder outside. The Winter air tends to be dry enough for me. During the warmer months, I prefer the smell of the morning air, so it's usually windows open for me during the drive to work. The snowflake is usually only illuminated by me on the ride home from work during the warmer months.
So for me, the snowflake is the "go cold" button, but it is out of choice, not misunderstanding.
Even though colder air may be dryer, your breath that you and passengers exhale is full of humidity that causes the interior windows to form condensation because of the outside temperature.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:42 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanschien View Post
Even though colder air may be dryer, your breath that you and passengers exhale is full of humidity that causes the interior windows to form condensation because of the outside temperature.
I've operated my cars this way for decades without problems. The trick is to keep the inside of your windows clean.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
+1. Thank you. This indicates that there is at least one other person than me who understands the operation of the blue/red dial. I've argued this in many other threads. Just leave it in the middle and the air will "follow" the commands of the HVAC just like all the other vents.

Yes, for those who actually have experience with many other automotive climate control systems, the one in our F10's is one of the most sophisticated and responsive. I rarely if ever touch any of the controls.
Count me in the group too. I find the system, while not truly "automatic", to be far more useful. In other cars, people typically fight the automatic climate control system, putting it in manual mode, turning off the A/C, or dramatically modifying the temperature. You don't need to do that with BMW. I keep the same temperature year round, using the dial to modulate the flow. I also love the intensity settings. It makes the system infinitely flexible. I can see why it would cause some confusion. I just wish I got four zone.

It's pretty smart about dealing with the windows being open too. When you open the windows, rather than the system saying, hey, it's getting hot in here, I better increase the cold air flow, it reduces it, realizing you want the windows open for a reason.

Compared to the competition, there is no comparison that I'm aware of. MB forces you in to two degree increments for most of their cars these days.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:04 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by alewifebp View Post
Count me in the group too. I find the system, while not truly "automatic", to be far more useful. In other cars, people typically fight the automatic climate control system, putting it in manual mode, turning off the A/C, or dramatically modifying the temperature. You don't need to do that with BMW. I keep the same temperature year round, using the dial to modulate the flow. I also love the intensity settings. It makes the system infinitely flexible. I can see why it would cause some confusion. I just wish I got four zone.

It's pretty smart about dealing with the windows being open too. When you open the windows, rather than the system saying, hey, it's getting hot in here, I better increase the cold air flow, it reduces it, realizing you want the windows open for a reason.

Compared to the competition, there is no comparison that I'm aware of. MB forces you in to two degree increments for most of their cars these days.
Count me in as well. I have fought auto climate controls for years in a number of cars. This one "just works" and the red / blue dial is genius.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-14-2012, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix
alewifebp wrote: "It's pretty smart about dealing with the windows being open too. When you open the windows, rather than the system saying, hey, it's getting hot in here, I better increase the cold air flow, it reduces it, realizing you want the windows open for a reason."

I concur--the BMW HVAC system is best in class, if not the industry, imo--certainly the best I have experienced.

I have a couple of questions about the HVAC. I tried looking in my 2011 F10 manual, but didn't come across information about decreased cold air flow with the windows/sunroof open. Maybe I missed it? I checked under "Climate Control" and "Sunroof Operation." or, perhaps, this feature wasn't offered in 2011 F10's? Or maybe this feature is part of a special order option?

Can you, or anyone, point me to a resource(s) with more information about this feature or option?

The reason why I ask is because I was running errands with Mrs. Bimmerific, over the weekend, here, in Northern NJ. The weather was great, and I had the sunroof open, at times, with my driver-side window down. My wife left her passenger window up, and we both noticed that the cold air flow on my side of the car was not as cold as it was on her side, even though we both set our climate controls to the same temperature. (We leave the red/blue center dial in the middle-range, between the two extremes, which we prefer). I thought, perhaps, I might need an a/c charge, and was planning to call my dealer this week to set-up a service appointment to have the matter checked, but if the reduced cold air flow is part of the HVAC system's normal operation when the windows/sunroof are in the down/open positions, there would be no point in taking-in the car. We haven't experenced this before. A related question is how long does it take the cold air flow to return to its "regular" cold temperature after the windows/sunroof are closed? Thanks in advance for whatever advice/assistance you guys (and gals) can provide us.

Bimmerific
Old 05-14-2012, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Check the intensity settings, which are settable for both the driver and passenger separately. Use the fan control buttons to change it.

I don't see the feature relating to the reduced airflow when windows are open, it is just something I noticed. Maybe I'm crazy and it really isn't happening. But it feels different than it worked in other cars.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:00 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by alewifebp View Post
Check the intensity settings, which are settable for both the driver and passenger separately. Use the fan control buttons to change it.

I don't see the feature relating to the reduced airflow when windows are open, it is just something I noticed. Maybe I'm crazy and it really isn't happening. But it feels different than it worked in other cars.
I know for a fact my Volvo monitored windows open or shut as part of the climate module parameters. I would be very surprised if a 10 year newer platform didn't do the same.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-15-2012, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: F10 535xi MSport
Quote:
Oh, oh. The new MY2013 has replaced the snowflake with A/C. dunderhi is going to be confused

Just pullin' your chain dunderhi...
2011 535i xDrive, Dark Graphite Metallic, Veneto Beige Dakota Leather, M Sport Package, 316, 322, 3AG, 5AD, 5AG, 5DL, 609, 620, 655, 677, 6FL delivered Christmas Eve '10, Mods - quad tips, 20% tint, JB4.

Last edited by Sharbotcom; 05-15-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanschien View Post
+1

Quote:

+1

Quote:
I've operated my cars this way for decades without problems. The trick is to keep the inside of your windows clean.
It has nothing to do with clean windows. A better explanation is that your breath is dry unlike everyone else.
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima
Old 05-16-2012, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i
Pitiful is my description of the A/C in my F10 550i. As long as I live in Texas I doubt I will ever buy another BMW strictly due to the anemic air conditioning.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJames View Post
Pitiful is my description of the A/C in my F10 550i. As long as I live in Texas I doubt I will ever buy another BMW strictly due to the anemic air conditioning.
Odd I am in South Florida and my car has no problem maintaining a comfortable 68 degrees. I only have a very light tint 78% VLT.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 05-16-2012, 11:05 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJames View Post
Have you competed training in the use of the red / blue scroll wheel on the dash vents?

My AC spits ice cubes at me

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 05-16-2012, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i
It sounds like I need to find another dealer. All I get is lame excuses about needing to put it on MAX cool. Even there it doesn't bring the temp down to what I know it should. My Chevy PU will spit ice cubes. The BMW sucks as far as cooling goes.