Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 645ci
Check Engine: catalytic converter-increased emission

Hi everyone,

Just purchased my bmw 2005 645 ci, however, my check engine lit up yesterday. It gave me the following message: catalytic converter-increased emission. Anyone has any idea what the problem could be? I have gone to the bmw dealership service before this to do a check up. They gave me the following recommendation: FAUL DETECTED IN D.M.E. FOR SECONDARY AIR SYSTEM. Do you think it has any connection with the engine check?

I'm in desperation. Thanks
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2011, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 645CI
BMW E63 E64 Fault code

I have a 2004 645ci with the exact same error code. I took my car to the dealership I have always taken it too, and they can not figure out the problem. I paid over $550 in dignostic fees. The dealers reccommendation is to replace the engine because get this... they now have "service technicians" not "mechinics" in their bays who can open up the engine and find out what might be wrong!! Dumbasses!! All those idiots know to do is run a dignostic and if it comes back inconculsive well time for a new engine!

Ok enough of me venting...

I was wondering:

1.) Does your car run normal, or is it sputtering or shaking when you start it?

2.) Have you taken the car on the highway and opened it up? Might help disloge some carbon build up.

In my case I have opted to buy a code scanner off ebay to see what is really going on myself. I would suggest if you know someone with a scanner or can shell out a few bucks to buy one it's a good idea. and do not execute my point number "2" just yet, in case you have a faulty oxygen sensor, might screw up your catalytic converter.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645sc
I have an 05 645ci and have the same problem on start up but car runs fine. I'm having battery issues with charge lasting a few days but indicator light on battery is green. I will be watching your posts. I have cold weather package and cant seem to find the correct replacement battery. Any info on that? My battery measures 15 3/4 inches long rather than the 12 7/16 standard battery.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to Beahmer
Mein Auto: '05 - 645CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Loparo View Post
I have an 05 645ci and have the same problem on start up but car runs fine. I'm having battery issues with charge lasting a few days but indicator light on battery is green. I will be watching your posts. I have cold weather package and cant seem to find the correct replacement battery. Any info on that? My battery measures 15 3/4 inches long rather than the 12 7/16 standard battery.
I ended up having mine replaced last winter... it was $500 and included all the reprograming
Old 05-06-2011, 09:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Beahmer
Mein Auto: '05 - 645CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleg2970 View Post
Hi everyone,

Just purchased my bmw 2005 645 ci, however, my check engine lit up yesterday. It gave me the following message: catalytic converter-increased emission. Anyone has any idea what the problem could be? I have gone to the bmw dealership service before this to do a check up. They gave me the following recommendation: FAUL DETECTED IN D.M.E. FOR SECONDARY AIR SYSTEM. Do you think it has any connection with the engine check?

I'm in desperation. Thanks
Just had mine in the dealership for service and this issue. Service advisor says they were able to determine that the air pipe for the secondary system has a crack in it... get this.. its mad of plastic.... so its not covered under my CPO or Extended maintenance... - good news its only comes and goes so ill wait.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:38 AM

Mein Auto: 645
i dont kno if this may help or not but wen mine engine light lit up and the " increse emssion" or watever , so i took it to auto zone just to get it check ed thru their portable handheld machine thing lol and it said read that one fo my cylinder spark and coil was bad so i replaced it and reset the light and now its back to normal but not quite becuz i found out wen replaceing the spark plugs and coil that it had oil in that cylinder so now i need to get that fix with new head gasket : (
Old 09-26-2011, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645
Had the same warning light come up and did not want to go away. I thought the light came on due to low or bad gas. I did not drive the car (2005 645ci) for a month since I was on vacation. So i thought this had something to do with it. A day or two passed and the car would shake at red lights or during complete stops. I took it in for a brake fluid service at DTM Auto Salon and they ran a free diagnostic (comes with service). These were the errors/faults 29e8, 29f0, 29f0 and 29f0 = lean mixture faults bound both side crank case vent valves leaking air. The owner explained that unless he car shut off constantly then I should replace both and not to get aftermarket parts. He went to explain that the car makes a whistling nose when the CCV has a small hole. lol thats the noise i hear while pulling into my car garage when it shut down. I put a full tank of gas and the car has not stalled again. I do plan on getting it fixed. the cost is $180. If any one know a link to DIY please help. I'm hopping that we only need to remove the engine cover and it should be right on top (left and right). I bought BG 44k in case i needed a fuel injection clean which i though caused the car to stop (idle).
Old 03-14-2012, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 530I
2 years have had same problem bmw diagnosed secondary air leak, would not pass inspection if not fixed, did pass. It has been occurring intermittently without any particular reason 2005 645ic
Old 03-22-2012, 09:58 PM
BM6er

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645ci
I received this same warning light. Check out this write up since it may be the source of your problem. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=572330

Usually the rubber diaphram will rupture and cause an emissions fault code. It would also be a great idea to purchase a OBDII scan tool from your local Autozone or Discount Auto in order to see what codes are flashing. It has proven to be a valuable tool thus far.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
I just got this error the other day one week after spending $2000 on a coolant leak. Turns out the engine didn't like the gas. I ran thru that tank and put in 93 octane...and BINGO, problem solved.

Hope you have similar luck.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Old 05-16-2012, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 4.8is
heres a picture of my secondary air valve when i was getting the same code. the clip holding the plastic hose to one of the valves broke, so the hose wasnt connected properly. the code would come and go. replaced both secondary air valves and the hoses leading to them. never had a problem since. also had a chance to clean up some of the carbon buildup / cleaned fuel injectors while i was in there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	123.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	325340