Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-15-2012, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: 03 540 M sport
unlocked the car and the normal 2 blinks kept going ?

After dinner the other day we made out way back to the car and when i pushed the unlock button twice (for all doors) it just kept blinking.

I recall i locked it again and retried the unlocking and it blinked twice as normal.

It the car trying to tell me something ?

I checked it over and no dings or dents from a hit , windows were up ar just about fully up.

any ideas ?

Thanks , Martin

e39 540 sport
Ads by Google
Old 05-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 530i E39
Im not certain but I think it only does that if the alarm was set off while you are away, the extra blinks notify you that the alarm was previously triggered.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmarty View Post
...when i pushed the unlock button twice (for all doors) it just kept blinking.

What is "it" when you say "it just kept blinking"? (Remember to be specific when posting issues...as it may not be clear to us that are reading your inquiry. Without pics, video, or audio..we only have the info and details that you give us to "paint-the-picture". The more accurate and detailed posts...receive the better suggestions and replies that don't send the poster down the wrong path or having the forum post up inaccurate suggestions. )

The exterior lights can be programmed to blink as a visual alert when the DWA (anti-theft alarm siren system) has been activated or deactivated...and there's also the DWA red LED (clown nose) below the rear view mirror. Which one of these lights continued to blink when you deactivated the DWA system?

If it was the exterior lights...it could be something as simple as the early warning of your car's battery starting to drop voltage. How old is your car's battery? Have you been having any odd HVAC symptoms like the fan acting erratically or continuing to run after the car is shut down?

If it was the interior "clown nose" that continued to blink...see the info below...it could possibly be a response to the DWA system having been activated legitimately (someone bumped into your car & activated the tilt sensor...or you left a window or sunroof cracked open and an insect flew inside and activated the interior motion sensor). Or it could be a faulty monitor in the system that is not opening/closing properly:

Below is more detailed info about the DWA system for anyone who "didn't know" how the system works:

Interior motion sensor & tilt sensor info:

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 05-16-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: '01 540i 6sp '01 X5 4.4
we're not worthy
Old 05-16-2012, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 02 525iA 93 NSX 67 Linc
O/T I have nothing to add to this post, but would like to say that when "Q" responds to a thread (like many others)he gives you what you are looking for and then some..my hat goes off to you!!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 03 540 M sport
Wow Q you know your bmw's.

After reading the info i think i need to clarify what was blinking.

When i arm and dis arm the yellow turn signals blink to confirm.

I was about 20 ft away approaching from the back of car.

Saw the rear turn signal lights blink twice and the beeper beeped twice also.

Then the beeper stopped (after the normal 2 beeps) but the signals kept blinking.

Went on for about 3-4 seconds then i re-armed the car (1 beep and blink) then dis armed the car a few seconds later again. This time it blinked and beeped twice as normal.

Martin

Last edited by rcmarty; 05-16-2012 at 07:34 PM.