Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 05-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 M3 Coupe SMG
You'll have to learn it. It's not hard to learn, but getting good at it takes a bit more time. You kind of learn to anticipate what the smg is going to do. This way you can get very smooth shifts.
Until then, you'll get a bit frustrated sometimes. It will come, don't worry
And yeah, from time to time you WILL run into the hickup thing.. where it jerks wildly. Hopefully this won't happen when you're trying to impress someone :-)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3 Convertible
well that would be nice. Maybe I'll google it (how to race).. haha jk

Yeah I have to admit... i wanted a convertible so bad, but now that I have one, I feel awkward like people are staring at me... its just a bunch to get use to from a trailblazer.. see I've been given two cars, my mom gave me a 97 isuzu rodeo (5spd man) when I was in highschool (thanks mom) and then my in laws gave me a trailblazer.. so I finally decided to buy something that I wanted and picked out and its just such a change. And learning the SMG is so funny compared to a true manual. I dont ever put it in D though. No point. I have fun with it.
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil. 4:13

Last edited by e46RedHead; 05-17-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325i (SMG)
Boglow

Yo Boglow,

Background:
In finals, in college, and lost about 6 hours of sleep last night. Laying in bed decided to find out how to make my 2004 325i (SMG obviously) run better. I bought my car 6 months ago, loved every second of it until my transmission was acting up.

I was getting the clacking/metal grinding in first gear along with aggressive shifting making me feel like my passengers were uncomfortable, not to mention I was at times.

You are the only one in my 3 hour search that said anything productive. The rest are asking what SMG does lol. I feel like i'm driving a brand new car, and it reset everything perfectly. I hoped for this result last night thinking it was too much wishful thinking. Just wanted to say thanks... so much so I created an account to let you know haha

Cant thank you enough

IF ANYONE IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH SMG SHIFTING OR WANTS AN SMG TRANSMISSION RESET DO THIS... IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boglow View Post
The smg adapts to how you drive and shift. So you have to reset it when you get it.to do so drive up to 40mph and shift into N then pull both if the paddle shifters back and let the gas go. So the car is crusing for around 15 sec then shift back to drive and carry on.
You won't feel anything however but the car should feels better when shifting and that's hoe you do it.its in the owners Manuel ad well