Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i
OK, here it is - BMW round two - The New Order.

OK, here is the planned build Iíll be putting to about three local dealerships today or tomorrow (all owned by somebody else) Iím particularly hopeful that one specific dealership will be the low-offer because I like the staff, but not so much that Iím willing to pay $1000ís extra. As some will remember, I ordered a 535i about this time last year and the dealer messed it up Ė in some ways Iím glad, this car is essentially nothing like the one I ordered last year Ė go figureÖ

2012 535i: BASE MSRP (w/ dest) $53,395
Exterior Color: Alpine White (80% likelihood) Alternative is Jet Black. I considered Sapphire but decided I preferred the inky-black to the metal flake.

Interior Color: Venetian Beige, lightwood trim, Anthracite headliner (assumes Sports Pak). I went round and round on this Ė Oyster is great but can make the interior look cold Ė and I have enough of that in Seattle already. Itís great for the black carpet and lower door panels, but you trade that away with the super light seats. I looked at a few on dealer lots Ė one had only been out +/- a few weeks and you could clearly see marks, stains and wear. If you had time to keep up on maintenance, didnít have kids and or didnít wear dark cloths likely to transfer color (I do / have all of these) then Iím sure itís fantastic. Venetian isnít much better in some ways but Iíve had cars with similar color interior and itís just easier to protect light carpets and doors than it is seats IMHO. Black was an option too but I want the light wood and Iíve never seen that combo in person.

Options:

205 Ė Steptronic Auto transmission
5DL Ė Side & Top View Cameras
610 Ė Head-Up Display
ZCW Ė Cold Weather Package (I want the split-fold seats and heated front seats; itís not much more just to get the entire package than do it ala-cart)
ZPP Ė Premium package.
ZTP Ė Technology Package

Still debatable at this point:

ZSP Ė Sports Package. I like the Anthracite headliner and the standard Steering wheel didnít feel as good as I thought it should, so the upgraded sports wheel would be nice. DDC is a nice add too, only I drove multiple non-sport cars and to be honest, didnít think there was anything ďmissingĒ as far as ride goes. I actually prefer the chrome window surround and itís a toss-up between the standard 18Ē wheels and the 19Ē sports-pack version. 19Ē design looks easier to clean, I guess. Either way, Iíll get the multi-contour seats, so I need to decide if the extra $2300 for the sports package is worth it for a thicker steering wheel, dark headliner and adjustable dampers that may, or may not, actually matter to me.

My guess is Iíll add the Sports package, but itís still up for debate.

MSRP, including sports package and Destination comes to $64395 Invoice around $59210

- 2012 BMW 535i
- 1957 Chevrolet Belair
- 1966 Cadillac Deville
- 1978 Corvette
- 1979 Ford F250 w/460
Ads by Google
Old 05-16-2012, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
I assume you have seen the 2013 changes? Some appear to have been able to get more car for less on paper based on the new, but confusing option packages and individual color choices.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
I assume you have seen the 2013 changes? Some appear to have been able to get more car for less on paper based on the new, but confusing option packages and individual color choices.
Yea, I ran the build that way too and it ends up about $960 less, but I'd miss out on a few things, most notably the athracite headliner and Sports steering wheel.

- 2012 BMW 535i
- 1957 Chevrolet Belair
- 1966 Cadillac Deville
- 1978 Corvette
- 1979 Ford F250 w/460
Old 05-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Can you even order a 2012 at this point? Or have the order books not yet closed?

Also, sport package doesn't include the anthracite headliner, only MSport.

I'd do a 2013 if only for the better nav!! If you have to wait, so be it! Anything has to be better than the current nav. Plus, if you're ordering, why would you want the older MY on your build?

Also, get the pricing from your local dealer...then contact Greg Poland at Pacific BMW. I bet he saves enough on your build that you'll be ahead even with a plane ticket down to pick the car up!

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 05-16-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Can you even order a 2012 at this point? Or have the order books not yet closed?

Also, sport package doesn't include the anthracite headliner, only MSport.

I'd do a 2013 if only for the better nav!! If you have to wait, so be it! Anything has to be better than the current nav. Plus, if you're ordering, why would you want the older MY on your build?

Also, get the pricing from your local dealer...then contact Greg Poland at Pacific BMW. I bet he saves enough on your build that you'll be ahead even with a plane ticket down to pick the car up!

No idea if i can order a 2012 still.

Sports package does include athracite headliner, according to the BMW configurator.

There are trade-offs on the 2013 I'd rather not make, Athracite headliner being one of them (only available with M-Sport or ZL1 for 2013).

- 2012 BMW 535i
- 1957 Chevrolet Belair
- 1966 Cadillac Deville
- 1978 Corvette
- 1979 Ford F250 w/460
Old 05-16-2012, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
You will also want premium sound.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imothph View Post
No idea if i can order a 2012 still.

Sports package does include athracite headliner, according to the BMW configurator.

There are trade-offs on the 2013 I'd rather not make, Athracite headliner being one of them (only available with M-Sport or ZL1 for 2013).
Not only does the configuration say that Sports Pkg includes anthracite headliner, it in fact is true based on my car.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1953 View Post
Not only does the configuration say that Sports Pkg includes anthracite headliner, it in fact is true based on my car.
Must have been a change for 2012 that I missed....

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-16-2012, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
I think you might be overlooking the other value of the Sport Package: the option to get the Sport Automatic Transmission.

That might be one of my favorite options on my car, and when I ordered it, it was mostly for interior aesthetic reasons because the shifter looks so much better than the steptronic.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 05-16-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
I think you might be overlooking the other value of the Sport Package: the option to get the Sport Automatic Transmission.

That might be one of my favorite options on my car, and when I ordered it, it was mostly for interior aesthetic reasons because the shifter looks so much better than the steptronic.
Most definitely.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: German
Why wouldn't you wait for MY13?

You get the new LCD gauges and the new updated iDrive. I would give up a headliner to get updated electrics
Old 05-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post

You get the new LCD gauges and the new updated iDrive. I would give up a headliner to get updated electrics
Seriously.

And you can probably get anthracite headliner through individual.....

Old 05-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Well, here's my thinking:

LCD gauges: Not a fan to be honest. I like the current gauges and even though I'd be ok with the new ones, Its not a "gain" for me

Updated iDrive - I hate them all. updated or otherwise ;-) Im not sure what's getting updated, I'll look into it.

As for the model year itself - if I configure my car the same way, I need to give up the sports steering wheel (so back to the thin / harder standard wheel) No athracite headliner and I'll have the standard 18" wheels versus the current model 19" available with the sports package. Only real gain is blind spot detection. Its also $960 cheaper, but I'd pay that for a steering wheel that feels right - and the $1500 option incentive applies to 2012 only.

- 2012 BMW 535i
- 1957 Chevrolet Belair
- 1966 Cadillac Deville
- 1978 Corvette
- 1979 Ford F250 w/460
Old 05-16-2012, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:

LCD gauges: Not a fan to be honest. I like the current gauges and even though I'd be ok with the new ones, Its not a "gain" for me

Updated iDrive - I hate them all. updated or otherwise ;-) Im not sure what's getting updated, I'll look into it.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=620468

Higher-res display, better routing, deeper Google integration.

Think about it this way. Once you're ready to sell, used car buyers will flock to the MY13s, instead of the MY11 and MY12, due to this iDrive and LCD gauges upgrades.

For example, first MY of the E90 M3 had the older iDrive, and then BMW added it the next year. The CIC-iDrive M3s command a higher resale and more wanted in the second hand market. Same goes for the E70.

Quote:
As for the model year itself - if I configure my car the same way, I need to give up the sports steering wheel (so back to the thin / harder standard wheel) No athracite headliner and I'll have the standard 18" wheels versus the current model 19" available with the sports package. Only real gain is blind spot detection. Its also $960 cheaper, but I'd pay that for a steering wheel that feels right - and the $1500 option incentive applies to 2012 only.
Here, you're assuming that BMW won't have any incentives on the MY13 models. BMW thrives on invectives and moves as many 5s as it does because of the discounts. There is no way, the MY13s won't be discounted.

It's all up in the air IMO. Personally, I'd forget about a black headliner in a couple days, but the iDrive, I deal with that **** everyday. Might as well make it the most updated.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
Quote:

How do you know the $1500 only applies to 2012? Been looking in to that myself, no answer yet.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianfahey View Post
How do you know the $1500 only applies to 2012? Been looking in to that myself, no answer yet.

Well, mostly because the offer on dealer websites specifically says 2012 models and the current incentives from BMW NA's site are obviously tied to 2012 because they don't have any 2013 5-series offers at all yet. I think its likely there will be some sort of incentive every month through the end of the year, including the 2013s, but we wont know what those are until the 2013 models roll out and BMW starts publishing offers specific to 2013.

Fair to say that I don't know for sure, but there's nothing to suggest a published offer on 2012's will extend to 2013 when those models roll. I suppose I could ask and find out.

- 2012 BMW 535i
- 1957 Chevrolet Belair
- 1966 Cadillac Deville
- 1978 Corvette
- 1979 Ford F250 w/460
Old 05-17-2012, 01:24 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Quote:
Well, mostly because the offer on dealer websites specifically says 2012 models and the current incentives from BMW NA's site are obviously tied to 2012 because they don't have any 2013 5-series offers at all yet. I think its likely there will be some sort of incentive every month through the end of the year, including the 2013s, but we wont know what those are until the 2013 models roll out and BMW starts publishing offers specific to 2013.

Fair to say that I don't know for sure, but there's nothing to suggest a published offer on 2012's will extend to 2013 when those models roll. I suppose I could ask and find out.
It does ...i ask one of the forum sponsors!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 05-17-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
BMW thrives on invectives and moves as many 5s as it does because of the discounts.
LOL.

Compare BMW's incentives as a % of MSRP vs. other manufacturers, especially domestic.

You'll see some seriously scary crap.