Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Hemorrhage Hemorrhage is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
Choosing A Car To Go Fast.

Hello,

I hope this is in the correct forum. If not...feel free to move.



So, messing around with cars and modding cars is becoming an interest of mine. Hell, it's starting to become a career. In time, I want to be able to mod my own car. But, the first step has me puzzled...

How do you go about choosing what kind of car you want to mod? Seems like it'd be a straight-forward answer, but here's what's going through my head.

I love Corvettes.
I love Supras.
I love, love, LOVE the Porsche 911 Turbo.
I love the M-series BMWs.

A new M-series BMW with low miles is far too expensive. So, that's out of the question.
The Porsche 911 Turbo with low miles is far too expensive. So, that's out of the question.

The reason I love those two cars, is because they seem so...well-built. So high-tech, durable, and just...built correctly. Bone stock, they're already phenomenal cars.
But, I want more than phenomenal when it comes to "going fast".

This is where the confusion comes in. For probably a smaller price, I could buy a Z06 or a Supra for roughly $20k, and build it to go faster than the Porsche and BMW. However, I can't change the engineering.

Would the Supra/Vette be as durable to the power as the Porsche/BMW?
Would the performance be as well as the Porsche/BMW (probably not)?
Etc.


What it comes down to is...
Should I buy a not-as-expensive car and build it up?
Or should I save my money to get a more expensive car that already comes phenomenal stock and replace fewer parts?

Keep in mind, I'm still a nooby with cars...I'm only thinking for the future...not the here and now.
If I am misinformed about anything, please correct me.


Thanks.

Last edited by Hemorrhage; 05-17-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 05-18-2012, 03:32 AM
cwsqbm's Avatar
cwsqbm cwsqbm is offline
Dreaming of Track Days
Location: Somewhere in the aether
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,043
Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
When choosing a car to go fast, the question is how are you going to go fast? On the street, or on a track? If on the street, just don't. Street racing is for idiots. If on a track, drag racing or a road course? If on a road course, what's your current skill level (best to be very good driver before modding)? Also, on a road course, what car you buy will depends on what events you want to be involved in. Personally, I'd buy a much cheaper car and set it up for a specific racing class that has a high level of participation - racing is expensive even with cheap cars.

If drag racing, buy someone else's race car as a starting point.
__________________
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Hemorrhage Hemorrhage is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
When choosing a car to go fast, the question is how are you going to go fast? On the street, or on a track? If on the street, just don't. Street racing is for idiots. If on a track, drag racing or a road course? If on a road course, what's your current skill level (best to be very good driver before modding)? Also, on a road course, what car you buy will depends on what events you want to be involved in. Personally, I'd buy a much cheaper car and set it up for a specific racing class that has a high level of participation - racing is expensive even with cheap cars.

If drag racing, buy someone else's race car as a starting point.
I'm thinking a track car might be the best option. I mainly want a highway monster and a track monster.

Drag racing is harder on a car, isn't it?
If possible, I'd like to build a bulletproof car (willing to put the money forth), but that seems impossible if you're going to drag race. Am I right?

As for driving experience...below entry level .
But, yes. Taking lessons is something I plan on doing before I mod my car.
The last thing I want to do is fishtail off the start and die.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-18-2012, 08:50 AM
cwsqbm's Avatar
cwsqbm cwsqbm is offline
Dreaming of Track Days
Location: Somewhere in the aether
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,043
Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemorrhage View Post
I'm thinking a track car might be the best option. I mainly want a highway monster and a track monster.

Drag racing is harder on a car, isn't it?
If possible, I'd like to build a bulletproof car (willing to put the money forth), but that seems impossible if you're going to drag race. Am I right?

As for driving experience...below entry level .
But, yes. Taking lessons is something I plan on doing before I mod my car.
The last thing I want to do is fishtail off the start and die.
Then start with driving schools and worry about the car later. A completely stock BMW is more than capable tool for track use while learning. A better driver in a stock car is capable of embarrassing a much faster car with a novice driver - I've seen an E36 318i LAP an e46 M3. Wouldn't you feel silly to have a modded Corvette, only to get passed by a guy in a older stock 3-series BMW? Or worse, a Miata?

Drag racing doesn't really interest me. There's not as much skill involved, and its mostly about how the car is built and not the driver. In that regard, there's always someone with more money and/or more willing to take his car closer to (or over) the edge of what's streetable and durable. Plus, I'd rather be on the track for 25 minutes at a time, instead of 12 seconds or less.

EDIT: MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS (Pyramid of Speed).
__________________
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................

Last edited by cwsqbm; 05-18-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Hemorrhage Hemorrhage is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
Mind telling me what the difference between a track car and a drag car is? I understand a track car is more vital on handling, braking, etc...

But couldn't you modify something like a GTR to run a quarter mile in 8sec and have the 100% best of both worlds?

What I'm asking is...would it be stupid to make an 8sec car a track car?

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-18-2012, 04:21 PM
cwsqbm's Avatar
cwsqbm cwsqbm is offline
Dreaming of Track Days
Location: Somewhere in the aether
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,043
Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
The setup of a road-course car is completely different than for drag racing. To make a car do both, you end up with a car that's not the best at either. If you can't afford a new 911 Turbo, don't worry about it, because some guy with money will always be faster. Just go out and enjoy what you have.
__________________
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Hemorrhage Hemorrhage is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
The setup of a road-course car is completely different than for drag racing. To make a car do both, you end up with a car that's not the best at either. If you can't afford a new 911 Turbo, don't worry about it, because some guy with money will always be faster. Just go out and enjoy what you have.
I know.
It's something I've accepted long ago.
I don't aspire to be the best at anything.
I aspire to be more than good at everything I put my time into.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms