Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 04-28-2012, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 740 LI (Sold)
750LI vs S500L

Hey Guys,

I have been a member for a few months but havent posted a lot as I am learning more about these cars.
I have just sold my 2008 BMW 740li and would like to purchase a new car. I am currently in between two cars. The Mercedes 2007 S500L (full 2012 exterior conversion) and the 2009 BMW 750li. Both cars are great. My main concern is comfort. I have sat in the new 750 at the dealership and dont find the seats as comfortable, but friends of mine tell me the driving dynamics are a lot better then the S-Class. The S-Class on the other hand is outdated and due for a new look in 2013 as ive been told.

The 750LI that is being offered to me has lane departure, night vision, laser guided CC, side view assist, Front and rear comfort electric seats etc...

The S-Class has similar options but less then the technologically advanced 750il.

I would like to ask you about your opinions on both of these vehicles.

Have any of you owned both? If so what are your comments regarding both cars?

Thank you all in advance for your responses! I really appreciate it.

Thank you

Kind Regards,
MRajeh

Last edited by Mrajeh; 04-28-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 AM

Hey Guys,

Any help at all would be appreciated!

Thank you

Kind Regards,
MRajeh
Old 04-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: MB S500/750Li Individual
I don't own an S500L for that year, but have sat in one and currently own an S-Class before that, but I believe my impressions of having comparable cars from both manufactures will apply to your newer cars.

These two cars are entirely different in my opinion.

The Mercedes is the car you go for if you desire pure, uncompromised luxury and comfort. Honestly I don't think the S-Class is outdated at all, despite the fact a redesign is due next year. And finding one with Active Body Control will certainly give the BMW dynamics; however even without it, the car handles pretty well. Both cars can be found with the same options.

The BMW on the other hand is a luxury car that lose a little bit of noticeable ride comfort and noise insulation in return for better driving dynamics and feel. You should be more aware of what the car is doing than in the Mercedes. However, it is still pretty good in terms of luxury.

The better car is the one with the feature you prefer: Pure luxury limo or sports limo. If you find the Mercedes more comfortable, I would say to continue searching for a Mercedes until you find one with the options you like; if you thrash the car a bit most of the time, the BMW will be better for spirited driving. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either option.

2008 BMW Individual E66 750Li
2006 Mercedes-Benz S500 W220
Old 04-29-2012, 04:18 PM

Hi Carboy,

Thank you very much for your reply. I agree both cars are great. I am waiting on the options list for the Merc, the bmw has every option except the tv's in the back as well as free services til dec 2013 and has a warranty from the day i purchase it for one year. Wish me luck!

Thank you again!

Kind Regards,
MRajeh
Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
I'd also agree with Carboy7's assesment. We have a '12 750 but had originally been leaning towards a S550. We rented an '09 for 3 days and were in love with the luxurious ride and interior. It was certainly not nearly as engaging as the BMW and the technology was really, really dated (ie. that gen COMAND sucks...badly). I still think the S-class exudes class and carries a presence that the 7 never will. That being said, I'm constantly surprised how well the 7 carries itself for a land yacht and am more than happy with where we ended up.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 05-18-2012, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750Li
I recently shopped both of these cars. The end result for me was that I wanted the sporty performance more than pure luxury. If you prefer Luxury over performance, then the Mercedes is the car for you.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:20 PM
BMW rocks!

Mein Auto: 2013 750I M
Me too, i shpped between a 08 S550 AMG and the 750li individual pkg. Guess which one I chose? in my opinion, if you want status and comfort, go for the Benz, if you want driving fun and luxury, the 7 is the best choice. Just test drive both and go with your feeling. Happy car shopping.

2013 750i M, 2014 X1

Last edited by Individual750LI; 05-19-2012 at 11:21 PM.