Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 528xi
2012 528xi rough engine startup

When I first start the engine, even when it's 80 degrees out and it's been sitting in the sun all day, the engine is very loud for the first 30 seconds or so. It doesn't seem to be revving high, but it sounds like a belt or some mechanical part is extremely loud. But if you listen, you can hear it get noticeably quieter within about 30 seconds or so.

I've also noticed that after a cold start as described above, if I drive a short distance, and then put it in park, the engine is also running a bit loud. I popped the hood, and one of the tubes was visually vibrating quite a bit while the engine is running. Not sure if the tube was making the noise, or the belt below it, but something the engine was definitely sounding funny.

Anybody experience this on the 2012 builds? Note, the engine runs just fine while driving, and accelerating and breaking are buttery smooth as they should be. I also throw it into drive pretty much right after I start it, and no problems. The sounds are just when I first start it up, and when i put it in park.
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2012, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 528ix
I have a 2012 528ix with 800 miles. Mine sounds a little rough, but normal. If you read some of the 2012 528 reviews, they all mention the "diesel sounding engine" at start up, and all indicate it quiets down shortly. Many of the articles refer to this as normal for a 4cyl engine. Im not suggesting your engine as normal, as some of what you describe sounds atypical, but I can tell you mine sounds a little rough at start up as well but seems to be in line with what i am reading in all the reviews. Hope this helps. Overall, love the car, and love getting 40 miles on the highway in eco mode. Amazing technology.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybn View Post
I have a 2012 528ix with 800 miles. Mine sounds a little rough, but normal. If you read some of the 2012 528 reviews, they all mention the "diesel sounding engine" at start up, and all indicate it quiets down shortly. Many of the articles refer to this as normal for a 4cyl engine. Im not suggesting your engine as normal, as some of what you describe sounds atypical, but I can tell you mine sounds a little rough at start up as well but seems to be in line with what i am reading in all the reviews. Hope this helps. Overall, love the car, and love getting 40 miles on the highway in eco mode. Amazing technology.
I've already put about 3300 miles on it. Do you experience the engine noise described when you put it in park?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 528ix
I experience it when I start the car up in the morning, while it is in Park. To be honest, I havent really taken notice to it unless I specifically start it up and stand next to it specifically looking for it. Its sounds rough, but no different than previous 4 cyc cars Ive owned. I have to admit, the 528 does sound a bit more rough than others. I would have to go back and look at the reviews which tend to describe it as normal and typical of a 4cyc engine. Next time I drive it and stop, Ill see whether the noise is the same when warm and in park. Ive never opened my hood yet with it running to see if anything is vibrating but now im curious so ill take a look
Old 05-17-2012, 11:39 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
It' sounds like cr*p in the morning, but it goes away quickly
Old 05-17-2012, 11:59 PM

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
I have a 2012 535i and I've actually noticed this once or twice when I'd turn on the car and gather some things in the garage while it warms up. I thought it sounded unusually loud but it goes away after several seconds. Not a complaint but just an observation....
Old 05-18-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
I have a 2012 535i and I've actually noticed this once or twice when I'd turn on the car and gather some things in the garage while it warms up. I thought it sounded unusually loud but it goes away after several seconds. Not a complaint but just an observation....
It's butter compared to the N20. I had a N20 528i for a couple days and it sounds like a diesel at start up but goes away. I actually didn't mind it cause I was kinda expecting it and I have driven the 328i a couple times. But I can see how someone who was used to driving port injected cars, and not a gearhead would mistake this for a mechanical problem.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
It's butter compared to the N20. I had a N20 528i for a couple days and it sounds like a diesel at start up but goes away. I actually didn't mind it cause I was kinda expecting it and I have driven the 328i a couple times. But I can see how someone who was used to driving port injected cars, and not a gearhead would mistake this for a mechanical problem.
I'm just asking if this is normal. It sounds like everybody is assuming this is normal because it goes away after a few seconds, but nobody has ever checked it out why it's doing that at a dealer? It's kinda embarrassing when your friends who drive a Kia ask you "why does your new BMW engines sound so loud at startup?" and the best answer is "oh, it's supposed to do that."
Old 05-18-2012, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I was a bit taken back as well when I first heard the N20 while its cold. It sounded like there was something wrong with the engine. The noise may be the price one has to pay to squeeze so much horsepower out of a 2.0L 4 cyl. engine.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:24 AM

Has anybody asked this question when taking it for service? I'd imagine lots of people would be concerned when their BMW sounds like a tractor when it first starts up, even for just a few seconds. I only have 3k, so not sure if I should make a trip to the dealer just for this, or if I should wait till it's service time at 12k.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:39 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
I think the fact that so many of us (including myself) have experienced the same thing would indicate that it's normal.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-18-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I think the fact that so many of us (including myself) have experienced the same thing would indicate that it's normal.
Hmm. A lot of us also experienced pulling to the right... I guess that must be normal too
Old 05-18-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeo3000 View Post
I'm just asking if this is normal. It sounds like everybody is assuming this is normal because it goes away after a few seconds, but nobody has ever checked it out why it's doing that at a dealer? It's kinda embarrassing when your friends who drive a Kia ask you "why does your new BMW engines sound so loud at startup?" and the best answer is "oh, it's supposed to do that."
You can tell your friend. The Kia Optima 2.0T does the exact same thing. And it's because the two engines share similar architecture. If you want to know why, it's because of small displacement,high compression,direct injection,and emissions regulation.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
You can tell your friend. The Kia Optima 2.0T does the exact same thing. And it's because the two engines share similar architecture. If you want to know why, it's because of small displacement,high compression,direct injection,and emissions regulation.
I only said Kia because that's the first ****ty car that came to mind. Maybe I should've said Hyundai instead. Really the friend in question drives a Mustang GT and thinks his car is so much better than my 528 cause he can beat me in a race and he paid a third of the price.

Either way though, I am curious as to why a luxury car engine sounds like a tractor. I'll have to read up on the compression/displacement things you mentioned.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I only said Kia because that's the first ****ty car that came to mind. Maybe I should've said Hyundai instead. Really the friend in question drives a Mustang GT and thinks his car is so much better than my 528 cause he can beat me in a race and he paid a third of the price.

Either way though, I am curious as to why a luxury car engine sounds like a tractor. I'll have to read up on the compression/displacement things you mentioned.
You're living in the past if you think Kia's and Hyundai's are $hitty. A Equus Ultimate is $66,900 sticker.
Your friends Mustang may beat you in a race but in a couple years his car is going to be a rattlebox and your car will still be a vault. Sure he can beat you in a race but you car is not about that. It's a luxury cruiser that can get 30mpg and carry 5 people in comfort and style yet still provide an entertaining drive.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
You're living in the past if you think Kia's and Hyundai's are $hitty. A Equus Ultimate is $66,900 sticker.
Your friends Mustang may beat you in a race but in a couple years his car is going to be a rattlebox and your car will still be a vault. Sure he can beat you in a race but you car is not about that. It's a luxury cruiser that can get 30mpg and carry 5 people in comfort and style yet still provide an entertaining drive.

That sticker price is higher than a 535, but I don't think you're saying that makes it a better car than the 535 by any standards. You usually get what you pay for, but not always.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i P,S,T,H
I have 6k on my car and the loud rattle start ups every morning STILL annoys me for the first few seconds. Seems like cold start up rattles are getting louder as I put more miles on the car.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I was a bit taken back as well when I first heard the N20 while its cold. It sounded like there was something wrong with the engine. The noise may be the price one has to pay to squeeze so much horsepower out of a 2.0L 4 cyl. engine.
Must be a BMW thing. VAG's 2.0T sounds like a diesel in the morning, but no where near as unrefined sounding as the N20
Old 05-19-2012, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i conv.
Quote:
When I first start the engine, even when it's 80 degrees out and it's been sitting in the sun all day, the engine is very loud for the first 30 seconds or so. It doesn't seem to be revving high, but it sounds like a belt or some mechanical part is extremely loud. But if you listen, you can hear it get noticeably quieter within about 30 seconds or so.

I've also noticed that after a cold start as described above, if I drive a short distance, and then put it in park, the engine is also running a bit loud. I popped the hood, and one of the tubes was visually vibrating quite a bit while the engine is running. Not sure if the tube was making the noise, or the belt below it, but something the engine was definitely sounding funny.

Anybody experience this on the 2012 builds? Note, the engine runs just fine while driving, and accelerating and breaking are buttery smooth as they should be. I also throw it into drive pretty much right after I start it, and no problems. The sounds are just when I first start it up, and when i put it in park.

What gas do you use on your car? I had a similar issue, and read recommendations on here to switch to different gas. I switched from Costco gas to Chevron and it has made a world of a difference.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjaygb View Post
What gas do you use on your car? I had a similar issue, and read recommendations on here to switch to different gas. I switched from Costco gas to Chevron and it has made a world of a difference.
I only put in 93 grade, but always from wawa or gulf. I never really believed that there's actually any difference between the BP and the Chevron gas that they try to hype up, but i never tried to compare.