Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-21-2012, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Replacing Drier.

My AC does not cool the way it is suppose to, and if it does, it takes a long time for it to blow cold air through the vents, and most times it makes this loud screeching sound. at first i thought its the compressor but when i got it checked i was told its the drier. is this a job that can be done in my garage, or should i take it to a mechanic?? and if its something that i can do, does anyone have the instructions that they can e-mail me.?
Thank you

Last edited by krazyharm67; 05-21-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-21-2012, 03:43 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Drier is easy to replace. Remove the passenger side headlight for easier access. Here is the problem. If your system is full of refrigerant, you can't legally vent it into the atmosphere. Now, will anyone catch you and arrest you? Likely not. So assuming you remove the refrigerant (either illegally or take it somewhere to have it captured) you then just unbolt the drier, replace the o rings and drier, and rebolt it in place. Go have a vacuum pulled on it for about 30 minutes and refill with refrigerant and oil. Done.

Here is the problem, who is telling you the drier is your issue and why do they think that? Lots of guys misdiagnose A/C issues. A few years ago I had a guy pay me to replace his evaporator (behind the dash, lots of work) and I asked him several times "are you SURE this is it". He said, "oh yes, my mechanic knows his stuff" (but he was paying me cause the shop wanted $2000 to do it, I did it for $600). Anyways, the evaporator wasn't the issue.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 05-22-2012, 01:49 AM

Thx Smolck... i was told it could be the drier because the hose/pipe that goes out form the drier is suppose to be cold, but mine is not. the person that checked it out for me is not the most credible person, so i am open to suggestion. my question is: would a bad drier cause that screeching sound? (the sound comes when the A/C is not functioning properly). once i start driving, at higher RPM the A/C starts to blow cold air and the sound goes away...! have you ever experienced such an issue??
Old 05-22-2012, 05:46 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyharm67 View Post
Thx Smolck... i was told it could be the drier because the hose/pipe that goes out form the drier is suppose to be cold, but mine is not. the person that checked it out for me is not the most credible person, so i am open to suggestion. my question is: would a bad drier cause that screeching sound? (the sound comes when the A/C is not functioning properly). once i start driving, at higher RPM the A/C starts to blow cold air and the sound goes away...! have you ever experienced such an issue??
screeching sound is not the drier. Driers don't make noise. It is either your compressor, or the compressor belt. You need to get the pressures read (both high and low side) and see what that says.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 05-22-2012, 12:57 PM

I got the pressure checked and its good. i am hoping it wont be the compressor. since its not much headache, ill change the drier and if that doesnt fix anything i gotta spend some dough..!!! Thx for your help anyways....
Old 05-22-2012, 01:12 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyharm67 View Post
I got the pressure checked and its good. i am hoping it wont be the compressor. since its not much headache, ill change the drier and if that doesnt fix anything i gotta spend some dough..!!! Thx for your help anyways....
If the pressures read fine, why do you think you need to fool with your system? Might want to take a moment and work through this before you go wasting money.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 05-22-2012, 07:51 PM

The pressure is fine but it wont cool.....so there is something wrong but i gotta find out what it is.