Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 05-21-2012, 05:35 AM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
Some issues

So I picked up my 87 528e/5 on Saturday, 192k miles, it's a blast and a half! So far, these are the things is like to fix in the near future, looking for some diagnostic/DIY help; this is my first E28, please bear with me.

1) ABS light: this comes on intermittently; more often than not though. The brake pedal becomes stiff too but braking still feels OK.
-could this just be worn sensors?

2) Weak clutch pedal and banging diff: the clutch does not always return to fully out, sometimes it will stay on the floor or just off the floor. I can pick it up with my foot and it will stay there. The clutch grabs at the top so I'm avoiding this by not putting it to the floor on shifts.
-could this be a simple fluid change or top-off?
The diff makes a banging noise/feel when I let the clutch out too quickly. It's only happened twice so I don't have much more information but maybe this too is a simple fluid change?

The car came with a lot of documentation of previous service so I have to go through all of that to see when the last all of these things were serviced, will let you know when I do. For now though, just looking to brainstorm and troubleshoot it...

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2012, 02:00 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 E34 View Post
So I picked up my 87 528e/5 on Saturday, 192k miles, it's a blast and a half! So far, these are the things is like to fix in the near future, looking for some diagnostic/DIY help; this is my first E28, please bear with me.

1) ABS light: this comes on intermittently; more often than not though. The brake pedal becomes stiff too but braking still feels OK.
-could this just be worn sensors?

2) Weak clutch pedal and banging diff: the clutch does not always return to fully out, sometimes it will stay on the floor or just off the floor. I can pick it up with my foot and it will stay there. The clutch grabs at the top so I'm avoiding this by not putting it to the floor on shifts.
-could this be a simple fluid change or top-off?
The diff makes a banging noise/feel when I let the clutch out too quickly. It's only happened twice so I don't have much more information but maybe this too is a simple fluid change?

The car came with a lot of documentation of previous service so I have to go through all of that to see when the last all of these things were serviced, will let you know when I do. For now though, just looking to brainstorm and troubleshoot it...
I'd start by examining the brakes, wheel by wheel. You may need a rebuild on each caliper, including new rubber brake hoses, or a master cylinder, and of course a brake fluid flush. Then again it may be as simple as stuck guide pins or an abs sensor problem, or worn out wheel bearings. Either way, the only prudent thing is to pull off each wheel and try compressing each caliper piston and see what happens. Rebuilding or replacing the calipers is pretty easy. The clutch could be suffering from similar hydraulic problems, or it could be the pressure plate-disc assembly. Sometimes the buildup of crud and rust on the trans splines affects the correct and smooth movement of the clutch disc. The differential and rear subrame have rubber mounts that are known to fail with age, they all need to be carefully examined.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:21 AM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Thank you for the reply.

MyE28 pointed me in the direction of the tone rings for the abs, make sure they're clean and the and works

The clutch I should check the fluid level and bleed the system. Then look into slave cylinder and master cylinder options.

Banging diff I was also pointed in the direction of diff mounts. Good to know there's a general agreement of where to begin. I adore this car, looking forward to happy motoring.

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Old 05-22-2012, 03:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
If it is the diff mount make sure you use the 528e mount. It is better then the 535i one.

Andy
Old 05-22-2012, 09:02 PM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Quote:
Originally Posted by south26 View Post
If it is the diff mount make sure you use the 528e mount. It is better then the 535i one.

Andy
Thanks Andy! I don't think this is destined for as much upgrade as I thought so pretty much all the parts will be simple replacement. I'm planning on good sway bars and stiffer shocks (spax?) and my E34 basket weaves. Maybe a sporty exhuast, haven't really looked into those options yet, right now it's clutch and diff that will be sorted

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi