Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-16-2012, 04:04 AM
Andrew*Debbie's Avatar
Andrew*Debbie Andrew*Debbie is offline
resU deretsigeR
Location: Anglesey
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,250
Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
New 114i and New M135

The new 3-Door hatch has gone live on BMWs UK website.

The new Entry Level BMW 114i ES starts at 17,300 Engine is a 102HP turbocharged 1.6L I4. Advertised 0-62mph is 11.2 seconds.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesand...b-RjIx,00.html


Top of the range is the M135. Price starts at 29,995 on the road. The engine is a turbo charged 3.0L I6. Horsepower is TBC.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesand...calSpec&isPGA=


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3_2012_05_11_18_27_32_image-3-1000x585.jpg
Views:	2529
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	325280  
__________________
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 05-16-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 05-16-2012, 06:32 AM
need4speed's Avatar
need4speed need4speed is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,064
Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
I know cars sell for different reasons in Europe/UK. Still it is difficult for me to believe that people pay the BMW price premium for a car that takes 11.2 seconds to hit 62 mph. If you are going to buy a car with that level of performance, why not get a Honda with better reliability? N4S
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-16-2012, 06:52 AM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,796
Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
I know cars sell for different reasons in Europe/UK. Still it is difficult for me to believe that people pay the BMW price premium for a car that takes 11.2 seconds to hit 62 mph. If you are going to buy a car with that level of performance, why not get a Honda with better reliability? N4S
I've driven in Europe a lot, and small engines are a blast to drive there. I had an Audi A3 rental with a 100 hp 1.6L engine - it was awesome, revved and sounded like a little race car and was great fun on the curvy roads.

Here in the US with all the straight bumpy roads and traffic lights, it would probably suck.
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Andrew*Debbie's Avatar
Andrew*Debbie Andrew*Debbie is offline
resU deretsigeR
Location: Anglesey
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,250
Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
I know cars sell for different reasons in Europe/UK.

I was a little surprised to see the 114i. It exists for the 199/month advertised special and corporate fleets. BMW probably hopes to sell most customers at least a 116i.

11.6 is slow for a BMW but it depends on what you are cross shopping.

The entry level VW Golf S 1.2 TSI takes 12.3 seconds.


Least expensive Golf and 1 series that do 0-60 in under 10 seconds:

Golf S 1.4 TSI 122PS 6Speed 18,395. 9.5 Seconds
BMW 116i ES 136HP 6Speed 18,850. 8.5 Seconds
__________________
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 05-16-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-19-2012, 06:52 AM
need4speed's Avatar
need4speed need4speed is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,064
Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
I was a little surprised to see the 114i. It exists for the 199/month advertised special and corporate fleets. BMW probably hopes to sell most customers at least a 116i.

11.6 is slow for a BMW but it depends on what you are cross shopping.

The entry level VW Golf S 1.2 TSI takes 12.3 seconds.


Least expensive Golf and 1 series that do 0-60 in under 10 seconds:

Golf S 1.4 TSI 122PS 6Speed 18,395. 9.5 Seconds
BMW 116i ES 136HP 6Speed 18,850. 8.5 Seconds
First:

Second:

Third:

N4S
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-21-2012, 09:32 PM
jsc's Avatar
jsc jsc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calgary
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,441
Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
I've driven in Europe a lot, and small engines are a blast to drive there. I had an Audi A3 rental with a 100 hp 1.6L engine - it was awesome, revved and sounded like a little race car and was great fun on the curvy roads.

Here in the US with all the straight bumpy roads and traffic lights, it would probably suck.
One of the best drives I have ever done was in the last generation European Ford Focus, 1.6 litres and less than 100bhp but with a rev happy engine, excellent steering and slick gear change. It was across the Yorkshire Moors (in the UK for those not familiar) on paved single-track roads (only wide enough for one car, although it is used by two-way traffic with passing places). Any more power and any bigger car would have been fruitless, as the tight hairpin turns and major "yumps" prevent any significant amount of power being put to the ground. Much air time was had! (enough that the battery was destroyed by the landings and had to be replaced with 5000 miles on the clock).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-22-2012, 05:00 AM
need4speed's Avatar
need4speed need4speed is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,064
Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Different horses for different courses. Yet another reason I'm glad my ancestors came to the new world. N4S
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Andrew*Debbie's Avatar
Andrew*Debbie Andrew*Debbie is offline
resU deretsigeR
Location: Anglesey
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,250
Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
Different horses for different courses. Yet another reason I'm glad my ancestors came to the new world. N4S

Just because cars like the 3-Cylinder VW polo diesel exist doesn't mean we are forced to buy them. I wouldn't buy the 114i either. I'm not sure if BMW hopes to capture A3 and Golf customers or if the 114i exists just to switch customers to the 116i.


I've driven a 116i 5-door. Not bad at all.

==========================


America has low priced fuel and big powerful cars. UK has interesting roads and a better selection of cars that are fun to drive.






==========================
__________________
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 05-23-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Andrew*Debbie's Avatar
Andrew*Debbie Andrew*Debbie is offline
resU deretsigeR
Location: Anglesey
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,250
Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
.
__________________
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-23-2012, 11:20 AM
need4speed's Avatar
need4speed need4speed is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,064
Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
Just because cars like the 3-Cylinder VW polo diesel exist doesn't mean we are forced to buy them. I wouldn't buy the 114i either. I'm not sure if BMW hopes to capture A3 and Golf customers or if the 114i exists just to switch customers to the 116i.


I've driven a 116i 5-door. Not bad at all.

==========================


America has low priced fuel and big powerful cars. UK has interesting roads and a better selection of cars that are fun to drive.






==========================
The VAT tax alone is enough to discourage buying a car. From what I've seen of your raods most of our cars would not fit very well. On the other hand many of your cars would get run off the road for being too slow if driven here. As I said different horses for different courses. N4S
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms