Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: Corvette
Dynamic Damper Control

Anyone out there with DDC who can tell me what they think of the system and its value? Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 05-21-2012, 05:55 AM
What's Not to Love??

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi GT MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by beevee View Post
Anyone out there with DDC who can tell me what they think of the system and its value? Thanks
If you mean the Dynamic Handling Package - it's phenomenal. The system has both horizontal and vertical components. Horizontally, the GT feels like it's on rails when cornering. Vertically, the effects of bumps and unevenness in the road are minimized for a very comfortable ride.

All I know is I can take curves at insane speed and the GT responds effortlessly.

I bought my car off the lot and this was one of the features that I probably wouldn't have ordered because I had never driven a car with it, so I figured I could live without it. Now that I have it, I love it. I loved the GT without it too, so you just have to determine if the cost is worth it to you.

mpress had a great idea in a previous thread - since sedans are more common, try to drive a 5-series sedan with it and one without, and compare the feel. Keep in mind, the GT has a higher center-of-gravity so DH effects will be more pronounced in the GT.

Last edited by starryeyed; 05-21-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
GET DH!!!

REad my thread in regard to those thinking about ordering a GT and my thoughts regarding DH or no DH.. I have driven both...would never own a GT or for that matter any sports car without it if its available!!!

mp

2012 GT 550ix Msport (feb12)(ok early march 12)
09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 05-22-2012, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 535i GT
DDC v. DH

I'm confused here too. There is an option for Dynamic Damping Control (included with Sprot and M-Sport packages). I don't see anything about Dynamic Handling. The DDC is activated when you switch from COMFORT to SPORT mode using the Dynamic Driving Control selector.

Along that subject I see references to COMFORT+. I have the COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT+ options with my selector. No COMFORT+. What is that?

TIA
DLM
Old 05-22-2012, 02:33 PM

Hello dmunz.....Just found out what the DDC is..............it relates to the shock absorbers on the car........they will all work independently of each other adjusting to road conditions to provide a comfort + ride.....apparently they monitor the road conditions 400 times per second and transfer information front to rear inorder to provide a more comfortable ride...........just tried it out in Santa Monica on a GT and it seems to eliminate any hashness when hitting or riding over ruff roads or bumps....makes for a really nice ride........not that it does not already ride nice just more so. read the BMW explanation below

Dynamic Damping Control.

Uneven roads, potholes, cobblestones or flawless tarmac with Dynamic Damping Control there is now a chassis for every road and every driving style.

The perfect damping setting is what engineers are in search of on the test tracks. What they find is usually a compromise. However, with Dynamic Damping Control the BMW 5 Series Sedan provides a suitable setting for every surface without you having to intervene.

A control unit on each wheel evaluates movements four hundred times a second and adjusts the shock absorbers accordingly. The electronics system works so fast that when the front wheels encounter a pothole, information is sent to the rear wheels so that sufficient cushioning is in place. The rebound and compression damping are continually and independently set to end the need for compromise which means that the dampers adapt to the state of the road irrespective of which Dynamic Driving Control mode is selected, for exceptional ride comfort even when driving hard on bumpy surfaces.

Last edited by beevee; 05-22-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
I find the "Sport" choice makes a significant tracking improvement. One can really feel the difference on curvy highway entrances and exits. I wasn't aware of the dynamic handling package. Does anyone use the sport+ choice? what is the difference compared to just sport?
Old 05-22-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikez38 View Post
I find the "Sport" choice makes a significant tracking improvement. One can really feel the difference on curvy highway entrances and exits. I wasn't aware of the dynamic handling package. Does anyone use the sport+ choice? what is the difference compared to just sport?
SPORT+ turns off traction control. May do more, but that is the big difference.

FWIW
DLM
Old 05-22-2012, 07:25 PM
What's Not to Love??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunz View Post
I'm confused here too. There is an option for Dynamic Damping Control (included with Sprot and M-Sport packages). I don't see anything about Dynamic Handling. The DDC is activated when you switch from COMFORT to SPORT mode using the Dynamic Driving Control selector.

Along that subject I see references to COMFORT+. I have the COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT+ options with my selector. No COMFORT+. What is that?

TIA
DLM
So I just had to double-check - Dynamic Damper Control is part of the Dynamic Handling Package, along with Active Roll Stabilization (ARS), and Adaptive Drive.

Driving Dynamics Control is standard on all 2012 GT's. It allows you to choose driving modes - Comfort+, Comfort (default), Sport, and Sport+.

dmunz, the Comfort+ setting was described to me as the "limo" setting. Super cushy ride, less responsive throttle, etc.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 PM

The dynamic damper control is a separate option for 2013 or it comes with the dynamic handling package as one of the package features....the 2013 price guide is on this forum page and you can view them both......the dynamic damper control is what gives you the comfort plus mode.......
Old 05-23-2012, 06:45 PM
What's Not to Love??

Quote:
The dynamic damper control is a separate option for 2013 or it comes with the dynamic handling package as one of the package features....the 2013 price guide is on this forum page and you can view them both......the dynamic damper control is what gives you the comfort plus mode.......
I see what you mean about the Dynamic Damper Control as a stand-alone option for 2013. Looks like it's $1000 as a stand-alone, or if you get the Dynamic Handling Package, it's $3500. The 2013 DH package includes ARS and Adaptive Drive, along with DDC, just as it did in 2012.

I'm guessing that Dynamic Damper Control is the vertical damping system to make the ride over bumps and such more comfortable, whereas ARS is the horizontal component.

I'll be honest, I never use my Comfort+ setting. I'm more inclined to use the Sport setting, and I do quite regularly. That said, DDC as a stand-alone option for me isn't that attractive, but that's just me. I like the whole DH Package personally.

What are you thinking? Are the roads where you live full of bumps and potholes?
Old 05-23-2012, 07:01 PM

Ddc

Hello Starryeyed....Would like to get DH package but with all the other options I would be pushing the envelope and when I drive freeways on trips with 4 people I want to just relax and feel as comfortable as possible and I guess from my research the Dynamic Damper Control will do just that..........and we do have a fair number of pot holes around town too..... When it is just me I will put the car in sport + as we have alot of curvy roads where I live and you get that feature with the Msport package.....if I am incorrect please let me know....Thanks
Old 05-23-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Hello Starryeyed....Would like to get DH package but with all the other options I would be pushing the envelope and when I drive freeways on trips with 4 people I want to just relax and feel as comfortable as possible and I guess from my research the Dynamic Damper Control will do just that..........and we do have a fair number of pot holes around town too..... When it is just me I will put the car in sport + as we have alot of curvy roads where I live and you get that feature with the Msport package.....if I am incorrect please let me know....Thanks
As I posted above I have sport and sport+ (as well as comfort but no comfort+). I don't have the "M" sport package, just the sport package. All things considered I'm glad I picked up an inventory car. If I were trying to order I'd go nuts!

FWIW
DLM
Old 05-23-2012, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
get DH it makes the gt a BMW

2012 GT 550ix Msport (feb12)(ok early march 12)
09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 05-23-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunz View Post
As I posted above I have sport and sport+ (as well as comfort but no comfort+). I don't have the "M" sport package, just the sport package. All things considered I'm glad I picked up an inventory car. If I were trying to order I'd go nuts!

FWIW
DLM
You are right about that............
Old 05-23-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpress View Post
get DH it makes the gt a BMW
Choices Choices......... Only 4 GT's in the US right now @ dealers with DH

Last edited by beevee; 05-23-2012 at 09:06 PM.