Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 05-23-2012, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 bmw 318
Question loud exhaust rattle on higher rpms or throttle blurp

ok guys, I dont have use of a comp all the time so i searched quick and did not find an issue alike on this forum.

My 1996 318i sedan has gotten a loud rattle recently. It rattled before but now is way louder. In gear or in neutral, it doesnt matter and pitch will stay the same. If I give the car a quick throttle blip I get a loud rattle(sounds like a tin can) or when I am driving and the rpms hit say 2500 it starts and gets louder the higher the rpm gets. Got under the car with a hockey stick shaft and smacked the cat, resonator and muffler but no sounds of loose internals. replaced the exhaust from just after the cat back thought I had figured it was the old resonator and the sound is still there with a new remus exhaust thats bolted after the cat to the muffler so I still have the old cat. driving me nuts!!! I pulled the whole heat shield just to check and its not that either. Its from the cat back somewhere but I cant pin point it. Anyone else had this problem??? please leave me some feedback, it sounds like a cheap piece of crap.

Thank guys!
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2012, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 94 318is - Sold
I had a rattle from the cat area on mine aswell, got it up on a lift, and saw that this was no longer held in the correct position, im not sure of the technical name, but it looks like some kind of mount or damper maybe. No idea, anyway, the attached picutre is what it should look like, when mine rattled it was no longer touching the other rubber peice but just going where ever it wanted to. For anyone with this problem out there, I noticed in pictures of the 6 cylinder engine cars, that they do not have the same set up, so only for us little 4 bangers

Old 05-23-2012, 07:25 PM

Awesome pic man but I do not even have that mount under my car. I don't think that is my problem as the rattle was faint before and is now loud. I am stuck on it being the cat but there is no rattle when I smack it. I will have a friend rev I tomorrow an I will pull the exhaust over towards where that mount is and see if it stops it.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Guibo?

Center support bearing?

Certain it's not Vanos? (It is most commonly described as marbles in a tin can).

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 05-23-2012, 07:33 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
M42/44 doesn't have VANOS.

Got the same rattle in Bebe, but only when on the gas (even very slightly). The rattle stops the second I let up.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
he has 4 pot my Canadian comrade

loose washer maybe?

Edit: Ken beat me to it

-Dino
Old 05-23-2012, 07:35 PM
The Canadian Prick.

:edfail:

(Didn't read fully)...

Old 05-23-2012, 07:39 PM

I knew it didn't have vanos. I have no idea what guibo is but a loose washer could be it. I just went out and checked it again. No loose cap on o2 sensor, all mounts are secured properly. It sounds like a heat shield on a pipe, everyone has heard that whether it's the cat shield or a manifold shield. It's really loud when I put my foot to the floor.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:44 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
It's all good, Ed.

BTW, the rattle in Bebe is definitely part of the exhaust vibrating against something. It's somewhere under the rear seat. I've been spending so much time under everyone else's cars I don't feel like working on my own.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Natasha 95M3

Mein Auto: 95' E36 M3
I say check the connection at the cat back. There should be a ring that sits like a bushing between the two pipes. Mine had rusted out at one point and fixing that stopped the rattle.

My .02
Old 05-24-2012, 04:55 AM

So there is a ring that sits between the cat and the resonator? I thought the new pipe just slid over top of the of the front half of the exhaust and the couplers mated. So there is supposed to be a gasket of some sort there?
Old 05-24-2012, 06:32 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdupont View Post
So there is a ring that sits between the cat and the resonator? I thought the new pipe just slid over top of the of the front half of the exhaust and the couplers mated. So there is supposed to be a gasket of some sort there?
Yes, there is supposed to be a gasket between sections of exhaust. This is commonly called an exhaust donut. (Google it). You can get them at any muffler shop or even O'Reilley's, Advance Auto etc.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:40 AM

There is not to meant to be a gasket in between those 2 pipes. I have confirmed this. I ended up cutting the cat right out as it could likely use one and there I found the problem. The cat was hollow! New magnaflow hi flow cat did the trick and I noticed a nice gain in my power or so it feels like it. Thanks for the help though guys. I appreciate it