Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-25-2012, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i (sold the X3)
New Headlight Switch

I had found that ECS had European headlight switches that activate the rear fog lights. So I went to their site and this one was on sale for half price:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E83-X3-...hes/ES1897110/

So I made note of it and then a few days later I got on and did an online chat to see if it would work with my non-xenon, auto wipered E83. They said it would work if I had Xenon. I then noticed they only had one left and the price was $8.94!

So I ordered it...It was for a right hand drive E83. I removed the switch and swapped them to the other so it would no longer be a right-hand drive.

Tested and works 100% I then tested the wiper operation and it is working also.

The best benefit, it has a green led that lights when in auto and the lights have turned on. When I saw this feature on my girlfriends 328XI I thought it was nice, now I have it and rear fogs.

:-)

Steve
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2012, 09:02 PM
sapper

Mein Auto: 02 WRX, 06 X3
Wow, what a steal! On a side note, I got caught behind a Volvo with his/her rear fog light on on a clear winter night. I could have shot him/her. 20 miles staring at that thing and unable to pass!!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I bought my switch from them as well, for my 2007 xenon/auto but paid about $100 or so. The one in your link is now $118. Great buy you got!
Old 05-26-2012, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
There was quite a bit of discussion on the rear fog lights sometime back. As best as I recall, the 04-06 had the lights installed but not hooked up, and the 07 on had them wired so all you needed was the new switch and they werre good to go. It sounds like you had a plug and play situation where all you did was install the new switch and they worked. Did you have to do any wiring or was it just a install the switch, turn it on, and they worked sort of thing?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i (sold the X3)
Just install the switch and they worked.

I know when to use the front and rear fog lights. They will only be on when it is foggy.

It bothers me that most Americans do not understand fog lights and use them 90% of the time.

I have read and confirmed for myself that using them all the time causes eye fatigue and it actually decreases your long range night time eye sight.

Steve
Old 05-26-2012, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Yep plug and play on 2007+ as the bulbs that function as rear fogs are activated with excessive braking under normal driving conditions to alert drivers you've just slammed the brakes.