Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-27-2012, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
Exclamation NAV/radio/CD changer help needed

My 01 thru the years has a gremlin in it. For the past several years I would switch to CD and occasionally get an error. To resolve I would have to eject the 6 disk changer and put it back in sometimes it wouldn't eject but then weeks later it would. Last summer my 4:3 screen would just freeze in place. Recently I took apart my changer and manually moved a gear to eject my cartridge and my cd changer worked again for a few weeks. Sadly now it s broke again. While trying to troubleshoot the system I pulled the nav system and when I pull the cable I see the monitor turn on and off so if it freezes does that mean my NAV system is fried can I just EBAY one? Also should I just eBay a changer because now when I put in the cartridge it doesn't even cycle thru the disks anymore. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can replace both for under 400 just don't want to throw money at something that might not be the issue........ I wish I knew someone with another BMW in my area(Austin) that I could swap the part on just to know what I needed to replace!
Ads by Google
Old 05-27-2012, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
Exclamation

Additional info when staring at the back of the MKII nav unit I notice the fan never comes on. I took a can of computer air and blew out the back and holes that I could find, then plugged it back in and the screen didn't freeze for about a min, but the fan never came on in the back of the NAV unit then the screen froze. I am tempted to open up and blow out the unit but if the fan is bad that really won't help me.... Should the fan be coming on???