Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 650i & 2006 325xi
Tire replacement

My front tires are due to be replaced & trying to decide if I should replace with OEM runflats or regular tires. What have fellow 6 series owners been replacing their tires with? If I replace with regular tires I would have to change all 4 , where if I continue to use runflats I only need to replace fronts. I have never had a problem with runflats regarding ride or noise.
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2012, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
I'm in the process of changing out my runflats to Hankook Ventus V12's . Check tire rack, there's an $80 rebate if you buy a set of Hankook's.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
I changed out my run flats to the Michelin super sports ... They're great!

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 05-31-2012, 04:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i & 2006 325xi
any recommendations on a all weatther performance tire ? Tired of swapping out winter to summer tire every season.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokmeipai View Post
any recommendations on a all weatther performance tire ? Tired of swapping out winter to summer tire every season.
Continental ExtremeContact DWS is the only all season I would recommend. About $900 from TireRack for a set of 4 staggered 19".
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
I just went with 4 for the the Hankook V12s. Going with NRFs is the best thing I could have done.

The car rides Soooo much better. Handles great.

Also they are really cheap compared to RF's and there is an $80.00 rebate right now.

Also, I purchased the mini Spare kit for about $350 for longer trips.

Go for 4 Hankooks and they will be cheaper than the two front OEMs.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 06-01-2012, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
Continental ExtremeContact DWS is the only all season I would recommend. About $900 from TireRack for a set of 4 staggered 19".
I put these on my 6 & 7. Very good handling & riding tires. I got mine from Tire Rack. Shop the prices everywhere for the best price!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
I put these on my 6 & 7. Very good handling & riding tires. I got mine from Tire Rack. Shop the prices everywhere for the best price!
OT
Herb, I agree with you about shopping everything for best pricing.
Not to denigrate a 'fest sponsor, but I've been a huge fan and consistent customer of TireRack.com for around ten years. Well, last month I need two new Michellins for the wife's SUV - would you believe that Costco and the local Acura dealer beat the Tirerack price by about 10%...? Part of the difference was shipping (it used to be that the shipping on tirerack was basically offset by no sales tax, however, tirerack put a distribution center in my state - GA - so they have to charge sales tax now). I couldn't believe that the dealer beat tirerack (and this was rack pricing, not some promo)... (costco had to order - full week wait, and dealer had them in stock at lowest price)... go figure...

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 06-04-2012, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
OT
Herb, I agree with you about shopping everything for best pricing.
Not to denigrate a 'fest sponsor, but I've been a huge fan and consistent customer of TireRack.com for around ten years. Well, last month I need two new Michellins for the wife's SUV - would you believe that Costco and the local Acura dealer beat the Tirerack price by about 10%...? Part of the difference was shipping (it used to be that the shipping on tirerack was basically offset by no sales tax, however, tirerack put a distribution center in my state - GA - so they have to charge sales tax now). I couldn't believe that the dealer beat tirerack (and this was rack pricing, not some promo)... (costco had to order - full week wait, and dealer had them in stock at lowest price)... go figure...
+1, I have had Tirerack smoke the local folks and other times been able to have them price matched locally. Or even beat them.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
As the saying goes "Shop Around". You'll be surprised at times on where the deals are.
Personally I still do run flats. Saved me a few times in some uncomfortable situations without having to worry about sitting on the side of the road. Plus, it's not like I'm changing tires often, maybe a couple of years.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 06-06-2012, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i Cabrio
Agree with the Conti DWS as an all season tire. Have them on an Audi A4 and i am very pleased with the look and performance. I like my 6 with the Conti DW and mobility kit. They ride and handle great at a reasonable price, besides, I prefer to park the 6 if it snows.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 645 ci
I too am looking at replacing my RFTs with regular tires as apparently my alignment was messed up and caused wear producing a flat yesterday. I would usually just replace with RFTs as i have in the past but i've been out of work going on 5 months now so money is an issue. I really need to replace all 4 don't I? Do i need new wheels too if i'm going away from RFTs? Thanks.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645ciDream View Post
I too am looking at replacing my RFTs with regular tires as apparently my alignment was messed up and caused wear producing a flat yesterday. I would usually just replace with RFTs as i have in the past but i've been out of work going on 5 months now so money is an issue. I really need to replace all 4 don't I? Do i need new wheels too if i'm going away from RFTs? Thanks.
Sorry about being out of work!! worlds in a bloody mess because of the greedy bankers and the governments in their pockets, bit of a rant!! As for the tyres, no you do not need new wheels, subject to the needs of money it is possible to split front and rear with runflats and non-runflats, but you cannot mix them on the same axle. Obviously it is best to have them all the same but I doubt very much that people will drive to the limits were it may be possible to have an issue.....You must remember to carry a mobility kit of some sort just in case..... the other thing I always carry in my car now is a wheel brace.............
Had an issue were a wheel came loose and could not do anything as because runflats !! no wheel brace......dumbest omission ever, People do remove wheels even when they are runflats.......

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 06-10-2012, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: Jet Black e63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
This is what I have and I really really like them. Good quality, good grip, and they are holding up quite nicely. The ride was a lot better than the original factory Runflats.

BMW E63 (Jet Black w/Chateau Red Interior, Sport Pkg, Cold Pkg, Nav, Logic 7)
-20" Status 931 Staggered Wheels (Black Lip)
-Continental ExtremeContact DWS XL Tires
-AC Schnitzer Pedals/Footrest
-Lumma Roof Spoiler (Painted)
-50% Smoke Window Tint
-5W Kaibird LED Angel Eyes
-Black Vinyl Corner Overlays
-K&N Air Filter
Old 06-10-2012, 06:16 PM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokmeipai View Post
Continental Extreme Contact DW or DWS. I have DWS and I love them.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksquad View Post
I'm in the process of changing out my runflats to Hankook Ventus V12's . Check tire rack, there's an $80 rebate if you buy a set of Hankook's.
+1 here for the Hankooks Venus v12, 235 front 275 rear I think....

Prior to the rebate I got these for $225 a unit, but I always tip the crew $50. Not sure I'd that's a good deal, but these RFTs have saved my bacon more than once.