Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5; 2004 330cic
2004 X5- wont start (EWS / DME issue)

Hi,

I will start by highlighting I am mechanically incompetent and in need of some help.

Car details:
2004 X5 4.4
65K miles
Bought from dealer 6 months ago- no prior issues

Went to start car and no crank in ignition. No clicks, no sound, no nothing- just dead. All lights / electronics worked however car would not turnover and display showed "engine failure / transmission failure" errors. Thought it was battery so jumped start- no success. Tried spare key-nope. Ended up having it towed to my mechanic.

Mechanic thought it was starter motor / battery so replaced and said it was fine (i.e. car started). I went to pick it up and exactly the same issue- no start, errors but electronics working. Mechanic re-examined and diagnosed EWS and another module which they ordered and replaced. This still didn't work. After 2 weeks they said they think it is the DME which needs to be replaced / re-reprogrammed by dealer.

I have taken it to BMW and they are examining but wondering if anyone has any advice or experienced this. If it is DME, how much should it cost- o i need it replaced or reprogrammed???

THANKS SO MUCH

PS> I have trawled through the site but cant find the exact issue
Ads by Google
Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiao View Post
Hi,

I will start by highlighting I am mechanically incompetent and in need of some help.

Car details:
2004 X5 4.4
65K miles
Bought from dealer 6 months ago- no prior issues

Went to start car and no crank in ignition. No clicks, no sound, no nothing- just dead. All lights / electronics worked however car would not turnover and display showed "engine failure / transmission failure" errors. Thought it was battery so jumped start- no success. Tried spare key-nope. Ended up having it towed to my mechanic.

Mechanic thought it was starter motor / battery so replaced and said it was fine (i.e. car started). I went to pick it up and exactly the same issue- no start, errors but electronics working. Mechanic re-examined and diagnosed EWS and another module which they ordered and replaced. This still didn't work. After 2 weeks they said they think it is the DME which needs to be replaced / re-reprogrammed by dealer.

I have taken it to BMW and they are examining but wondering if anyone has any advice or experienced this. If it is DME, how much should it cost- o i need it replaced or reprogrammed???

THANKS SO MUCH

PS> I have trawled through the site but cant find the exact issue
Good day,

If I had my guess, it is the ignition switch contacts that direct power to the EWS. There will usually be something else that won't work as a lot of functions work off one set of contacts. This happened to me with my 98 540i and it took me some time to figure out the power was not getting to the EWS at all, but everything else worked... Oh, I do remember that my steering wheel position function (arm below the turn signals) did not work when the EWS was also not working... I had to turn the ignition on and off repeatedly before It would work... It happened to me twice before I took out the contact assy from the steering column and cleaned the contacts... I never purchased a replacement and sold the car a few months ago with it still working... Oh, I had my 540i for about eight years and did all the work it needed... I did everything from fluid changes to replacing the timing chains and guides...

I just got my 2002 X5 4.4 (if my wife doesn't make it hers) and I love it... It would be better if they had them (4.4L) with the six speed that was in my 540i, but the auto hasn't disappointed me yet...

Good luck and let us know what you find out please!

Thanks much!!

Cheers!!
Old 05-28-2012, 12:17 PM

Below is the reply from the dealer.. doesn't sounds promising. Seems to me they are not sure and may just be hoping its DME... anyone have any views / thoughts as $2K is a sizey investment for an 04...I'm using Brahman Miami for what it counts.

"We found that the DME has corrosion from water. We need to replace the DME. There could be something else wrong but this what needs to be done now. The cost to replace the DME plus the time already invested would bring the total to $2108.00 plus tax.""

Last edited by kiao; 05-28-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Below is the reply from the dealer.. doesn't sounds promising. Seems to me they are not sure and may just be hoping its DME... anyone have any views / thoughts as $2K is a sizey investment for an 04...I'm using Brahman Miami for what it counts.

"We found that the DME has corrosion from water. We need to replace the DME. There could be something else wrong but this what needs to be done now. The cost to replace the DME plus the time already invested would bring the total to $2108.00 plus tax.""
Good day!

I'm not going to automatically say the dealership is wrong, but the practice of troubleshooting and diagnosing a problem goes little beyone hooking up the computer and plucking & chucking the most probable cause... Very rarely do mechanics break out the volt meter to find positive 12v where it should be and the opposite in some cases... That is how I determined my ignition was bad when I had the same symptoms you have now...

On the other hand, my good friend has an 07 Mini... When he came to me and said the remote doesn't work, I inquired when did it start... "After I left the sunroof open in the rain and it got the mirror wet." I pulled apart the mirror and found corrosion on the circuitry for the remote receiver... I cleaned it up, hooked it back up and it worked... It took me an extra half hour to pull the mirror apart than to just replace it with a $343 new one... I got an apple pie and a six pack of Pepsi for my efforts... WIN-WIN!!

I don't know if you can make them check the voltage out of the ignition, but I would try... That is an $80 part (if I'm looking at the parts correctly) compared to the replacement for the DME...

Good luck!!

Cheers!!
Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW
Sounds like your DME might be bad, or your new EWS wasn't programmed correctly.

You say that there has been times when the car didn't crank. Then I heard you say that after your mechanic worked on the car, he found a way to start the car again.

Sound like your DME could be loosing the synchronization with the EWS, or vice verse.

Ask your mechanic if he has tried to do an EWS to DME Alignment to get the car to start.

If this is true, have the mechanic reprogram the EWS and test the car for a few days. (I have instructions on how to to this.)

Otherwise you will need to replace your DME, which is not a big deal.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:33 AM

Another update in this saga. The dealer finally got the new DME, and installed it. Now he is saying that the Mechatronics need to be replaced (the EGS control unit in the transmission).

I have no idea on the legitimacy here- he mentioned a voltage issue. This unit apparently costs $3,200, so with DME and labor the cost for repair is $5,815 plus tax..Advice helpful!!

Also, anyone know of any recourse? I bought the vehicle from the dealer, but its an '04 an no warranty. Im guessing i have none but is there a lemon law or similar for used cars? Its been in the shop for 2 of the 5 months Ive owned it.

Are my options really either paying the repair or defaulting on my financing payments? I'm happy for them to take back the car and lose my deposit..

Last edited by kiao; 06-08-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Another update in this saga. The dealer finally got the new DME, and installed it. Now he is saying that the Mechatronics need to be replaced (the EGS control unit in the transmission).

I have no idea on the legitimacy here- he mentioned a voltage issue. This unit apparently costs $3,200, so with DME and labor the cost for repair is $5,815 plus tax..Advice helpful!!

Also, anyone know of any recourse? I bought the vehicle from the dealer, but its an '04 an no warranty. Im guessing i have none but is there a lemon law or similar for used cars? Its been in the shop for 2 of the 5 months Ive owned it.

Are my options really either paying the repair or defaulting on my financing payments? I'm happy for them to take back the car and lose my deposit..
Good day!!

Have them swap out the ignition and if that doesn't fix it, send me the bill...

Cheers!!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM

Just thought i'd provide an update on this. After changing the Mechatronics still had same issue. Ended up the DME the dealer first installed was a dud. After replacing the DME again all up and running and so far so good.

Total bill= $6300. Luckily i was able to claim it on my insurance so only cost me $500 out of pocket.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 330d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECU Doctors View Post
Sounds like your DME might be bad, or your new EWS wasn't programmed correctly.

You say that there has been times when the car didn't crank. Then I heard you say that after your mechanic worked on the car, he found a way to start the car again.

Sound like your DME could be loosing the synchronization with the EWS, or vice verse.

Ask your mechanic if he has tried to do an EWS to DME Alignment to get the car to start.

If this is true, have the mechanic reprogram the EWS and test the car for a few days. (I have instructions on how to to this.)

Otherwise you will need to replace your DME, which is not a big deal.
Hi sorry to bring up old thread but It's totally relevant and unfortunately we don't halve a erm land rover section I also have a td4 that wouldn't start so I replaced the ews and realigned it then car starts for a day or so then loses alignment so i fit new battery aligned it again and I drove home. Just gone to go out and it's lost sync again!!! Any ideas Why they lose sync it's costing me 50 per resync!!! It still cranks when it.doesnt start and it's an auto.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
I thought if the EWS was not in synch with the DME the engine wouldn't even crank? Once the EWS is synch with the DME it remains synch until you replace the DME or replace the EWS. Sound like you have another problem.