Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-21-2012, 11:52 AM
One Bad 3

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Broken Window (NOT window regulator)

Guys,

So my wife's X5 window is broken. All the symptoms of a window regulator problem. I bought a window regulator, took the door apart, went to install it and found the regulator is fine and still works well. On re-installation i saw that there is a piece of support metal that runs down the door. It holds the window lining/felt/insulation in place. (Essentially the window seal on the top, that runs down, past the front mirror, runs all the way down into the door and is welded to the bottom of the door) Well, the weld that holds that lining and support to the bottom of the door is broken. I think this maybe what causes the window to pop out of its alignment.

Anyone run into this problem? Anyone fix it? Weld it? metal glue? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Hers:
2001 X5 3.0 | Titanium Silver | Grey Dakota Leather | Premium | Activity Package| Climate Package | >200,000 miles |... and lots of repairs!
Ads by Google
Old 06-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 540i MSpor-06 X5 4.4i
if you can, drill a hole through where the weld was and bolt it, or reweld it .. ine broke too..it was rattling when the door would be closed ... i rewelded mine