Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 06-02-2012, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 F25 20dX WY31
Thumbs down CIC Retrofit Help (Fitting Issue)

Hello guys,

I'm replacing my 6.5" display and radio with the 8.8" screen and CIC/Navigation professional combo, but I came with some hardware fitting issues --edit: see updated part list to solve this---

Parts Needed:

--Edit--- Added the parts needed to make this work

-Car Infotainment Computer "CIC" - P/N 65129220068
-Central Information Display "CID" - P/N 65509231320
-Equipment Mount - P/N 51459193778
-Lower cover panel centerstack - P/N 51459201670

-Usb Plug for Glove Box - P/N ???
-Usb Cable for plug in Glove Box - P/N ???
-FSC Activation Code
-E-Sys Programming

Hardware parts purchased from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2905wt_907

So, as I haven't found no DIY on the new X3 F25, I'm blindfolded and pretty much doing this by heart. I posted my own DIY on post 2, feel free to chip in

However

I've came to an important issue on the fitting the new CIC part inside the trim.. I couldn't get it to fit my car. I think I have a problem with the "Equipment Mount" P/N: 51459193777 as it's too small to fit the CIC unit inside and I had to order a wider one.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=51&fg=30

Take a look at the pictures with the "Equipment Mount" that my car came with

Continue on post 2

Last edited by RO-CK; 06-07-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Now I solved the fitting issue and moving on..
Ads by Google
Old 06-03-2012, 02:41 PM

DIY for CIC Retrofit

Ok guys, as no one has shared a light here I imagine that you need some incentive..

This is my first DIY, so please don't be too harsh on me

Disclaimer: This is for informational uses only, I'm not to be held responsible in any way if you mess your car trying this (Picture Heavy)

(And remember, english is NOT my native language, so please bear with me)

Parts needed

T20, T25, T30 Torxs
Trim Removal Tool
4 beers
A lamp

Instructions (Part 1):

1) Applying some brute force and using the trim removal tool you have to remove the trim that holds the AC vents and the Engine Start button. It's a 1 piece trim that stars from the right part of the steering wheel and ends on the air vents

2) Remove the plugs that hold the Hazard and Door Lock buttons, as well as the Engine Start Button

3) Now the dash trim is free, put it somewhere else with a cloth underneath it to protect it

4) At this point you can see the 2 torx size 20 screws that are holding the 6.5" screen on it's place. Using the T20 Torx Remove them and gently pull the screen downwards. It will easily come off..
Remove the HD Cable Plug (A purple kind of color) and the black power harness as well. You can see the hd plug and cable removed on the pictures

5) Plug the new HD screen (remember there are 2 plugs: power and video) and put it on the old one's place. It's 100% Plug and Play

6) Re insert the 2 T20 torx screws
7) HD Screen Swap Done!! ------- Now go and grab your first beer
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8) Using the T20 Torx remove 2 of the 4 screws that are holding the AC/Radio cover panel on the upper side

9) IMPORTANT --> to uncover the other 2 screws that are holding the AC/Radio cover you must remove the lower part of the central console. It has a little red led on it. You have to put the trim removal tool between the AC/Radio cover and this lower part and pry it down, it will come off and there you will see the other 2 screws.
This is the little red light below the dash lower part

10) Remove the AC/Radio Cover Panel there are 2 plugs very much like the one is on your stereo. You have to unlock the harness and both will come off really easy. When you finish removing the Panel you will see something like this:

Note how you can see the lower part of the panel that needs to be removed with the led attached below it. The red wholes are where the lower 2 last torx screws were attached

11) Remove 2 T25 torx screws holding the Stereo

12) Pull out the stereo

13) Remove all the wiring harness and cables connecting from behind and the stereo is free!! It should look like this

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, this is where I'm stuck, as my new navigation system does not fit inside... But if you are one of the lucky ones that has a different panel and it fits, just connect all the harness (again, plug and play), add the usb cable, wire it to the glove box, reverse the process and you're done!!

This is the end of part 1

Last edited by RO-CK; 06-11-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Nice Work!

Sorry I can't provide any help. I'm just impressed and want to thank you for sharing your experience. It appears you are the first one showing how to open up the dashboard of F25.

I have the same 6.5" screen as yours. I also want to open the dashboard up but just to install an iPhone snap-in adapter in front of the screen. IPhone's navigation is good enough for me. I just want to control my Rdio app for music. The iDrive only controls Apple's music app.

So if I have a USB cable and a USB plug, is there a place in the dash that I can hook up USB plug into the system?

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 X3 35i MSport, 09 135i
Sounds like you're just having issues mounting the unit right? I would plug all your new stuff in without mounting it, just to make sure it all works. Then once you've verified that all your parts will play nice together and do what you want, you can find the mounting piece you need and finish the job.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
You've got some stones taking that baby apart.

Makes me glad I ordered the 8" in the first place :-)

Seriously though, sometimes it's better to "pay the man" to get it done right. Good intent aside, could you seriously screw something up here?

Also, there's always bimmerforums (?) to solicit input from ...

Just my 2 cents :-)

J
Old 06-04-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortec4800 View Post
Sounds like you're just having issues mounting the unit right? I would plug all your new stuff in without mounting it, just to make sure it all works. Then once you've verified that all your parts will play nice together and do what you want, you can find the mounting piece you need and finish the job.
Thanks Vortec, I did try to see if everything worked, I even was tempted to reassemble everything and just leave the navi unit outside, I even tried to leave the 8.8" HD screen with the old stereo on it, but It didn't work

I was so pissed of that It's just a fitting issue that I forgot to take pictures with the unit working and playing DVD's
Old 06-04-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroarke View Post
You've got some stones taking that baby apart.

Makes me glad I ordered the 8" in the first place :-)

Seriously though, sometimes it's better to "pay the man" to get it done right. Good intent aside, could you seriously screw something up here?

Also, there's always bimmerforums (?) to solicit input from ...

Just my 2 cents :-)

J
Well... I've previously made several retrofits to my Tiguan with no issues at all.. And in this case I was looking at a price difference of $1,200 between "paying the man" to get this done by someone else or doing it by myself. I reassembled everything back on it's place with my original stereo and 6.5" screen with no issues. Worst case scenario I would end up buying a new equipment mount for $55 usd and I'm still $1,145 usd below price.

Will go to bimmerforums and see how it goes, thanks for the input

Last edited by RO-CK; 06-04-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenW View Post
Sorry I can't provide any help. I'm just impressed and want to thank you for sharing your experience. It appears you are the first one showing how to open up the dashboard of F25.

I have the same 6.5" screen as yours. I also want to open the dashboard up but just to install an iPhone snap-in adapter in front of the screen. IPhone's navigation is good enough for me. I just want to control my Rdio app for music. The iDrive only controls Apple's music app.

So if I have a USB cable and a USB plug, is there a place in the dash that I can hook up USB plug into the system?

Thanks.
Hello,

I'm including a picture of the back panel of the CIC, the beige/brown plug at the top right is the place where you should connect the usb drive, however, the usb drive that I'm talking about it's just for uploading/downloading music to/from the HD unit of the CIC and not the iPhone adapter, I can't take a picture of the back panel of the stereo at the moment because I already mounted it back. And no, I did not see any place in the dash where you could hook up the USB plug into the system.

However, my car already came with the iPhone/iPod snap-in adapter that goes inside the armrest, and my stereo only had 3 connections:

1) Video Output -- The cable that goes to the 6.5" screen
2) Radio Antenna Input (It's the black plug at the bottom left on the CIC)
3) Wiring harness (See the big hole with a 15 amp fuse on my picture). This wiring harness input it's the same as the CIC that the picture shows.

So my guess here it's that this adapter plugs into the COMBOX below the passenger seat, and the combox already includes the harness that goes from there to the stereo. But that's just a guess, if you attach the instructions maybe I could be of more help

Last edited by RO-CK; 06-04-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
RO-CK you are indeed a brave soul! Hope that your installation works out with what you have on-hand, but looking at the part numbers on Realoem, are you sure you got the right equipment mount? If you're trying to upgrade to the "Navigation system Professional", then it looks like the 51459193776 part number would fit the bill and not 51459193777? I find part number 51459193777 somewhat suspect because it is appropriate for so many different configurations. Then again I'm a novice when it comes to reading and interpreting realoem part descriptions.

One interesting tidbit I noticed from your photos is that the CD/DVD drive is an Alpine unit. I was under the impression that the stereo was made by Harman Kardon...
Old 06-04-2012, 11:27 AM

MetaX,

Thanks for your input and good hopes... And no, I don't think that the one I have will fit, but I'm not sure the other parts will fit either, so I want to be certain before I purchase another equipment mount that probably won't fit either, as there are 2 more options: 51459193776 and 51459193778 and in my own interpretation 51459193778 will be a better fit, but again, not sure.

Yes, funny that it's Alpine and not Harman Kardon, but I suspect it has to do with the fact that I have only the basic audio equipment with 4 speakers on it

Last edited by RO-CK; 06-04-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:06 PM

More parts needed..

Well, today I learned that the equipment mount that came with the car is definitively not compatible with CIC, as this unit is a lot taller and it needs more room to fit..

So anyone that wants to make this happen need a new equipment mount and a new lower cover panel. See attached diagram and are the parts needed are number 3 and number 6.. I had the number 5 lower cover panel

So now I will order those parts and in the meanwhile I'm trying to fit it with what I have to go to the programming part for this retrofit

Thoughts anyone? Has someone tried this? Am I really alone on this quest???

Last edited by RO-CK; 06-07-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Yeah part 51459193778 seems to be the correct one.
Equipment mount 1 51459193778
For vehicles with
On-board monitor with TV
or
Navigation system Professional
S602A=Yes
S609A=Yes

The other mount 51459193776 doesn't say for which vehicles.

Last edited by GreenW; 06-07-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:53 AM

Thanks for confirming.. At first I read it backwards like you did, and then I understood that my current equipment mount P/N 51459193777 was a no possible fit for the Navigation Professional System, so I read it again and figured the way the page was meant to be read... I have to wait 5 or 6 weeks for this part to get here.. In the meanwhile I'm going to adapt it, just to make sure the new system works on the long run.

Will keep u posted
Old 06-15-2012, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: Romania
Navi retrofit

I order the part nr.51459193778 , it fits perfect , i post when i will install it on the car ,
Regards
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...9&d=1339770147
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...0&d=1339770147
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...1&d=1339770147
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...2&d=1339770147
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120615_165419.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	329299   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120615_165429.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	329300   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120615_165502.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	329301   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120615_165523.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	329302  

Last edited by Turbatuccl; 06-15-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: x3
RO-CK, thanks for all the time you take to do this.

I want to buy one and luckily i have the Europe version so it should be plug and play but i have a couple of questions,

What do you mean by "add the usb cable, wire it to the glove box", do i need to buy a cable to do it, or it camoes on the car?

And do you think its possible to add a rear camera? where should i connect it?

thanks again and please try to take the time to take a picture of the usb cable
Old 06-20-2012, 08:36 AM

@Turbatuccl
Thanks for confirming this, I ordered this a week ago and I'm very pleased that you confirmed that I made the right call, so now it's only waiting time to make this work as it should

@jbrande

In my experience it's not plug and play at all, I'm even in the middle of some kind of dispute with the seller because he told me that only navigation had to be activated and that's not true: You need to code it, buy FSC Activation codes, equipment mounts and rewire some things.. What you need to have in mind:

1) Do you have a 6.5" screen with the radio? If so, you need the equipment mount and lower cover described above
2) What kind of KOMBI (Instrument Cluster / Speedometer) do you have.. If you have a basic one or BKOMBI like mine, you need coding to tell the CIC that now it has to talk to a different KOMBI or it wont work at all
3) If you had RVC (Reverse Camera), you need to rewire the cables.. If you don't have it, you can add it and I can show you where you have it to connect it on the CIC (3 Cables) -- I don't know how many cables does the reverse camera comes with. But if they are only 3, then you will be fine.
4) Like it was stated above, the BMW Navigation Professional comes with internal HD Drive, that you can use to store music on it. The USB Cable that I'm talking about it's a different one that comes with COMBOX, because this one is only used to upload/download music to the HD Drive of the unit, it goes inside the glove box, open your glove box and you will see that you have a space where a USB plug would fit.. It does not matter that your car came with USB drive to play music, you have to add this to the CIC to have it working correctly.

When I finish all my retrofit, I will post updated instructions and pictures of the glovebox, mounts and RVC Camera wiring so you can see which cable goes where if you decide to do this. In the meanwhile I recommend that you get your hands on a E-Net cable or make your own

Hope this helps

Last edited by RO-CK; 06-20-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 AM

RO-CK

Thanks for your fast answer... ok so its not as easy as i thought...

Yes i have the small screen but i was thinking to get the same set as you by ebay...

How do i know what Kombi i have?

i dont have a reverse camera i thought about getting one to set everything togeteher...

but i dont think that is a esay task anymore i just wanted the bigger screen dvd play nad some other features, Navi would not work as there is no Panama maps available..

There is any other difference between the professional one and the basic one apart of that and the HD?

does it really worth it now that you told me that is not that easy?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:27 PM

@jbrande

Hey, I'm located at Guatemala and NO navigation maps for us either, so Navigation is not and option as well...

Take a picture of your Speedometer/Kombi and post it here and I'll tell you which one you have.

About the differences, mmm I'm not sure if it's really worth it, upgrades I had of doing this:

1) Bigger HD Screen - Looks beautiful, you will notice the difference - (However, there are some people that say that you can just swap the small 6.5" screen with the 8.8" and program your CIC_MED to use with the bigger screen << I have tried to plug the bigger screen with the old stereo and did not work properly, but I did not try to code it and see if it was working)
2) DVD Playing capacity
3) HD storage (You can store all your music on your HD of the new CIC and just play it from there)
4) Internet, Video Media Player from Ipod, BMW Apps, etc (Had to be activated, programming required)

What I lost on the upgrade and for the moment will not activate as they quoted me 499 euro just for this:

1) Voice Commands

So at this point I'm not even sure that it was worth it, but when I purchase a new car I always get the upgrade fever and just had to do it...

There is another option, you can talk to a Polish guy named Patryk (http://www.bimmer-tech.net/) that gets the job done for you, including instructions, programming and FSC Activation codes for Voice Commands and other things.. So you may want to contact him and see how much he quotes you for the hole deal)

Last edited by RO-CK; 06-20-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:04 PM

ok i have pictues of my kombi... please let me know if this is the right one...

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	330080
also please note that my air console is different that yours, tis will be a problem?

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	330081
Old 06-21-2012, 12:52 PM

Name:	IMG_0036[1].jpg
Views:	252
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	330171
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0029.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	330085  

Last edited by jbrande; 06-22-2012 at 06:28 AM. Reason: change picture
Old 11-02-2012, 02:52 PM

Finally got the project completed!!

Ok guys, just to confirm that the parts posted before by myself and the pictures posted by Turbatuccl on previous posts were indeed the correct ones.. After several months of waiting got them last week from the stealer and installed them successfully on my X3. All is good now.

Will update this thread with more pictures only if someone needs me too

Thank you all for your support and help on this process

Cheers!

Last edited by RO-CK; 11-02-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Please update. I regret not getting the bigger screen with the nab and would like to add t to my x3
Old 12-19-2012, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Bump! I really want to do this retrofit and would like some further guidance from you rock
Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: F25 2.0D
Quote:
Originally Posted by RO-CK View Post
Ok guys, just to confirm that the parts posted before by myself and the pictures posted by Turbatuccl on previous posts were indeed the correct ones.. After several months of waiting got them last week from the stealer and installed them successfully on my X3. All is good now.

Will update this thread with more pictures only if someone needs me too

Thank you all for your support and help on this process

Cheers!
Hi RO-CK

Was hoping you could update the guide and complete it. I am thinking of changing my smaller screen to the larger one with extended bluetooth and internet.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 09:29 AM

Hello guys,

Sorry for returning so late to the party, I will try to answer all your questions about this FYI, but keep in mind the following:

1) I only swapped the main CIC unit and the screen with the previous one
2) I had to purchase the 2 parts described above to make this fit, see the first post
-Equipment Mount - P/N 51459193778
-Lower cover panel centerstack - P/N 51459201670
3) The USB cable that I was talking about is not the one that plugs to the iPhone or plays from a USB Drive, this already came with my car when originally purchased. The one I am talking about goes inside the glovebox and it's just used to upload music to the HD Drive of the CIC unit.
4) You need to switch some cables to make the reverse camera work again, I'll see if I can find the diagram
5) You need to tell the CIC, that you have the BASIC_KOMBI as it was my type of speedo

So, shoot the questions and I'll do my best to answer them

Regards!