Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 645 Ci
Question P0444 Fuel tank breather valve

Hi everyone,

I'm new here as a user but not new to this site/forum. This site has helped me a lot in the past and saved a lot of money.

I was hoping to get some help on a new problem:

I got the engine emission light on this generated a P0444 error which says: fuel tank breather valve stuck in open.

My question is: can someone help me with a DIY how to fix this and which part to buy.
And can I do I myself(I'm handy and willing to get my hands dirty).

Again thanks for all the help.
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2013, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
CCV valve

I took my 2005 645Ci in for the service engine soon light P0444 and they told me it was the crank case breathers. They wanted $260 Us dollars for the repair. I bought the parts for $60 and replaced them in about 15 minutes. There is a CCV DIY on this forum.
The dealer reset the code and hopefully the light doesnt come back. since it has been so long since you posted have your remedied the problem if so how?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 06' BMW 650i
In general, the codes that say "EVAP" are related to the fuel vapor recovery/scrubbing system: The gas cap, the charcoal canister underneath/beside the gas tank, the related tubes & equipment. Make sure your gas cap is tightened securely, clear the code, and drive around for a couple of days. (loose gas cap is the most common cause of EVAP codes, and is free & easy to fix).
Old 05-20-2013, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 645 Ci
Dear OUalarca,

I looked up the part associated with the P0444 error and ordered it.
Replacing took 10 minutes only. I did not need to reset the system after replacing.
The error went away and hasn't come back on ever since.

I can try and look up what you need(part number) and send you a pic of where the
hose is you need to replace if you haven't done it already.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

Regards,

Dutch645
Old 08-09-2013, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: 645 ci
I am having the same issue, with the p0444 i am about to give up and take it to a stealership, before i do that, i do have a friend that works at a independent bmw shop, we replace purge valve, problem came back replaced gas cap, came back , we put smoke into the hoses no leaks he is recomending to buy a vapor detection pump leak which will cost me 115 dollars, brand new, but i dont have enough money to be changing every component on the vehicle related to emissions, which i am almost there the only thing i havent done is the ccv and the canister purge, how can i find out the real problem withouth going to a stealership, which might tell me that the issue is not even the real issue and just waiting to change parts for the heck of it, supossibly my friend that works for the shop his boss has a computer that cost 16k ? if his computer is so good should not be telling exactly where the problem is at? or its basically a guessing game?!
Old 08-09-2013, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 645 ci
What surprises me the most my vehicle has currently 45800 milles on it 05 645ci ? any suggestion?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
P0444

GEE21,

Replace your ccv there is two of them about $25 dollar each and only takes 10 min. chek the diy section for thus task, when you remove them you may notice the diaphragm will be torn. use you existing caps for some reason the caps that come with them don't have the nipple for the hose. You'll have to reset the code. Autozone can do this for you.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Here is a post that TampaMark started concerning coding that can be done by yourself, with the BMTechnic software & cable. I think the price is around 80.00, & you can do anything the dealer can do! Troubleshooting a BMW is quite technical, & ordinary OBD2 readers will not reveal the exact problem. This kit will offer you the software for troubleshooting, coding, & the BMW TIS service manual. Order the kit and save yourself tons of money, & replace the right part the first time. BMTechnic has a forum that will step you thru how to use the software for coding, & repair.

Please take this advice & save yourself money, time, & learn how to work on your BMW yourself! The normal shipping time is 10 days, due to shipping from overseas.

Good Luck!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=678446